Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tua or Burrow ?
Even if he never has another injury, that type of hip injury will inevitably lead to early-onset arthritis. Without his mobility Tua loses much of his game. I just don't trust his long term viability. Burrow is the way to go for the Bengals.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Is this a joke? Burrow, of course.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 04:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As Nately said, Burrow by a mile. Even if Tua is 100% he still has the history of getting hurt a lot. Burrow has been playing better
as of late. The one knock I have heard on Burrow is arm strength, guess what? Tua has an even weaker arm. Burrow has been 
more accurate lately and has better pocket presence and played his best against the best competition.

I sound like a broken frickin' record man. Smirk

Get him with Tom House and by year two (if he doesn't get with him this offseason) his deep ball won't be an issue!
Reply/Quote
If we had a crystal ball our choice would be so simple. We have strong opinions Burrow is a lot better than Tua, but is the talent or the injury history that causes the concern.

The safe pick having no idea how they perform the next 15 years right now is Burrow, but would not surprise me if Tua does as well or better than Burrow in the NFL over a career. Palmer had no injury history and was progressing nicely, then wham major knee injury and he went from great to good just like that in my opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 06:49 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: And LSU was not this year...Burrow was helped by talent also

No where near the same talent . Alabama has 3 first round WRs in starting lineup. Tua has 5 star recruits up n down the roster. Burrow has talent around him as well but not like Alabama does. The back up Quarterback at Alabama threw for 4 tds in the bowl game.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 08:29 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: No where near the same talent . Alabama has 3 first round WRs in starting lineup. Tua has 5 star recruits up n down the roster. Burrow has talent around him as well but not like Alabama does. The back up Quarterback at Alabama threw for 4 tds in the bowl game.

Not to mention Bama has the best college coach of all time.

Reply/Quote
It has to be Burrow.

I don't care if Tua is 100% healthy at the combine and blows the world up.

You just can't let a slam dunk like Burrow go to select a guy that's been injured twice in the same season, one of which was really bad and may have affected his mobility.
Reply/Quote
Tua is Andrew Luck minus the first 5 years.
Reply/Quote
Tua DOES NOT have a weaker arm!!! There are four of you that better start praying to your God right now, that Burrow isn't a bust or injured in ANY way! ( Busted thumb!!) No excuses for you folks. NONE!! No room for anything less than playoffs in his first year. NOTHING!!! NOTHING , less will be acceptable.

And, I am going to remind all four of you about it EVERY FN WEEK!! Every week!!!
That is just exactly how much BS and hype that you four have been slinging.

One of you also said that Burrow was the surest pick in this draft. He is not!! That would be Chase Young.

It's a win, win for me either way. Burrow wins, the Bengals win. Burrow loses and I'm going to call each if you out in a separate thread each week.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 02:26 PM)Trademark Wrote: I know I’ve been all in on Burrow but Tua said he’s feeling better with his hip. So would you rather have Tua or Burrow ?

Let someone else take the oft injured guy. Bengals have spent too many first round picks on injured players and have been burnt several times in the last 5 drafts from this.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 01:03 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Tua DOES NOT have a weaker arm!!! There are four of you that better start praying to your God right now, that Burrow isn't a bust or injured in ANY way! ( Busted thumb!!) No excuses for you folks. NONE!! No room for anything less than playoffs in his first year. NOTHING!!! NOTHING , less will be acceptable.

And, I am going to remind all four of you about it EVERY FN WEEK!! Every week!!!

One of you also said that Burrow was the surest pick in this draft. He is not!! That would be Chase Young.

It's a win, win for me either way. Burrow wins, the Bengals win. Burrow loses and I'm going to call each if you out in a separate thread each week.

Trolling other members is against the CoC.

Grow up.

Reply/Quote
There is no secret that I'm all for trading out of the top spot, but I have to agree with everyone else that Tua is not the answer. We've been down the road of drafting injured guys, I don't want someone that is going to spend the off-season rehabbing.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 02:26 PM)Trademark Wrote: I know I’ve been all in on Burrow but Tua said he’s feeling better with his hip. So would you rather have Tua or Burrow ?

With the draft approaching and Tua most likely to be that guy that ESPN flashes on camera every few minutes and says "Where will he go!?" as he slips to the end or out of the first round, what do you expect? Nobody wants to be that guy. 

As to the question, it's no question. First overall, you don't take a guy with a history of injury concerns. You don't have to get the next Brett Favre, but you don't want to take the next Eifert. A guy who only plays half a contract isn't doing you a lot of good.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 01:03 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote:  Burrow loses and I'm going to call each if you out in a separate thread each week.

Mellow

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Code-of-Conduct
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 01:03 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Tua DOES NOT have a weaker arm!!! There are four of you that better start praying to your God right now, that Burrow isn't a bust or injured in ANY way! ( Busted thumb!!) No excuses for you folks. NONE!! No room for anything less than playoffs in his first year. NOTHING!!! NOTHING , less will be acceptable.

And, I am going to remind all four of you about it EVERY FN WEEK!!  Every week!!!  

Get this kid some crayons! He has some angry "I told you so" letters to write!

[Image: angry-blue-crayon-in-the-character-shape...871040.jpg]
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

What do you expect Tua to say leading into the draft, "I think I'll be out of my wheelchair in time for the combine if it doesn't still hurt too much?"
Of course Burrow, no question.
Reply/Quote
Burrow's tape from this year is better than any single season worth of tape Tua can put together. I am not alone in this take as I have heard it publicly from some guys but also privately from one of the Scouts I occasionally talk to. The other piece of this is that while his hip may be doing well, he is now on his 3rd relatively major injury in only 24 starts i.e a season and a half in the NFL. I think Tua could potentially be Sam Bradford, a great college QB who in the NFL shows flashes but constantly being beat up will never let him achieve his potential.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 08:29 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: No where near the same talent    . Alabama has 3 first round WRs in starting lineup.  Tua has 5 star recruits up n down the roster.   Burrow has talent around him as well but not like Alabama does.  The back up Quarterback at Alabama threw for 4 tds in the bowl game.

Professional scouts are able to take the surrounding talent into consideration when judging a QB.  Carson Palmer played for a 6-6 USC team his junior season but was still considered the top QB in the country coming into his senior season.  Mahomes was drafted #10 despite playing for a 5-7 Texas Tech team.

Both Tua and Burrow got a lot of help from the talent around them.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 11:13 AM)Au165 Wrote: Burrow's tape from this year is better than any single season worth of tape Tua can put together. I am not alone in this take as I have heard it publicly from some guys but also privately from one of the Scouts I occasionally talk to. 

But there are scouts that disagree.  I have heard some say (I think it was Jaworski) that Tua has more skills and would be the #1 choice if healthy.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 11:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: But there are scouts that disagree.  I have heard some say (I think it was Jaworski) that Tua has more skills and would be the #1 choice if healthy.

Ron Jaworski also said he'd take Nick Foles over Russell Wilson and that Collin Kapernick could be the greatest QB of all time...that said it's an inexact science, my point though was the narrative that Tua was "the guy" if healthy wasn't universally held at all as some have claimed around here for a while. 

The other thing that is very real in scouting, when guys make bold statements early in a guys career they do not like to come off of them. It's why a guy like Christian Hackenburg gets drafted in the 2nd round, because when you set up on the hill that a guy is "elite" early on they'd rather die on that hill than be open to any other belief. Many stated Tua was a can't miss prospect after the NCG his freshman year similar to Lawrence. Guys build that narrative and begin to refuse to second guess it so at this point they just stay with it. Tua is a really good prospect but to some people Burrow could throw for 100% completion percentage and 100 TD's to no INTs and Tua was always going to be "their guy".
Reply/Quote