Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tua & Stephenson Concussions
I don't know what the Miami Dolphins will do with their QB who some doctors say should give up football after too many concussions. Stephenson of Reds has had too many concussions also, but I don't think he needs to give up baseball. Just stop using this good hitter as a catcher. OK, Votto will be back one more year. Move Stephenson to DH and let him start learning how to play first base in spring training and practices. This gives him a year to get some practice in at first. Plus he has played some first for Reds already. Stephenson has had too many concussions to be considered the future at catcher of more foul tips coming, but he could be the player to replace Votto. In the mean time he could DH.

The announcers have mentioned too many concussions for Stephenson and Reds need to stop using him as a catcher. Stephenson's future in baseball is at First Base or DH. After a person has a few concussions, doctors say that person can get concussions more often and far worse. So you don't want to see such players dead or paralyzed, the games are not worth that. Way to many foul balls as a catcher. Stephenson has played First Base and did OK, and he has been the DH. It would also solve who replaces Votto after next season.

Unless they plan on The Moose at Third, they may want to try and trade him. The concussions to Stephenson and Votto locked in one more season is enough people at First without adding The Moose to the list of players at First.

OK, some will say they like Stephenson as the catcher. So did I, but he has had way too many concussions. It is getting to where any foul tip at all puts him on the injured list. For his own health and for his Family, the guy needs moved from catching. The Reds can find another catcher.

Some may say he could get as many concussions at First Base. No, not at all. Catchers take a beating on foul tips. First Basemen do not.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
If Stephenson's bat is as good as it appears, I'd move him to 1B for his own health and to keep him on the field more.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The problem with moving him to first base is WHO will catch? Surely not Romine! Surely not any of the cup-of-coffee guys who filled in this year! They will have to go shopping for a starter in this case. Maybe they part time him there for Votto in his should-be final year, but they’ll still need a QUALITY second catcher who could move to full time duties in the event Tyler gets hurt or is moved to first base permanently.
Reply/Quote