Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turner on the O-line
(05-19-2020, 10:39 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I liked it for the same reason a lot of people evidently didn't like it. They seem to want a big mean nasty offensive line that will just pummel and bully the opposing D-line, but then cringe at the fact Taylor brought in a big mean offensive line coach who's players were bullies. That makes no sense to me...… the coach sets the tone. We already had a concert pianist coaching the line, now I want someone nastier, who will get the most out of our players or bench them. That's Turner to a tee.... I thought Pollack would be that guy as well, turns out he wasn't.

Not one single fan is calling for a coach that hss teammates fighting with each other.  That is just stupid.

The concert pianist had a dozen times more success than Turner.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 11:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Not one single fan is calling for a coach that hss teammates fighting with each other.  That is just stupid.

The concert pianist had a dozen times more success than Turner.

I don't mind OL with a little fight in them.  Like when Whitworth took it to Lamarr Houston, back in 2012.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 11:52 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't mind OL with a little fight in them.  Like when Whitworth took it to Lamarr Houston, back in 2012.

So do I. But I don't like them fighting with teamates.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 11:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So do I. But I don't like them fighting with teamates.

Teammates fight constantly. Watch Hard Knocks some time.

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 11:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So do I. But I don't like them fighting with teamates.

A little dust up in training camp is kind of expected, but serious infighting, grudges among teammates and such, are bad chemistry for the team.  I can't imagine anyone who would think that is acceptable or even encouraged.  (I'm not talking about Sophmoric "hazing" that used to be a part of training camps)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Offensive Linemen pretty much have to be type A personalities, and when you put that many Alpha Males in a room, some of them are going to fight. That said, Richie Incognito is a head case, and Johnathan Martin is a wuss. This isn't kindergarden where everybody plays nice, it's the NFL where the strongest survive and the weak don't. Miami had an Offensive Line with a lot of cohesion at that time. If there was too much inner fighting going on, they wouldn't have gelled like they did.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 12:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Johnathan Martin is a wuss.

Miami had an Offensive Line with a lot of cohesion at that time. If there was too much inner fighting going on, they wouldn't  have gelled like they did.

I don't think you know what happened with Martin.  It was not just Incognito against Martin, it was Incognito and his crew bullying Martin.  Teammates are supposed to support each other and work together, not act like middle school bullies. And coaches are not supposed to let that stuff happen.

And the Dolphins O-line was not good at all.  What makes you think they had a lot of "cohesion"?  
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 02:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think you know what happened with Martin.  It was not just Incognito against Martin, it was Incognito and his crew bullying Martin.  Teammates are supposed to support each other and work together, not act like middle school bullies. And coaches are not supposed to let that stuff happen.

And the Dolphins O-line was not good at all.  What makes you think they had a lot of "cohesion"?  

Oh waaaaa….. Jonathan Martin, NFL lineman, too afraid to stand up for himself. I'm not defending Incognito, like I said, he's head case, but Martin obviously didn't have what it takes to play in the NFL. You don't have to have the same opinion, that's what's great.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 02:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think you know what happened with Martin.  It was not just Incognito against Martin, it was Incognito and his crew bullying Martin.  Teammates are supposed to support each other and work together, not act like middle school bullies. And coaches are not supposed to let that stuff happen.

Johnathan Martin was a headcase. He recently took a plea deal for posting a picture of himself holding a shotgun tagging Icgonito and Pouncey along with his former High School and the Dolphins years after the Bullygate incident and definitely Highschool. He quoted "When your a bully victim & coward, your options are Suicide or Revenge.

Its obvious the guy has psychological issues.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Do you really think a grown man, an NFL lineman, is going to want the coach to go around telling his peers "you guys play nice now, you're hurting his feelers". 
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 02:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Oh waaaaa….. Jonathan Martin, NFL lineman, too afraid to stand up for himself. 

It was not just incognito.  He had a group that was harrassing Martin.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 02:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Do you really think a grown man, an NFL lineman, is going to want the coach to go around telling his peers "you guys play nice now, you're hurting his feelers". 

Yes. Absolutely. It was his only option. 

And it was nit just about feelings. It was also about money.

I can't belive grown men on this message board support a group bullying an individual. 
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 02:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It was not just incognito.  He had a group that was harrassing Martin.

It sounds like Big Brotherly love to me. Toughen up or get the hell out.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 03:19 PM)sandwedge Wrote: It sounds like Big Brotherly love to me. Toughen up or get the hell out.

That is because you don't know what all happened.

People who believe what Incognito did was okay have never been on a team that won anything.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 03:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is because you don't know what all happened.

People who believe what Incognito did was okay have never been on a team that won anything.

Were you in the locker room Fred? How do you know any more than anyone else on here what transpired....
Reply/Quote

Yeah, but Martin himself said that he never informed the coaches or management of any 'specifics' of what was going on while it was happening...only that he was having emotional problems. He also said the the coaches 'occasionally asked how he was doing' but that he didn't want to be a 'snitch'. 
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 02:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It was not just incognito.  He had a group that was harrassing Martin.

Again.... oh waaaa. "They're picking on me" 
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 03:43 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Were you in the locker room Fred? How do you know any more than anyone else on here what transpired....

He doesn't, he's just pretending he does.....
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 04:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He doesn't, he's just pretending he does.....

He may not factually know, but neither do we.  And that is what I believe his point is.  All we have our conflicting sides of a story that were made public to go by.  Now, I wasn't there either, but I've been witness to some hazing activities in my days.  If I had to guess, the real truth is somewhere in the middle, with both sides each telling a version that makes the reader/listener more sympathetic to their particular point of view.

Now, Bengalholic must have read the same article that I did, when refreshing my memory of this incident.  Martin didn't tell the coaches what was going on, so in my opinion, that reduces the culpability with respect to negligence on the part of the coaching staff.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 04:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Again.... oh waaaa. "They're picking on me" 

Again I am shocked that an adult thinks bullying is okay or good for a team.

Or maybe I am being too harsh.

How old are you?
Reply/Quote