Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trumps amazing year end accomplisments
While no one was looking... partly because of the obsession with the "things Trump says", I thought I'd get everyone caught up.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/year-one-list-81-major-trump-achievements-11-obama-legacy-items-repealed/article/2644159
Quote:According to the White House, the 81 accomplishments are in 12 major categories and include well over 100 other minor achievements.
Mellow

I let the the guys on the right enjoy this.  They don't understand how it's wrong...but they'll enjoy it.

Then the policy guys can explain what is wrong with this list of "accomplishments".

Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Hm, many of those things only are accomplishments for people with a certain ideology. Others will see it differently, so the term seems a bit misleading.

As for regulations, I do wonder how it's percieved as unequivocally good if those get canned. A bit simplistic, isn't it? Regulation = bad. Because on the other hand, regulations ensure worker's safety, environmental protection or avoiding a new financial crisis etc. - I guess some of those are unnecessary and Trump probably caught some of those, if so credit if and when it's due. Overall, to me celebrating a regulation cutback simply by number of regulations canned seems like celebrating additional power to corporations - which usually doesn't translate to more quality of life for the people, but rather is an additional step towards an oligarchy, where you're either rich or screwed.

OK, whatever. What really struck me as strange is celebrating how respect for the US in the world is restored. I can quite assure that this is not the case in Europe, I have my doubts about the rest of the world. European leaders and diplomats now see the Trump-led US as unreliable and Trump is widely regarded as an idiot in those circles. Respectful comments are nowhere to be seen (outside of Poland or really right-wing politicians), disrespectful ones are quite common. There's nothing "restored" and this tagline seems really cheap and quite untruthful. I get "who cares", I do not get "they finally respect us again".
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Yeah, those are only accomplishments of the Trump administration if you play fast and loose and with the term accomplishment. And fast and loose with where the responsibility lays. And fast and loose with what is positive. And fast and loose with facts.

Long story short, this is just more propagandic bullshit that could be easily dismantled by anyone with an understanding of how these sorts of things work. Hell, just being able to think critically about anything should drive you to the conclusion that the vast majority of this is hokum. But people prefer their subjective truths based on a peripheral argument than objective facts from a systematic one.
If the Nation has accomplished things that he promised to get done, then yes it is an accomplishment. Whether some view them as positives or negatives does not take away from the goal being accomplished. Likewise, trying to jump through hoops to determine who is ultimately responsible for the accomplishment does not change the fact that it was accomplished during his reign. However, sour grapes are sour.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(12-27-2017, 02:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

I let the the guys on the right enjoy this.  They don't understand how it's wrong...but they'll enjoy it.

Then the policy guys can explain what is wrong with this list of "accomplishments".

Smirk

Of course no disrespect intended, just pointing out that folks on the right are clueless. 

(12-27-2017, 07:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If the Nation has accomplished things that he promised to get done, then yes it is an accomplishment. Whether some view them as positives or negatives does not take away from the goal being accomplished. Likewise, trying to jump through hoops to determine who is ultimately responsible for the accomplishment does not change the fact that it was accomplished during his reign. However, sour grapes are sour.

I’m not sure how this is sour grapes, where someone downplays their desire for something they can’t have. Unless you’re saying people want him to have accomplishments and he isn’t actually accomplishing things, but I don’t think that was the direction you wanted to go.
(12-27-2017, 08:17 PM)Benton Wrote: I’m not sure how this is sour grapes, where someone downplays their desire for something they can’t have. Unless you’re saying people want him to have accomplishments and he isn’t actually accomplishing things, but I don’t think that was the direction you wanted to go.
 .....or if folks wanted a failed Presidency that could not fulfill its campaign promises and they can't have it. Then those that wanted the non-productive Presidency try to put a negative spin on things that were accomplished are displaying (what's the phrase I'm looking for.....) sour something.

Yep, went the direction I want to go; I just lost you along the way.   

They've really lowered the bar on accomplishments, especially compared to the most failed President ever, Obama.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(12-27-2017, 07:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course no disrespect intended, just pointing out that folks on the right are clueless. 

Yes.

The people who believe this propaganda will be on the right.  They will also be wrong.

Thanks for understanding.  ThumbsUp
(12-27-2017, 05:47 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Long story short, this is just more propagandic bullshit that could be easily dismantled by anyone with an understanding of how these sorts of things work.

Seems like you are always biased towards facts (of the non-alternative variety), competence and truth, Bels. 

As a result, you are biased against people who don't understand how things work.

Instead of always complaining about what Trump says, maybe you should get caught up on what he says he does--
That is far more than any president ever in his first year! LMAO LMAO
(12-27-2017, 07:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If the Nation has accomplished things that he promised to get done, then yes it is an accomplishment. Whether some view them as positives or negatives does not take away from the goal being accomplished. Likewise, trying to jump through hoops to determine who is ultimately responsible for the accomplishment does not change the fact that it was accomplished during his reign. However, sour grapes are sour.

So when constructing a list of Trump's accomplishments, it is ok if Trump gets credit for what he didn't do?

Whether some viewed Jim Crow laws as positive or negative does not take away from the fact they were "accomplished." Where does a standard like that get us?  Shouldn't we be evaluating "accomplishments" on whether they are good for the country, not simply whether they are "done"? People who oppose incompetent, shortsighted policy goals set by Republican donors just have sour grapes?

And speaking of "done," wow. Did you actually read that list of "accomplishments"? 

Some of them are indeed accomplished, like reversing Obama executive orders. Others are vague claims to "making progress," or taking credit for the Obama economy. 

He ordered a new national strategy and nuclear posture review, did he? LOL I'm sure he was working late into the night on that one! Did you count how many actually incomplete and routine-for-every president accomplishments are added to puff up the list?

Trump "traveled to the Middle East and Europe to build new relationships" and "pushed for" funding for women's entrepreneurship in Poland. LOL "pushed for"; I'm pushing for the Steelers to win another SB. Put that on my list of accomplishments this year. Major major major. Nevermind most people in the foreign policy establishment (who won't take positions in his administration) think he has diminished US power and leadership in the world.  He GOT A TRIP DONE.

One simply cannot normalize the Trump presidency without wrecking the traditional standards of competence and ethical behavior which have applied to other presidents.
(12-27-2017, 09:58 PM)Dill Wrote: So when constructing a list of Trump's accomplishments, it is ok if Trump gets credit for what he didn't do?

Sure it is; especially if it was something that he promised would happen during his time in office. Presidents actually "do" very little. You do know Obama didn't actually catch Bin Laden don't you; however, I give him credit for doing so. 

As to the rest I must admit I stopped reading at Jim Crow. 

(12-27-2017, 02:41 PM)Vlad Wrote: While no one was looking... partly because of the obsession with the "things Trump says", I thought I'd get everyone caught up.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/year-one-list-81-major-trump-achievements-11-obama-legacy-items-repealed/article/2644159

Gosh Vlad, this is what, the 3rd or 4th time in the last month that I have to caution you about posting unvetted lists?

Like whataboutism, this has become a preferred rhetorical tactic on the right. They provide the illusion of QUANTITY, I guess.

So Trump DECLARES an opioid emergency.  Well done sir!  Did you look very closely at what followed from that?
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-opioids-20171026-story.html

Can you not tell when staff are cherry picking through existing policy initiatives to find "accomplishments"?
  • His Council of Economic Advisors played a role in determining that overdoses are underreported by as much as 24 percent.
  • The Department of Health and Human Services laid out a new five-point strategy to fight the crisis.
  • Justice announced it was scheduling fentanyl substances as a drug class under the Controlled Substances Act.
  • Justice started a fraud crackdown, arresting more than 400.
Called for, Ordered? These are great too! Especially the second one.
  • Trump has nominated 73 federal judges and won his nomination of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court. [some help from Mitch on that one]
  • Ordered ethical standards including a lobbying ban.
  • Called for a comprehensive plan to reorganize the executive branch.
  • Ordered an overhaul to modernize the digital government.
  • Called for a full audit of the Pentagon and its spending.
Ha ha anyone with editing skills in the WH?
(12-27-2017, 10:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure it is; especially if it was something that he promised would happen during his time in office. Presidents actually "do" very little. You do know Obama didn't actually catch Bin Laden don't you; however, I give him credit for doing so. 

As to the rest I must admit I stopped reading at Jim Crow. 

Offended by civil discourse while defending the most uncivil president in US history? You missed the part about wrecking standards to normalize Trump.

A "non productive" president, Obama's first year in office he did not list "pushed to get bin Laden" as an "accomplishment."
It was not an accomplishment until it was done.

And killing bin laden was not something he did "little" to accomplish. That was the most hands on operation in spec op history, with the riskiest international consequences.

Lot of Big talk and chest thumping from the white house. Being trump laid the ground work with his Fake News shtick, he can claim anything and his base will believe him.
I'm waiting to see my net take home pay go up from this wonderful tax cut.
Trump once more is trying to discredit the FBI and the whole Mueller investigation. Why? If he didn't do anything wrong why not let it proceed unimpeded? If it is revealed that he was in bed with Putin, is he going with his Fake News shtick again? Oh my. Ninja
I love these PAC ads that can say or do whatever they want with no need to rely on truth or facts.

Because rubes believe them hook, line and sinker.

Then get offended when someone points out how wrong they are.

I dislike Hitler comparisons...but German leaders during WWII would have LOVED the modern social media as a way to push their propaganda.