Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tupou Re-signs with the Bengals
(05-02-2020, 11:43 AM)sandwedge Wrote: We shall see guys. If I'm wrong, drinks on me for the board, next time we all meet up...

Awe hell, what a time it would be, if a couple dozen of us board regulars got together for a game!  I nominate Wyche's Warrior to host the tailgate, as best I can tell, he does a fine job cookin' up the good bbq.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 07:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure says a lot to me...

If Billings was signed to a huge deal, then I can see how one blew the other out of the water, but Billings didn't get much more than the DT tender that Tupou got...

(05-04-2020, 07:44 PM)Joelist Wrote: Or...

Dunlap - Reader - Tupou - Geno/Hubbard up front

Pratt - Wilson - ADG at LB

Waynes - Bates - Bell - Alexander in the secondary...

Kind of a riff on the 2000 Rats defensive alignment.

Agree for the most part, save for the fact that while Reader CAN penetrate, Sam Adams was a much better pass-rusher than Reader has been to this point in his career.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 08:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: If Billings was signed to a huge deal, then I can see how one blew the other out of the water, but Billings didn't get much more than the DT tender that Tupou got...

Agree for the most part, save for the fact that while Reader CAN penetrate, Sam Adams was a much better pass-rusher than Reader has been to this point in his career.

Billings and Tupou were about the same last year which surprised me. I thought Tupou was only a run stopper but he shown 
something in the pass rush at times surprisingly. Tupou is one big dude. Disagree with you on Sam, he was primarily a run stopper.

Reader is a better pass rusher than Sam Adams IMO.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 08:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Billings and Tupou were about the same last year which surprised me. I thought Tupou was only a run stopper but he shown 
something in the pass rush at times surprisingly. Tupou is one big dude. Disagree with you on Sam, he was primarily a run stopper.

Reader is a better pass rusher than Sam Adams IMO.

Sam Adams had A LOT of sacks. He had 20 through his first 4 seasons. Reader is at 6.5.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 03:40 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Very crowded DT room
A better than average player is going to get cut this year

Or better yet traded for a need/wekaness!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 07:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Awe hell, what a time it would be, if a couple dozen of us board regulars got together for a game!  I nominate Wyche's Warrior to host the tailgate, as best I can tell, he does a fine job cookin' up the good bbq.

I second the Nomination for Wyche's Warrior tailgate!  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 09:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sam Adams had A LOT of sacks. He had 20 through his first 4 seasons. Reader is at 6.5.

Surprising. Thanks Nicomo didn't know that about Sam.

Thought he was primarily just a run stopper.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 09:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Surprising. Thanks Nicomo didn't know that about Sam.

Thought he was primarily just a run stopper.

Funny stuff about Sam Adams.  He was a force, indeed.  However, he was only technically a "NT" once in his 14 year career.  His rookie year has him listed as "LDE", every other season he's listed as "LDT", according to Pro Football Reference.  But, just for comparison, Adams had 404 tackles and 44 sacks in 14 NFL seasons, our very own Geno Atkins is currently sitting at 383 tackles and 75.5 sacks, after his 10th season in the NFL.  

Nate, your claim of Adams being primarily a run stopper would be accurate.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 09:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Funny stuff about Sam Adams.  He was a force, indeed.  However, he was only technically a "NT" once in his 14 year career.  His rookie year has him listed as "LDE", every other season he's listed as "LDT", according to Pro Football Reference.  But, just for comparison, Adams had 404 tackles and 44 sacks in 14 NFL seasons, our very own Geno Atkins is currently sitting at 383 tackles and 75.5 sacks, after his 10th season in the NFL.  

Nate, your claim of Adams being primarily a run stopper would be accurate.

Thanks Sunset. Sam sure seems like he would of been one big damn End. Thought he was around 330+ pounds for most of his
career. Was Sam's last season with us? I remember he was getting up there when we brought him in. Liked the guy.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 10:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks Sunset. Sam sure seems like he would of been one big damn End. Thought he was around 330+ pounds for most of his
career. Was Sam's last season with us? I remember he was getting up there when we brought him in. Liked the guy.

He played one more year in Denver.

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 10:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks Sunset. Sam sure seems like he would of been one big damn End. Thought he was around 330+ pounds for most of his

Yeah, after he left Bmore, he transitioned to a straight up NT in a 4-3, less of a pass rusher and more of a run stuffer.

I don't think he ever played for a 3-4 team, his entire career.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Tupou and Reader are the two biggest guys on the team at 345 and 347 respectively and yet they're both surprisingly mobile. You watch Tupou and he has the good hand work that lets him get either get off a block or need to be double teamed.

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 10:23 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yeah, after he left Bmore, he transitioned to a straight up NT in a 4-3, less of a pass rusher and more of a run stuffer.

I don't think he ever played for a 3-4 team, his entire career.

Thought so, more hybrids for Sam makes sense.

(05-06-2020, 10:54 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Tupou and Reader are the two biggest guys on the team at 345 and 347 respectively and yet they're both surprisingly mobile. You watch Tupou and he has the good hand work that lets him get either get off a block or need to be double teamed.

Yeah, big mobile dudes. Love it.
Reply/Quote
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 06:16 PM)psychdoctor Wrote:

Interesting, we will see how this changes this year with the new personnel that they brought in.
Reply/Quote