Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Marvin views. Which do you prefer?
Basically there are only schools of though that I have heard and here they are:

A) Keep Marvin.

The Bengals may not have a real legacy under Marvin, but he is competitive. Getting rid of him is too risky. The Bengals may never compete for a superbowl under Marvin, but remember how it was 15 years ago? He's better than Dave Shula or Bruce Coslet. His over all record is a few games over .500. Good enough is good enough. Don't risk it. Plus, Ken Broo loves him.

B) Fire Marvin

Marvin has lost seven playoff games. He was out coached in every one of those losses. Pittsburgh is lauging at us. They can't believe their good fortune. They have played Marvin 30 times and whipped his butt 22 of them and the Bengals are STILL considering keeping him!!! Marvin will entertain us by having a record that is a little over .500. That's not enough. We want more. We want a team that does not meltdown in big games. We want a team that does not squander talent. We want a superbowl not just a few division titles. That will never happen under Marvin.

Whats your choice A or B?
Reply/Quote
B. If the choice is more of what we've had (one-and-dones and being dominated by Pittsburgh) or rolling the dice and seeing if we can win a championship, then let's roll the dice. Even if it may mean moving down, I want off this rung of the ladder.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 08:25 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: B.  If the choice is more of what we've had (one-and-dones and being dominated by Pittsburgh) or rolling the dice and seeing if we can win a championship, then let's roll the dice.  Even if it may mean moving down, I want off this rung of the ladder.

Same here. The frustration and under achievement will continue as long as Marvin is in charge.
Reply/Quote
B.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
B damn it !

You don't have to be rock bottom desperate to make change.

Get some confidence Bengals and get someone new to steer the ship.

This vessel is not lost.  A new captain would gladly take the helm and steer it from the rocks.

Don't let this captain take it into the storm on of the century only to blame the crew.

Har har har !

Sea what I did there?  Sea !  Get it?  Not See.  Sea as in a nautical reference.  My humor is lost on you salty dogs!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 08:19 PM)Antares Wrote: Marvin has lost seven playoff games. He was out coached in every one of those losses.

I agree that Marvin should probably be replaced, but this statement is not true.
Reply/Quote
B.

The way I see it, I will continue to enjoy watching the games even if they have 10 more 5 win seasons in a row.  I'm a Bengals fan for life.  I will still laugh, cry, cheer and throw the occasional fit during the games.  Having said that, Marvin has had 14 years here.  I think it would be selfish of him to keep continuing to coach this team.  It just hasn't worked out in Cincinnati even though we've had some success here and there.  I think he owes it to the players (especially Andy and AJ), to give them a different shot at a winner.  I really do think we have a good team with good players.  

I would wish Marvin well and even would hope he gets another HC gig somewhere else in the NFL.  However, I believe he most definitely should be replaced.  Not "probably".  Things have been sinking ever since the Pittsburgh game last January and I just don't see things getting any better.  The fans know it, and I bet the players do too, deep down.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
B.

I'd rather the organization roll the dice and bring in a new coach. If that means a few down years, so be it. But this team is in desperate need of a new voice in the locker room.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
0-7 in playoffs

losing record in prime time

awful losing record against Steelers

No other NFL team would have kept a coach this long with such horrible metrics  ( see Bills for most recent example)

B without question

And if Mike Brown wants to win a Super Bowl in his life time, they need a dynamic new coach with the authority to hire his own staff.
Reply/Quote
"B"

It's time for change. Good or bad.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2016, 03:12 PM)Big Boss Wrote: B.

I'd rather the organization roll the dice and bring in a new coach.  If that means a few down years, so be it.  But this team is in desperate need of a new voice in the locker room.

I don;t understand the idea of replacing a coach if you are going to have a few down years when you still have a core of good players around their prime years.  If we are going to be losers by letting Marvin go that makes no sense to me.  

If we go with Plan B, it should be to improve the team NOW.  so fine fire Marvin but no way would I support blowing up the team...so find a coach that can move the needle with a team that was 12-4 last year, one down year should not mean blow up the team.
Reply/Quote
B doesn't mean blow the team up. That's not what I meant
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 08:25 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: B.  If the choice is more of what we've had (one-and-dones and being dominated by Pittsburgh) or rolling the dice and seeing if we can win a championship, then let's roll the dice.  Even if it may mean moving down, I want off this rung of the ladder.

Perfectly said. I'm ready to roll the dice. If we lose, oh well. It's not like we'll win a title under Marv anyway. The only thing I worry about is the extremely long leash every Mikey hire seems to get. I definitely want to move on from Marv, I just hope the next guy doesn't get a decade+ if he fails. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
You know, I'd almost be OK with not winning a super bowl if they could just consistently trash Pittsburgh. But not being able to win in the playoffs AND getting trashed by Pittsburgh every year is more than I can handle.
Reply/Quote
We thought our nightmare was over when Marvin came in, but we traded futility for welcomed mediocrity. At some point you have to wonder that when Marvin, Alexander and others having no accountability and guys like Whitt giving so much, how is morale going to get better under giggles? How can you tell others to "do your job" if you aren't showing results in yours? How can you tell the media "we have to get better" when you follow losing total control of your players vs your hated rivals and hand them a win...with a hopeless year because you can't protect your real leader?
Reply/Quote
B

They've won 5 games this season. Not sure what there is to fear.

Reply/Quote
B

Career:
113–101–3 (.528)

Regular season:
113–94–3 (.545)

After Bye
5-7-1 (.385) 6th worst in league during Marvin's tenure
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/trend/win_trends/is_after_bye?range=yearly_since_2003

Primetime:
9-28-1 (.310)

Postseason:
0–7 (.000)

The sample size is more than large enough to conclusively say Marvin can not get it done.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
I'll always respect Marv for dealing with the Brown family and somehow making it work. If the Browns are still meddling with the finer details, what does it matter who is coaching the team?
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 07:50 AM)treee Wrote: 1. I'll always respect Marv for dealing with the Brown family and somehow making it work. 2. If the Browns are still meddling with the finer details, what does it matter who is coaching the team?

1. Same here but it's time to say bye.

2. At this point it's hard telling how much the Brown family meddles, and how much their meddling affects the team. I mean, Marv has been the HC for more than half of Mike Brown's tenure. If we had more coaches to compare Marv with, that'd be nice. Personally, I find it hard to blame Marv's 9-28-1 prime time and 0-7 playoff record on Mike Brown. The teams were good enough to beat the best teams in the NFL, yet couldn't come through in the end? It screams coaching issue.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Too bad the FO picked A.

I thought this would happen cause they always try to play out the contracts but this would of gave some
hope to the fans if they changed it up and let Marv go. I thought it was a huge mistake when we gave him
that extension and seems i thought right.

Too bad the FO doesn't think like most of us. Roll the dice on another coach that may be able to inspire
players and maybe outcoach another coach in the Playoffs is all most of us want.

This is frustrating not only to the fans but the players who deserve better.

I am sure the players would rather have an aggressive coach who wants the players to play to win and win
big not a conservative one that has them play not to lose
Reply/Quote