Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Two Plays That Spell "Culture Change"
(12-19-2022, 07:09 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Probably because it’s not worth comparing the other coaches prior to Marvin, as there is no contest at this point.

I do see the difference in decision making, but honestly, that likely more having Burrow at QB than who’s at head coach. If Zach had Andy in those situations, I’m not sure he’d put the ball in his hands like he does Burrow.

Compare Marv and Zach without our great QB Joe B.

Both had Andy and how did the team fare with the Red Rifle?

Both had injured QB's during the season and how did Zach do with an injured Joe B.?

Any logical person with any brains knows that Marvin elevated the Bengals to a higher level.
If he sucked like some people conclude then what of Shula, Coslett, LeBeau and Rice?
If Marvin had a vagina then what did Shula, Coslett, LeBeau and Rice have?
If time is the reference point then we should never mention Don Shula, Knoll, Madden, Parcells or Walsh.

Marvin had Palmer and Dalton and while Marvin made the post season twice with Palmer and Palmer also had post season success, Dalton has been around enough with several teams and never made the post season without Marvin.

Maybe the comparison should between Dalton and Burrow, we already know what Zach's record is without Burrow and with Dalton.
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 11:08 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Yep. Any time the Bengals had a 2 score lead or more, Marvin went run happy. That was with Palmer as well as Dalton.

Why is it when Cowher used the same damn theory or was a self - conservative it is ok but not ok if Marvin? 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1994-12-19-1994353136-story.html

"Some people call me conservative, but I call it throwback football," said Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher.

It's a strategy that the old Miami Dolphins, Chicago Bears and New York Giants parlayed into Super Bowl championships, and one that has the Steelers on course for a title shot next month in Miami.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 12:01 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Those two plays were the signatures that evidenced the new attitude here in the Queen City but, yes, you are right, the game-sealing long drives almost never happened for us in the past.  The fourth quarter drive yesterday started with about nine and a half minutes left and Joe threw the pass to Wilcox with around 2:20 remaining. That's over SEVEN freaking minutes!!!  That's a "my schlong is bigger than your schlong" opponent-demoralizing drive.

Bucs also used 2 time outs to keep the drive around 7 minutes. Championship teams have the ability to close. The KC and Bucs drives were both dominant and game sealing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 12:47 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Compare Marv and Zach without our great QB Joe B.

Both had injured QB's during the season and how did Zach do with an injured Joe B.?

Any logical person with any brains knows that Marvin elevated the Bengals to a higher level.
If he sucked like some people conclude then what of Shula, Coslett, LeBeau and Rice?
If time is the reference point then we should never mention Don Shula, Knoll, Madden, Parcells or Walsh.

Marvin had Palmer and Dalton and while Marvin made the post season twice with Palmer and Palmer also had post season success, Dalton has been around enough with several teams and never made the post season without Marvin.

Maybe the comparison should between Dalton and Burrow, we already know what Zach's record is without Burrow and with Dalton.

We also know the record of Bill Belichick without Brady. It does not make Zac or BB bad coaches, they still have to manage the games, motivate their teams and make sure they can play defense and have good special teams.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 12:47 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Compare Marv and Zach without our great QB Joe B.

In respect to their peers in their era, Taylor is in line with others that use analytics and probably leans towards being more aggressive. Marv would take a chance here or there but would lean more towards being conservative on offense and relying on his running game and defense to hold a lead. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 01:07 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Why is it when Cowher used the same damn theory or was a self - conservative it is ok but not ok if Marvin? 

"Some people call me conservative, but I call it throwback football," said Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher.

It's a strategy that the old Miami Dolphins, Chicago Bears and New York Giants parlayed into Super Bowl championships, and one that has the Steelers on course for a title shot next month in Miami.

Just quoting this post to point out that the Cowher quote you posted, in the dark theme, is lettered in black, so you (I) can't see it unless i quote the post and read it. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 11:08 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Yep. Any time the Bengals had a 2 score lead or more, Marvin went run happy. That was with Palmer as well as Dalton.

I'll never forget the Chargers game where we went up 28 to 3 or something along those lines, then after half went run, run, pass, punt the rest of the game and lost. We should've scored 50 that game.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 01:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We also know the record of Bill Belichick without Brady. It does not make Zac or BB bad coaches, they still have to manage the games, motivate their teams and make sure they can play defense and have good special teams.

Before Zac had Burrow, the members here were killing Zac and calling him a bad coach. It's only with Joe B. winning here that "SOME" people have stopped criticizing Zac.

BB led the Pats to a 11 -5 record without an injured Brady.   
Reply/Quote

About the same as Marvin with Fitzy in 08? Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 01:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: About the same as Marvin with Fitzy in 08? Ninja

Don't be dissin' our Connor McGregor. I would love to have him over Brandon Allen right now. Cool
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 01:07 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Why is it when Cowher used the same damn theory or was a self - conservative it is ok but not ok if Marvin? 

I'm not so sure Cowher would be very effective in today's game with that strategy....that was 1994.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 01:39 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Don't be dissin' our Connor McGregor. I would love to have him over Brandon Allen right now. Cool

Oh hell yes! Being fair to Marvin, he was green and not Fitzmagic yet....but we were really bad that year without Palmer.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 01:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: About the same as Marvin with Fitzy in 08? Ninja

Just for you.  Tongue

Forrest Gregg >> Sam Wyche     Wink
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 01:41 PM)Wyche Wrote: Oh hell yes! Being fair to Marvin, he was green and not Fitzmagic yet....but we were really bad that year without Palmer.

True. But we had what we had. 
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 10:40 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: He had Carson Palmer. He was a damn good player for the bengals and the cardinals. People tend to forget how good Palmer was when he was in Cincinnati.

I was there, I didn’t forget. We didn’t have this play calling :)
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote

(12-19-2022, 01:23 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just quoting this post to point out that the Cowher quote you posted, in the dark theme, is lettered in black, so you (I) can't see it unless i quote the post and read it. 

Or change font to orange.  Wink

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 02:22 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Or change font to orange.  Wink

Yuuuup. But just reading through...i have to click on it to read it. 

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 01:48 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Just for you.  Tongue

Forrest Gregg >> Sam Wyche     Wink

Blasphemy!!!! In all honesty, I'd say that's probably accurate. What always endeared Sammy to me was the gambler side to him, and the innovation. His Cleveland speech and running up the score on Glanville didn't hurt. Cool

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 03:06 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: How long have you been a Bengal fan?

I know Marvin was our last Head Coach and you can use him as reference. But what about the list of lovely Head Coaches before Marvin?
Marvin took a perennial laughing stock "Bungles" team to respectability.
There is a list of "Bungle" Head Coaches, you can choose before you keep attacking the Bengals coach with one of the highest percentage wins/losses in our history.

Maybe you were not around during the 90's and early 00's.  Whatever

I also think Marvin would have a better record if he had Joe B. 

Not just Burrow, but the new active front office that goes out and participates in FA and makes upgrades and adjustments to the staff, team and facilities.

People still dump on Marvin and to be fair he certainly made some questionable in game moves and would gamble on 2nd and 3rd chance guys in the draft, but if Marvin doesn't come here and drag Mike Brown kicking and screaming out of the dark ages to a more modern mindset, Burrow would be wasting away here like Palmer did. Marvin set the foundation that Taylor is able to continue to build on in terms of being a more modern and active franchise.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Not dissin' Marvin Lewis, because he brought the Bengals back to respectability, and really had some bad luck in the playoffs (Palmer injury and Hill fumble), but one major change is the half-time adjustments. The Bengals defense and offense now figure things out in the 2nd half of games.

The lack of second-half adjustments during the ML era led to some defenders of ML claiming there was no such thing as half-time adjustments -- that half-time adjustments is not a thing in NFL football. Well, if so, then I'm really enjoying the mirage of half-time adjustments the last two seasons.
Reply/Quote