Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Twenty Years Ago
Twenty years ago, the Cincinnati Bengals made THE colossal mistake of the millennium. Mike Brown turned down then-Saints Head coach Mike Ditka's offer of NINE draft picks for one in the 1999 NFL draft against then-coach Bruce Coslet’s desire. Coslet wanted as many draft picks as possible to help the Bengals' defense which had struggled for years.

Instead, Brown overruled Coslet and selected University of Oregon quarterback Akili Smith. Smith only played 22 games in his NFL career and is generally regarded as a draft bust. Coslet later regretted that he "didn't insist hard enough" in trying to persuade Brown to accept the Saints' offer.

The Bengals are about to make the same mistake in 2020. No, we’re not going to lose nine draft picks but I can sense Mikey Boy is hyper-focused on getting a new “bell cow” quarterback — to use his words. He’s thinking Tua, Joe, or Jalen but, just like in 1999, the Bengals need defense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Horrible take. To compare what Burrow is doing to Akili Smith is laughable.

Reply/Quote
Um, 30?
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 11:49 AM)blt4584 Wrote: Um, 30?

Thank you. I can do calculus in my head but I flub basic arithmetic on a regular basis.
Reply/Quote
LSU defense is ranked 43rd (Rush 31st, Pass 72nd). LSU rushing offense is ranked 52nd Pass offense is ranked 2nd. LSU is ranked 2nd in CFB because of the arm of Joe Burrow.

In other News Joe Burrow will likely break the SEC single season yards and TD records tommorrow.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 12:00 PM)Synric Wrote: LSU defense is ranked 43rd (Rush 31st, Pass 72nd). LSU rushing offense is ranked 52nd Pass offense is ranked 2nd. LSU is ranked 2nd in CFB because of the arm of Joe Burrow.

In other News Joe Burrow will likely break the SEC single season yards and TD records tommorrow.

Kid is completing almost 80% of his passes. He really is having an extremely special season.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 12:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Kid is completing almost 80% of his passes. He really is having an extremely special season.

Not only that, but how he is doing it. For instance, Colt McCoy completed 76% of his passes in 2008 (433 attempts) but he had less yardage and less TDs. Burrow is doing this while still being aggressive with the ball and pushing it down the field. Granted, he has better receivers than McCoy did but the point still stands.

He’s really, really good. I just hope this isn’t a product of awesome coaching and talent instead of him being the real deal.
Reply/Quote
A better comparison to A. Smith would be Herbert. Herbert has as strong arm if not better than Smith. Both came from the same school. Herbert has specific reads, and if that player is covered he panics and gets happy little feet.

Burrow has been compared to Manning, Brady, and other greats. He is playing in a pro-style offense and is breaking records in the SEC and against the highest level of competition. Burrow has nearly 80% completion rate, studies film and develops his own plays to submit to coaching staff. Smith has less than 10 on the Wonderlic score before beefing up his scores with practiced tests. Burrow is cerebral, smart, has leadership and other intangibles.

I want Young but I also think Burrow is the most compete QB to come out in quite a while. He will need help with another WR and RT, LG, and maybe RG. But the Bengals could focus on fixing holes in the offense this year and maybe a backer or two. Then next year fix secondary and get an edge player or two.

It is still a tough choice for me between Young and Burrow. I think Burrow should be the pick because the Bengals may not be in position to get another Franchise QB for a while. Sure, great QB can be found later in the draft, but not with Mike Brown involved.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 11:49 AM)blt4584 Wrote: Um, 30?

Where did you learn arithmetic?   LOL  It's 20 years.

Anyway, like others have said, Joe Burrow and Akili Smith have little to nothing in common, in terms of ability and skill set as Quarterbacks.  But yes, turning down the entire Saints draft was likely one of the top 5 draft blunders of all time.  I guess that the problem with a small scouting department has been around for quite a while.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 05:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Where did you learn arithmetic?   LOL  It's 20 years.

Anyway, like others have said, Joe Burrow and Akili Smith have little to nothing in common, in terms of ability and skill set as Quarterbacks.  But yes, turning down the entire Saints draft was likely one of the top 5 draft blunders of all time.  I guess that the problem with a small scouting department has been around for quite a while.

You had to be there, my man.
Reply/Quote
The mistake wasn't taking a QB, the mistake was taking the wrong one. The bigger mistake was passing on the Saints offer.

If some team wants to give up their entire draft plus another 1st rounder for the #1 overall pick, then its a mistake to pass on it again.

This team doesn't need defense or offense, it needs a bunch of things. The one thing that it truly needs is a solution at QB moving forward - it makes the rebuilding process much easier.
Reply/Quote
So what kind of O-Line does Burrows have in front of him?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 02:38 PM)Interceptor Wrote: So what kind of O-Line does Burrows have in front of him?

Football Outsiders has them about middle off the pack for all of college football in pass protection stats. 
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 03:54 PM)Au165 Wrote: Football Outsiders has them about middle off the pack for all of college football in pass protection stats. 

Damn. That means he'll get killed if he gets drafted here....
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 03:54 PM)Au165 Wrote: Football Outsiders has them about middle off the pack for all of college football in pass protection stats. 

That sounds about right. Damien Lewis is really the only guy to watch for during draft season.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 05:15 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Damn. That means he'll get killed if he gets drafted here....

No it doesn’t.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 02:25 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The mistake wasn't taking a QB, the mistake was taking the wrong one.  The bigger mistake was passing on the Saints offer.

If some team wants to give up their entire draft plus another 1st rounder for the #1 overall pick, then its a mistake to pass on it again.

This team doesn't need defense or offense, it needs a bunch of things.  The one thing that it truly needs is a solution at QB moving forward - it makes the rebuilding process much easier.

If the Bengals don't blow it and win another game  Hilarious   they might face a similar debate:   Miami will likely finish third, behind the Bengals and Giants, and if they offered the Bengals something like their #3 overall, one of their 1st rounders in the 20s, and a first rounder next year (I think that is roughly what Washington had to give up to move up to get RGIII) then what do the Bengals do?

You would be giving up on Burrow AND Chase Young in that scenario, but you could draft a player like Jeudy to replace Green, and get another stud around pick 20 that you could use on Tua, or another QB,  or a defensive player.  Next year, you would have two draft picks in the first round as well.

That sounds hard to pass up, but if I am betting my mortgage, the Bengals turn it down and just draft Burrow.  

Regardless of which way they go, I sincerely hope (and pray) that they will sign some serious additions in FA at positions like G, S, and LB.  
Reply/Quote