Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to quit smoking
After reading this thread again, I woke up this morning thinking about quitting.

I'll give it another try soon...I have too.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2016, 01:22 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: After reading this thread again, I woke up this morning thinking about quitting.

I'll give it another try soon...I have too.

No time like the present brother.....head on out and get you some Jolly Ranchers and a shit load of toothpicks. ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2016, 09:57 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Among other flat out poisons.

Worse comes to worse, you could always eat tomatoes  not stop. They have minute amounts of natural nicotine.

Interesting.....I did not know that.  I eat them everyday, literally, as I eat tons of salad.  Maybe that's why I have no problem not smoking except for a handful of times a year. Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2016, 11:09 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: [Image: tomacco.jpg]

You know when I learned about tomatoes having nicotine in them, that was literally the first thing I thought of.

There are actually quite a number of different foods with naturally occurring nicotine in them. When I first quit (I'm on quit number two) I did a bunch of research into nicotine itself.

Nicotine in of itself isn't bad, nor is tobacco per sé; the real damage comes from the additives - much like everything else in life. I'll see if I can find some of the old ingredient lists I found for major brand cigarettes - it's some nasty shit.

Edit: I found a list of common vegetables and the amount of nicotine therein: http://www.vidarholen.net/contents/junk/nicotine.html

Edit the second: a list of the more lovely ingredients of nearly every cigarette. It's pretty gruesome when it's laid out bare. http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/whats-in-a-cigarette.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
Switched to ecigs and vaping almost four years ago...started vaping with max nicotine and am now down to less than 3 mcg.

Not a puff on an analog the whole time...i know there's shit in these things that's probably bad for me but I can't imagine it's worse than cigs.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2016, 01:01 PM)kdgjr Wrote: Switched to ecigs and vaping almost four years ago...started vaping with max nicotine and am now down to less than 3 mcg.

Not a puff on an analog the whole time...i know there's shit in these things that's probably bad for me but I can't imagine it's worse than cigs.

tried that could never fully switch always had issues with the vape machine thingy where it would leak the oil in my mouth  even after buying a newer expensive one it still happened.. So I could never fully switch over cause half the damn time the thing didn't work right.

So I just stopped with the vaping all together. 

There are some good tricks to quiting though.

1.  Force yourself outside everytime you smoke
2.  Stock up on suckers or gum
3.  Stop drinking or doing any activities that lead to a smoke for a few days (besides eating, awaking up lol)

my main problem is I don't really wanna quit. I like to smoke and cigs are cheaper than most other things to smoke.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2016, 03:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: tried that could never fully switch always had issues with the vape machine thingy where it would leak the oil in my mouth  even after buying a newer expensive one it still happened.. So I could never fully switch over cause half the damn time the thing didn't work right.

So I just stopped with the vaping all together. 

There are some good tricks to quiting though.

1.  Force yourself outside everytime you smoke
2.  Stock up on suckers or gum
3.  Stop drinking or doing any activities that lead to a smoke for a few days (besides eating, awaking up lol)

my main problem is I don't really wanna quit. I like to smoke and cigs are cheaper than most other things to smoke.
Funny enough, drinking a few beers has taken the edge off of my cravings. I thought it would totally kick the craving in. Sitting there sober and thinking about it is the worst.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 02:15 PM)Benton Wrote: I used Chantix after using nicotine gum. Gum for a couple years, Chantix to quit the gum. I know more people who Chantix doesn't work for than those it did, but I took it for two days and didn't want nicotine at all. I took it a full week to make sure, and haven't looked back. That was a few years ago. I was a two pack a day smoker before that.

It's rough, but you can do it. The best thing to do though is move and don't go anywhere you normally smoke.

I have a slice on my neck from my ear to my esophagus from a surgery two years ago to clean out my carotid artery. I also have aortic stenosis which the valve will have to be replaced within the next few years. Heart Dr. gives me lectures everytime I go see him because I'm still smoking. When I mean lectures, the dude is pretty ruthless. So anyway, as I've been feeling not as well the last few months, I decided I was going to try and quit.

I started Chantix yesterday. I've been on it before and failed and had zero side effects. Good lord, not the case this time around. After a few hours of taking the pill yesterday, I started feeling depressed. This morning, as I walk out onto the porch to have my morning smoke I am having strong thoughts that I've accomplished nothing in life and that I'm a terrible husband and father. I felt anxious, depressed on the edge of crying. I was like, WTF? I had to reason with myself that these things are not true. It was a powerful feeling of depression that covered me like a cold wet blanket.

Not taking that shit today. I can just see me going to work tomorrow and start crying or something ridiculous because my stapler broke. However, I will give it a shot again and start next Friday and hope those side effects ween out before Monday. If not, I will go back to the patches. I was able to quit for 2yrs on those. But I wore the patches for a year which is a no-no. Yet the way I figured it, it was better than the alternative.

I wish the side effects of wet dreams were what I was experiencing. No, I get stuck with the "Your a peice of shit and deserve to die" effect. Maybe if I crush it and snort it off my wifes ass, things will be different? LOL

Reply/Quote
Do yourself a HUGE favor and once you think you've beat the habit never temp fate again ,not even one puff.. I've quit a few times and it only takes just one stinking puff from even an old cigarette butt to get you started again . Last time I had thought I was done I'd been in the hospital for a few weeks and thought I'd beaten it, but my daughter picked me up and in her car was a full ashtray, but I got in the car and knew I was had even before the door was closed.. I tried to resist, but temptation was just too much.  I took that first puff and was back to the races..  I'm almost convinced that the only way I'm going to finally quit for good will be to get arrested and spend a few months locked up for some stupid petty crime..  I'm going on 45 years with this crummy habit . I've kicked heroin and drinking every day,  but smoking has been the one I haven't been able to kick . I suppose there are worse things than smoking although I can't think of anything harder to resist . Unfortunately for me is that I have an addictive personality . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
A lot of people have addictive personalities. Rather it be drinking, smoking, eating, etc. I think they’re more present than we like to admit. And yes Gramps your correct. Out of all the times I’ve quit, that first puff was the deal breaker.

Reply/Quote
I quit drinking a long time ago, but I still dip. I don't know how I'd even begin to quit. I don't have the deep down desire to quit that I know it would take. I go to the dentist every six months and check my mouth regularly so hopefully if I get anything it will be discovered early on.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I'm a big advocate for vaping as a way to stop smoking. I started vaping on 6mg of nicotine, and never smoked again. I eventually tapered down to 0mg. Then I just quit vaping altogether. That's been like 4 or 5 years ago. It's nice to wake up in the morning and not hack up a lung.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I only smoke after I have sex. I haven't had cigarette in two years.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 06:30 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: I only smoke after I have sex. I haven't had cigarette in two years.

Tired of replacing ceilings and roofs there Superman? A fap gets you at least 1/2 a smoke. Right?  Wait... That's why your not counting them. Nice move! Hide the obvious.

[Image: h49E1FCBA]

Reply/Quote
I started smoking and smoking back in the mid to late 90s. I finally in last couple of years kicked both habits, though I do miss the other smoking more than anything.

Anyhoots what helped me make the transition was switching to pipe tobacco for awhile. I have a vaper, vape nation yoz, but just didnt cut it. It was like breathing in flavored wet air. But with the pipe (at home cause I didnt want to be the only person under 70 out in publlic with one), it really did the mental trick to get me to kick the habit. Not only did it taste good, smell good, it was pretty cheap as cigs are just way too expensive and not worth it at all.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Don’t think I could do the pipe and vape scares the shit out of me since A nurse explained what horrible outcome would be in years for vapors. Made it sound worse than cigs themselves and the harm on the lungs.

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 07:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Tired of replacing ceilings and roofs there Superman? A fap gets you at least 1/2 a smoke. Right?  Wait... That's why your not counting them. Nice move! Hide the obvious.

[Image: h49E1FCBA]
Hilarious Hilarious  Good luck quiting Harley. I]ll throw a few prayers your way. No need to thank me. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 06:30 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: I only smoke after I have sex.

Try more lube.

I get a little raw sometimes, but it never starts smoking.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2018, 02:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Try more lube.

I get a little raw sometimes, but it never starts smoking.

You must have the family size hand lotion then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
[Image: z-funny-131.jpg]

Reply/Quote