Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trumps wall
(01-06-2017, 05:15 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: The wall will pay for itself in a few years. there is no doubt about that.

People were concerned with how hard I laughed at this.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-06-2017, 05:15 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: The wall will pay for itself in a few years. there is no doubt about that.

The estimated cost is $25 billion. I'm not sure how it would pay for itself over the next few decades, let alone years.

From talks I've had with pro-wall and pro-Trump folks, they seem to think taxable income from the jobs done by illegals is going to create billions in revenue. But there's a couple problems there. First, those jobs in large part are low paying. Under $10 an hour. We have a lot of those jobs now... and the middle class is already footing the bill for that. We don't generate much in taxes off those jobs. If anything, the taxes we do get are from the middle class business owners who pay taxes and say they can't operate if they can't pay people substandard wages (so, in other words, they say they'd have to close down). Second, Tack on another $400 billion. That's what it will cost to round up and deport all the illegal immigrants. And that's on the low side. And since companies bring in illegal workers by the truckload or smuggle them in tunnels under the same spot the fence would go, tack on $10 billion annually (a conservative number since presumably some of them wouldn't return) to round up illegals each year and ship them out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Ugh, I was REALLY hoping Trump would have dropped the charade long before we got to this point. I can't believe our president elect is lying to the American people (well, those that have and use Twitter, and those he hasn't unconstitutionally(?) blocked) via social media.

So my question for the right-wingers who support this notion....is this going to pay for itself faster than the whole "charging taxpayers to fund government drug-testing on welfare recipients" thing?
Maybe the wall is included in the $9.75 Trillion hunk of garbage they are trying to currently push through.

Bless Rand Paul for stopping them.

Anything hurried like that cannot be good.
And I'm sick of kicking the deficit can down the road.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(01-06-2017, 05:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: Alright, I'll bite.

How?

(01-06-2017, 05:52 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Dying to hear this one. I bet it won't even be done in a "few years."

(01-06-2017, 05:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: People were concerned with how hard I laughed at this.

I have already proven it before. Do a search with my name. It'sin a post back before Trumpwon.

Money saved from paying for anchor babies alone will start to save money in a few years.

Benton, I have already shown one way to pay for the wall and it can generate $ 20-25 Billion per year.

Keep right on laughing. 
If this clown and his pissed off minions are serious about securing the southern border, they need to get real. This moronic wall isn't feasible. They've been working on I 75 though downtown Dayton for years. That's a 2-3 mile stretch of road. Does anybody think this thing will be done in 4 years? Wouldn't a Maginot line style series of minefields and gun turrets be more practical and cost effective?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(01-06-2017, 10:40 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I have already proven it before. Do a search with my name. It'sin a post back before Trumpwon.

Money saved from paying for anchor babies alone will start to save money in a few years.

Benton, I have already shown one way to pay for the wall and it can generate $ 20-25 Billion per year.

Keep right on laughing. 

I did a search for:

Mike m anchor babies <--- no results

Mike anchor babies <-- no results

Mike m pay <-- no results

Mike M wall <--three results (none of which were about how the wall would pay for itself)

So maybe you could direct me int he right direction?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-06-2017, 10:55 PM)jason Wrote: Wouldn't a Maginot line style series of minefields and gun turrets be more practical and cost effective?

They'll just hire a German consultant.
Ninja
(01-06-2017, 10:57 PM)GMDino Wrote: So maybe you could direct me int he right direction?

I once made a little thread called "right-wing populism". There Mike lays out some financing and revenue ideas for the wall, starting page 2. But be warned, these are leeeengthy exchanges.
Anchor babies page 4.
(01-07-2017, 12:56 AM)hollodero Wrote: I once made a little thread called "right-wing populism". There Mike lays out some financing and revenue ideas for the wall, starting page 2. But be warned, these are leeeengthy exchanges.
Anchor babies page 4.

Thanks.

I got as far as his first claim that 225B leaves the US and Trump will tax it before I found out his numbers were wrong.

(09-21-2016, 08:16 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Withholding transfers is not the best move, but charging a 10-15-20% tax on all money leaving the country will easily get that money in less than a year and keep a steady supply of money coming in to keep up maintenance and pay the salaries of the people guarding the wall.

$225B leaves the US annually.  Did I hear you asking for it to be raised by 10 more feet?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/us/politics/immigrants-find-it-cheaper-to-send-money-home.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Quote:The total remittance transfers sent across the globe from the United States in recent years are almost $50 billion annually, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis, or roughly the equivalent of the government’s foreign aid budget. (Estimates by the World Bank suggest that the figure is significantly higher, close to $100 billion per year, according to Dilip Ratha, an economist who leads the World Bank’s remittances program.)

Even Breitbart says its less

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/02/23/gao-u-s-largest-source-of-remittances-in-the-world-mexico-china-receive-most-u-s-money/

Quote:The United States is the largest source of remittances — or funds sent overseas by foreign-born residents — in the world, according to the Government Accountability Office.

A new GAO report, requested by Sen. David Vitter (R-LA) and House Budget Chairman Tom Price M.D. (R-GA), reveals that foreign-born residents in the U.S. sent $54.2 billion in remittances abroad in 2014. Mexico, China, India, and the Philippines received the most money.

And not all of that is to Mexico. 

I don't know if I have the stamina to check all his plans.   Smirk
(01-06-2017, 10:55 PM)jason Wrote: If this clown and his pissed off minions are serious about securing the southern border, they need to get real. This moronic wall isn't feasible. They've been working on I 75 though downtown Dayton for years. That's a 2-3 mile stretch of road. Does anybody think this thing will be done in 4 years? Wouldn't a Maginot line style series of minefields and gun turrets be more practical and cost effective?

Dude they've been working on that stretch of highway since I can remember memories.
(01-06-2017, 10:40 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I have already proven it before. Do a search with my name. It'sin a post back before Trumpwon.

Keep right on laughing. 

even the most right wing sources agree anchor baby rates have dropped over the last decade (thanks Obama!). Soooo... Even if you figure a few hundred thousand people (the more alt right estimate) at a hundred thousand dollars each, factor in the taxes they will pay, it's going to take you a looooong time to pay of $$425 billion.

its like prisons. Yeah, on paper it sounds good to round up hundreds of thousands of drug abusers and pay to house, feed and care for them, plus the costs of arresting and prosecuting them.... But the actual application of the "war on drugs" had been a huge money pit. Why? Because people keep doing drugs! You arrest one, another person starts using.

same problem with the wall. Build a wall, they'll dig a tunnel.

I've said before, if you want to end illegal immigration, go after employers. If there's no economic incentive, illegal workers wont come here.
(01-07-2017, 01:14 AM)GMDino Wrote: Thanks.

I got as far as his first claim that 225B leaves the US and Trump will tax it before I found out his numbers were wrong.

Now economics really isn't my strong suit and all, but isn't he talking about the total money sent abroad, while you only talk about the money sent abroad from foreign-borns...? Which means his number still could be about right, because additionally US born citizens send money abroad too. Or did I miss something.

(01-07-2017, 01:14 AM)GMDino Wrote: I don't know if I have the stamina to check all his plans.   Smirk

Guess you're just a low energy person then.
Lots of Obama people in here!

[Image: y5pi7.jpg]

(01-07-2017, 01:58 AM)hollodero Wrote: Now economics really isn't my strong suit and all, but isn't he talking about the total money sent abroad, while you only talk about the money sent abroad from foreign-borns...? Which means his number still could be about right, because additionally US born citizens send money abroad too. Or did I miss something.

Well he was talking remittance and said it didn't include the money sent abroad by companies so I'm guessing no.

At midnight I am about as low energy as I'm gonna get!  LOL!
(01-07-2017, 02:14 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Lots of Obama people in here!

[Image: y5pi7.jpg]

Someone thinks the wall is ridiculous so obviously they are "Obama people" and carry around a free cellphone.

Only logical conclusion. LOL
(01-07-2017, 03:05 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Someone thinks the wall is ridiculous so obviously they are "Obama people" and carry around a free cellphone.

Only logical conclusion. LOL

Right. While evading taxes and defunding the VA is lauded as patriotic.
(01-07-2017, 03:19 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Right. While evading taxes and defunding the VA is lauded as patriotic.

Don't forget about mocking a P.O.W.

Make America Great Again!
(01-07-2017, 01:58 AM)hollodero Wrote: Now economics really isn't my strong suit and all, but isn't he talking about the total money sent abroad, while you only talk about the money sent abroad from foreign-borns...? Which means his number still could be about right, because additionally US born citizens send money abroad too. Or did I miss something.

I'd imagine Wall proponents would also argue that a nearly equal amount is shipped out through the drug trade, even though I wouldn't have any idea how calculate such a thing.
I also doubt a wall would put a huge dent in it, either.
Now, federally legalizing weed, on the other hand....
(01-07-2017, 08:09 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'd imagine Wall proponents would also argue that a nearly equal  amount is shipped out through the drug trade, even though I wouldn't have any idea how calculate such a thing.
I also doubt a wall would put a huge dent in it, either.
Now, federally legalizing weed, on the other hand....
and taxing it.

imagine the wall you could build with weed tax money. Or, instead of something ridiculous, you could offset healthcare or education expenses, pay off national debt, improve crumbling infrastructure

but, no, lets keep it illegal and waste billions on a huge wall people can go around or under.