Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Truth is I'm going to miss someone I've never met
Inspired by Hobson's article on Whit (http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Grateful-Whit-takes-place-in-Bengaldom-annals/062f82c2-2860-4672-8df0-e0f2af263fc5), I got all reminiscent about the past 11 years Big Whit played here. Can't say I ever saw him do anything but play his butt off. Over the years, I caught myself reading every article written about him, which usually left me enthused and hopeful about the team. Even with last year's fiasco, his presence made it seem like we still had a chance; that his leadership would prop up the ones who needed it, and the rough spots would eventually disappear. And with a heart the size befitting a man his size, the off-field stories did nothing but prove he led by example in his personal life. If ever there was a 'Man's Man', Big Whit is it.

While I've wanted to see changes for this team, Andrew Whitworth leaving before his playing days were up was NOT one of them. Sorry to see ya go,, Whit. I never met ya, but I'm sure gonna miss ya.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Literally and figuratively, huge shoes to fill.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I'll never forget the 08 Jacksonville game when he fought John Henderson. I took a good friend of mine and it was his first Bengals game. He thought it was the greatest thing ever when Whit started thowing down.
Reply/Quote
Nice post, I don't know if we as a whole realize what he meant to the team. Shame he couldn't stay, but even if he doesn't win a ring in LA his family is going to be taken care of better now.
Reply/Quote
Well stated OP
REP
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
When you read the article, don't miss Whit's statement that he hopes to come back here one day and retire a Bengal.

Andrew Whitworth may be my all-time favorite Bengal. A total class act, on and off the field. I wish him nothing but the best.
Reply/Quote
I am not sure how competitive our offer would have been when you factor in the taxes in California...it isn't a small difference.

Regardless, I understand and respect his decision. It does feel a bit sad, though, as a rock of our franchise leaves and it feels very wrong. Reminds me a lot of when Willie left.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 03:20 AM)phil413 Wrote: Nice post, I don't know if we as a whole realize what he meant to the team.  Shame he couldn't stay, but even if he doesn't win a ring in LA his family is going to be taken care of better now.

Very true.  Of course, he's going to retire with as many SB rings as you or I possess, but he wasn't going to get one here, either. So, at least he maximized his payoff.  Good for him. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
This is the one FA loss that really hurts. Just because I don't believe they have a capable back-up at this point. I hope I'm proven wrong.
Reply/Quote