Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tucson police officer fired after fatally shooting a 61-year-old in a mobility scoote
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tucson-police-officer-shooting-mobility-scooter/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=142539192&s=09

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A Tuscon police officer has been fired after fatally shooting a man sitting in a mobility scooter, officials announced.

Tucson Police Chief Chris Magnus condemned the shooting in a news conference Tuesday after body camera video and surveillance footage showed former police officer Ryan Remington shooting 61-year-old Richard Lee Richards nine times after Richards was suspected of shoplifting from a Walmart.

"His use of deadly force in this incident is a clear violation of department policy and directly contradicts multiple aspects of our use of force and training," said Magnus.

Surveillance footage from the Walmart showed Remington and an employee slowly trailing Richards through a parking lot while Richards is in a mobility scooter. Police said an employee told Remington, who was off-duty and working security at the store, that Richards stole a toolbox.

Remington asked Richards for a receipt but Richards brandished a knife and continued toward another store, according to Magnus.

According to the Walmart employee, Richards said, "If you want me to put down the knife, you're going to have to shoot me," Magnus said.

Another officer arrived as Richards made his way toward the entrance of a Lowe's Hardware Store. In one of the videos, Remington is heard asking Richards to stop.

When Richards refused to stop, Remington opened fire, with nine rounds hitting Richards before he fell to the ground.

Surveillance video shows Remington using handcuffs on Richards right after the shooting.

"Officers rendered medical care, but a short time later Mr. Richards was declared dead," the police chief said.

Attorney Mike Storie, who is representing Remington, told CBS News that the videos only shows parts of what happened.

"These were cut and pasted videos that show about 20% of what actually happened last night," Storie said.

He added that his client's close proximity to Richards did not allow the officer to safely deploy his taser. In a statement released Tuesday, Tucson Mayor Regina Romero called the shooting "unconscionable and indefensible." The case is now under investigation by the Pima County Attorney's Office.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

9 bullets on a disabled man and dude was just "fired" ?

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
Handcuffing someone after shooting him 9 times sounds like something out of a comedy skit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 12:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Handcuffing someone after shooting him 9 times sounds like something out of a comedy skit.

Standard fair in a d20 Modern game for cheap laughs.

Horrifying in reality.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 12:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Handcuffing someone after shooting him 9 times sounds like something out of a comedy skit.

I would have had laughed at that in a movie because it's the most absurd thing to do. 

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 12:53 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Standard fair in a d20 Modern game for cheap laughs.

Horrifying in reality.

Stuff like this just highlights Americans having a dangerously low threshold for criteria of:

A - When it is reasonable and prudent to draw a firearm
B - When it is reasonable and justified to use lethal force

This case (with a trained individual, no less), the recent guy waving a gun around because his $6 pizza was going to take 10 minutes to be made, and an incident from a few years back where a woman was amazed she got in trouble for opening fire in a parking lot in her attempt to shoot a shoplifter who was driving away...it's uncanny.

To me it is all about the mindset these people have.  They are completely amazed and dumbfounded that they aren't doing the right thing and aren't being lauded as heroes.  But this goes back to what I said about the reactions of various rioters, too.  People are convinced they are doing the right thing when they do this stuff, and that is the societal issue I see.

Ok, general rant...sorry.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 01:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Stuff like this just highlights Americans having a dangerously low threshold for criteria of:

A - When it is reasonable and prudent to draw a firearm
B - When it is reasonable and justified to use lethal force

This case (with a trained individual, no less), the recent guy waving a gun around because his $6 pizza was going to take 10 minutes to be made, and an incident from a few years back where a woman was amazed she got in trouble for opening fire in a parking lot in her attempt to shoot a shoplifter who was driving away...it's uncanny.

To me it is all about the mindset these people have.  They are completely amazed and dumbfounded that they aren't doing the right thing and aren't being lauded as heroes.  But this goes back to what I said about the reactions of various rioters, too.  People are convinced they are doing the right thing when they do this stuff, and that is the societal issue I see.

Ok, general rant...sorry.

I might be misinterpreting your point here.

Are you suggesting that I - a full grown man with a wife, kid, and grandchildren - cannot seperate my goofing off antics in what is essentially Dungeons and Dragons with guns versus reality? Because I carry, and if you're worried about my grasp on how destructive a gun can be when someone goes rogue cowboy then I can assure you that you have nothing to worry about from me. I still get a really strong fight or flight reaction when I'm at the range and I hear gunfire. I have nothing but respect for firearms and the people who handle them with proper respect.

Or you're pointing out how horrifying reality can be and I did in fact misinterpret your intent here.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 02:54 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I might be misinterpreting your point here.

Are you suggesting that I - a full grown man with a wife, kid, and grandchildren - cannot seperate my goofing off antics in what is essentially Dungeons and Dragons with guns versus reality? Because I carry, and if you're worried about my grasp on how destructive a gun can be when someone goes rogue cowboy then I can assure you that you have nothing to worry about from me. I still get a really strong fight or flight reaction when I'm at the range and I hear gunfire. I have nothing but respect for firearms and the people who handle them with proper respect.

Or you're pointing out how horrifying reality can be and I did in fact misinterpret your intent here.

I assure you I haven't the slightest idea who you are, what you do, and what the hell you are talking about.  You lost me after d20.  Is THAC0 still a thing?
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 03:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I assure you I haven't the slightest idea who you are, what you do, and what the hell you are talking about.  You lost me after d20.  Is THAC0 still a thing?

THAC0 is not a thing, but I can still calculate it.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 03:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I assure you I haven't the slightest idea who you are, what you do, and what the hell you are talking about.  You lost me after d20.  Is THAC0 still a thing?

2nd Edition FOR LIFE !!
Clapping
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 04:17 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: THAC0 is not a thing, but I can still calculate it.

(12-02-2021, 06:12 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: 2nd Edition FOR LIFE !!
Clapping

Yeah, THAC0 has been gone for a long time.  The new AC system is far superior and allows for, essentially, an infinite armor class value.  I prefer older editions as well.  The newest version just further dilutes the class system.  Also, I'm pissed at how much they Nerfed wizards while making clerics insanely OP.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 06:47 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yeah, THAC0 has been gone for a long time.  The new AC system is far superior and allows for, essentially, an infinite armor class value.  I prefer older editions as well.  The newest version just further dilutes the class system.  Also, I'm pissed at how much they Nerfed wizards while making clerics insanely OP.

Strange that you say they nerfed wizards. Diviners and Abjurers are stupid strong and Bladesingers are RIDICULOUS. I have a level 5 Bladesinger who has a potential AC of 26.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 08:14 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Strange that you say they nerfed wizards. Diviners and Abjurers are stupid strong and Bladesingers are RIDICULOUS. I have a level 5 Bladesinger who has a potential AC of 26.

Dude, go to the older school game and look at spells memorized per level.  The max used to be nine spells per level, now it's six.  That's a severe curtailment.  Wizards/Magic Users used to be the most powerful class, by far, at higher levels, and deservedly so.  They certainly aren't anymore.

Also, Bladesingers aren't real wizards, they're a hybrid class, which is pretty much what the new game has become, multi-class or hybrids.  That's my main issue with it.  Or one of the biggest ones at least.  

Sorry, we've completely derailed this thread.  Wink
Reply/Quote
How did they forget to mention race? Weird.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 08:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Dude, go to the older school game and look at spells memorized per level.  The max used to be nine spells per level, now it's six.  That's a severe curtailment.  Wizards/Magic Users used to be the most powerful class, by far, at higher levels, and deservedly so.  They certainly aren't anymore.

Also, Bladesingers aren't real wizards, they're a hybrid class, which is pretty much what the new game has become, multi-class or hybrids.  That's my main issue with it.  Or one of the biggest ones at least.  

Sorry, we've completely derailed this thread.  Wink

Oh trust - I have a massive pile of AD&D and 3.X books in a box (I'm waiting on bookshelves which are STUPID expensive for no reason) - I know how many spells wizards used to get, especially with bonus spell slots. But compare the spell's effects in those old editions compared to current ones. They're way more powerful.
Reply/Quote
I’m not saying the cop should have shot him but really? You pull a knife on a cop after shoplifting? Like you’re entitled or something?Eff you for being such a dumbass.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
The cop's defense in this situation would rest on the argument that the man was an immediate mortal danger to the cops themselves or another person in the store be it worker or customer.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 06:47 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yeah, THAC0 has been gone for a long time.  The new AC system is far superior and allows for, essentially, an infinite armor class value.  I prefer older editions as well.  The newest version just further dilutes the class system.  Also, I'm pissed at how much they Nerfed wizards while making clerics insanely OP.

I miss 3.5. That was my favorite edition. I still have my stuff all the way back to AD&D, though.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 09:58 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I miss 3.5. That was my favorite edition. I still have my stuff all the way back to AD&D, though.

Agreed 100%.
Reply/Quote
nerds
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 11:27 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: nerds

[Image: st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg]
Reply/Quote