Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two-Point Conversion
So... I guess the two-point conversion becomes a little more important this year.
What kind of strategy do you see being used by the Bengals using in regards to it?

What players become more/less important?
          (ie Is it a good thing we drafted two more OL to use more in a certain set for this?)
          (ie Does the idea of a fullback become important again?)
How do you see the Bengal's adapting to it?
          (I know the word adapt and the word Bengals may be a foreign concept to our fan base.)
How crazy will preseason get?
What are some tactics you could see being implemented by the Bengals?

Standard Disclaimer(s):
  • I do not know if another thread has been created on the subject, I looked... a little.
    Please feel free to feel offended at any time and accuse the 1st mate of mutiny.
    In the event of a fire, press the panic button.

In the event the panic button does not work press it again.
Reply/Quote
Why is the two point conversion more important this year? I doubt the change in the distance of the extra point alters the philosophy of most teams in any way. I think they will still only use the two point conversion if it is something they have to do. Your chances of hitting the extended extra point are probably still much better than converting for two points.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 05:00 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Why is the two point conversion more important this year? I doubt the change in the distance of the extra point alters the philosophy of most teams in any way. I think they will still only use the two point conversion if it is something they have to do. Your chances of hitting the extended extra point are probably still much better than converting for two points.

Bad weather, which we have here in Cincinnati, could play a part in it.

Could change the philosophy since only 93% of kicks from the new distance were good, which may not sound like a lot, but having a kicker that gets Tight-Hiney Syndrome and chokes easily could make teams double think it in big moments, especially in bad weather.

As far as the OP, I'm not real sure.  I'd have to think about it and I'm not in that kind of thinking mood right now.
Reply/Quote
Super Heavy Package featuring Every OT we have a FB and 1 WR Green on the outside just in case.

new Field goal distance is not a give me for Nugent
Reply/Quote
The biggest change that I see coming, is that the point after attempt should now resemble a "real play".  In past seasons, it seemed like on the bulk of extra point tries, teams kind of just went through the motions, the defense just played "fake alert".  About the only chance of it not being good was a bad snap.  Now, especially with the possibility of the defense returning for 2pts, I feel like the blocking and execution will have to be intense, as the defenses will indeed be going for the block.

A lot of people talking about the 33 yard attempt not being automatic.  Now, a false start, or a holding penalty will make a significant difference in how things play out.

As for going for 2 pts?  I think we will, indeed see a lot more 2pt attempts than we had been used to. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 04:48 PM)CoCoNuT Wrote: So... I guess the two-point conversion becomes a little more important this year.
What kind of strategy do you see being used by the Bengals using in regards to it?

What players become more/less important?
          (ie Is it a good thing we drafted two more OL to use more in a certain set for this?)
          (ie Does the idea of a fullback become important again?)
How do you see the Bengal's adapting to it?
          (I know the word adapt and the word Bengals may be a foreign concept to our fan base.)
How crazy will preseason get?
What are some tactics you could see being implemented by the Bengals?

Standard Disclaimer(s):
  • I do not know if another thread has been created on the subject, I looked... a little.
    Please feel free to feel offended at any time and accuse the 1st mate of mutiny.
    In the event of a fire, press the panic button.
    In the event the panic button does not work press it again.

I wonder how Belichick will exploit it.  I bet he studies it all summer.
Reply/Quote
Nothing is going to change, so can we stop acting like all of a sudden teams are going to be attempting more 2 pt conversions. Nothing has changed with the attempt. Your odds of being successful are exactly the same as they have always been. The extra point is still pretty much automatic.

I keep hearing that smart coaches will take advantage of it. WRONG! Smart coaches will still use it the same as they always have.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 07:03 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: Nothing is going to change, so can we stop acting like all of a sudden teams are going to be attempting more 2 pt conversions. Nothing has changed with the attempt. Your odds of being successful are exactly the same as they have always been. The extra point is still pretty much automatic.

I keep hearing that smart coaches will take advantage of it. WRONG! Smart coaches will still use it the same as they always have.

I have to disagree on that one.  I bet Belicheat is looking for ways to exploit it at this very moment.  It's what he does.
Reply/Quote
Sorry Joe but I don't necessarily agree with you.  The success rate for PAT's last year was 99% and FG's from the 33 yard line was something like 91%.  The odds of being successful are not exactly the same.  That's 8 out of 100 more misses than the old PAT.  Extrapolate that out over a full season and it more than a few misses.  As a few pointed out above, weather, penalty, etc. will also affect the decision-making.  IMHO, I don't think there'll be a drastic number of two point attempts but it will certainly alter the status quo.
Reply/Quote
Planning for more 2 point conversions could become part of some game plans. If you are running the ball well on the other team, why not go for 2 more often. Of course, if your run defense is weak you might have 2 pointers being attempted on you more often.

Reply/Quote
I don't have the exact percentages, but I've heard that kickers make around 93% of their 33 yard FG's, which is a fairly significant drop. Also keep in mind that teams often pass up FG's in windy/inclement weather. Teams will probably attempt plenty of PAT's in inclement weather. So I fully expect a significant dip in PAT % this year.

Will it lead to more 2 pt conversion attempts? Probably. Especially when the weather is bad, which happens often in the AFCN.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 07:08 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I have to disagree on that one.  I bet Belicheat is looking for ways to exploit it at this very moment.  It's what he does.

I agree with you.  Marvin just needs to get over it and get busy planning for it.
Reply/Quote
Kickers will become franchised more often. : ninja
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I'd emphasize goal line defense a bit more as the DC, but I believe the two point conversion will only come into play occasionally more often with a missed PAT early in the game.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I think those expecting to see some big sudden rise in the number of 2 point conversion attempts are going to be sadly disappointed.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 07:08 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I have to disagree on that one.  I bet Belicheat is looking for ways to exploit it at this very moment.  It's what he does.

Did you mean ways to cheat in regards to it?
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 06:07 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Did you mean ways to cheat in regards to it?

More like just go over the line, like he did with the "ineligible receiver" trick against the Ravens.  I read that the Pats were one of the supporters of the PAT changes.  Remember when Brady pushed for changes in how the teams control footballs?  They will continue to step over the line.  
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 06:06 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I think those expecting to see some big sudden rise in the number of 2 point conversion attempts are going to be sadly disappointed.

I don't expect a big sudden change.
I just wonder if will see a couple more games where it actually comes into play.

3 games of ours where decided within 3 points or less.
One of those games was a 37-37 tie with the Panthers.
If one of those xp was missed I wonder how the end of the game would have played out.
Reply/Quote
The two point attempt comes from the same place as always. There is no new advantage for Belichick to exploit.

I doubt any teams will start attempting more 2 point conversions. The only reason they may increase is that teams will go for two more often if they have missed a 1 point attempt earlier in the game.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 10:48 AM)CoCoNuT Wrote: I just wonder if will see a couple more games where it actually comes into play.

3 games of ours where decided within 3 points or less.
One of those games was a 37-37 tie with the Panthers.
If one of those xp was missed I wonder how the end of the game would have played out.

In the final two games of the '06 season we missed a game tying extra point against Denver (bad snap 0:45 left) and a game-winning 39 yard FG against Pitt (0:05 left).

We win either of those games and we make the playoffs.
Reply/Quote