Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two QBs go- Rank Your Top 3
(02-07-2021, 01:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We draft the QB that had the best season in the history of college football last year

We have a chance to draft the WR that had the best season in the history of college football this year

You have a guy that put up similar stats the year before. Why do you want the guy that's not noticibly faster, is smaller, wasn't the guy that your current QB threw to and is almost 2 years older?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 02:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You have a guy that put up similar stats the year before. Why do you want the guy that's not noticibly faster, is smaller, wasn't the guy that your current QB threw to and is almost 2 years older?

Smith's superior ability on screens and his punt return skills are a couple. Why do you want a guy who doesn't have all the tools that Smith had and bailed on his team? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 02:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You have a guy that put up similar stats the year before. Why do you want the guy that's not noticibly faster, is smaller, wasn't the guy that your current QB threw to and is almost 2 years older?

(02-07-2021, 02:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Smith's superior ability on screens and his punt return skills are a couple. Why do you want a guy who doesn't have all the tools that Smith had and bailed on his team? 

It basically comes down to this nonsense for him.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 02:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It basically comes down to this nonsense for him.

Absolutely 0 need for personal insult. 

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 02:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Absolutely 0 need for personal insult. 

Ok I shouldn’t have called it nonsense. It’s your opinion. It’s my opinion that it’s an unfair thing to hold against these kids though.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 02:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Smith's superior ability on screens and his punt return skills are a couple. Why do you want a guy who doesn't have all the tools that Smith had and bailed on his team

So, you want the smaller guy and you want him more exposed to injury by returning punts and catching screens...

It's all good. None of it makes sense, but if that's the guy you want, more power to you. I just hope the Bengals aren't thinking along the same lines. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
For anyone wanting to point to Smith's 'best ever' season...

Chase had his while his teammates; 1 RB, 2 WRs and 1 TE caught 259 balls for 3,234 yards and 36 TDs.
Smith had his while his teammates; 1 RB, 3 WRS and 1 TE caught 173 balls for 2,455 yards and 16 TDs. 

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 02:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So, you want the smaller guy and you want him more exposed to injury by returning punts and catching screens...

It's all good. None of it makes sense, but if that's the guy you want, more power to you. I just hope the Bengals aren't thinking along the same lines. 

Whomever we take I'm willing to accept the risk that is associated with playing him. Perhaps that thinking doesn't make sense to you, but I'll not use "can do more" as a reason not to select someone. 

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 02:50 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: For anyone wanting to point to Smith's 'best ever' season...

Chase had his while his teammates; 1 RB, 2 WRs and 1 TE caught 259 balls for 3,234 yards and 36 TDs.
Smith had his while his teammates; 1 RB, 3 WRS and 1 TE caught 173 balls for 2,455 yards and 16 TDs. 

One big thing for me is Chase’s career avg of 19.6 > Smith’s 16.9. Smith never really came close to Chase’s insane 21.2 in 2019. Other than his first year at Alabama but that was on only 8 receptions.

Stretching the field should be our main focus if we go WR.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 02:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Whomever we take I'm willing to accept the risk that is associated with playing him. Perhaps that thinking doesn't make sense to you, but I'll not use "can do more" as a reason not to select someone. 

That's fair.  I semi-agree with your hesitancy about guys that sat out, but for other reasons.  It's off-putting to question how out of football shape a guy is if they had a year off.  That's a bit risky IMO, but still not enough to put me off of any elite talent.

Also your new profile pic is an issue.  I can't deal with it, lol.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 02:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Whomever we take I'm willing to accept the risk that is associated with playing him. Perhaps that thinking doesn't make sense to you, but I'll not use "can do more" as a reason not to select someone. 

I don't know how quantifiable his "can do more" is. Could Chase return punts? Possibly. Can he catch screens? Sure. Maybe not quite as shifty, but certainly not noticibly so. 

Due to Smith's size, based on quantifiable evidence, is he more likely to get dinged? Yeah. Especially, the more snaps you put him out there. 

The measurables look to give Chase the edge but you prefer Smith. Like i said, it's all good. But it does seem that, him not playing this year is what's putting him over, in your mind. 

I don't know that you'd be disappointed if the Bengals chose Chase. I'd definitely be dissapointed if the Bengals drafted Smith. 

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 04:01 PM)samhain Wrote: That's fair.  I semi-agree with your hesitancy about guys that sat out, but for other reasons.  It's off-putting to question how out of football shape a guy is if they had a year off.  That's a bit risky IMO, but still not enough to put me off of any elite talent.

Also your new profile pic is an issue.  I can't deal with it, lol.

That is definitely a concern but it should be put to rest with whatever pre-draft "combine" they put on this year. If a player were to decline that, it would certainly be a big red flag. 

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 04:26 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That is definitely a concern but it should be put to rest with whatever pre-draft "combine" they put on this year. If a player were to decline that, it would certainly be a big red flag. 

Otoh you know you are likely getting a healthy, and fresh player. Something that sounds great to me after our last dozen or so 1st rounders...

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 04:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Otoh you know you are likely getting a healthy, and fresh player. Something that sounds great to me after our last dozen or so 1st rounders...

ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 02:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Smith's superior ability on screens and his punt return skills are a couple. Why do you want a guy who doesn't have all the tools that Smith had and bailed on his team? 

You paying homage to Fred or what ? LOL
Reply/Quote
Pitts
Sewell
Parsons
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Sewell
Chase
Smith

But... for the 1000th time this o-line has to be significantly improved this off-season. Skill positions are critical but the games are won in the trenches. Especially in the AFC North.
Reply/Quote

I see more separation when I watch Smith. Sure he can win the contested catches and has plenty of spectacular catch ability. But his agility and acceleration seem really special.

I’m more concerned about the broken hand than I am the slim build. A WR doesn’t have to be huge. I think Smith’s build let’s him change direction and make breaks at full speed that other bigger people just simply can not do. Including the CBS and safeties trying to cover him.

Devonta is like the anti Diva. Chase may have some diva in him.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 01:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We draft the QB that had the best season in the history of college football last year

We have a chance to draft the WR that had the best season in the history of college football this year

I was watching some YouTube of him this morning and Herbstreet mentioned a stat.

Dude is 5th all time in TD catches too... Pretty impressive considering all the mouths to feed at Bama and the guys who were above him on the depth chart and the horses they have had running the ball scoring TDs
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 12:50 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I see more separation when I watch Smith. Sure he can win the contested catches and has plenty of spectacular catch ability. But his agility and acceleration seem really special.

I’m more concerned about the broken hand than I am the slim build. A WR doesn’t have to be huge. I think Smith’s build let’s him change direction and make breaks at full speed that other bigger people just simply can not do. Including the CBS and safeties trying to cover him.

Devonta is like the anti Diva. Chase may have some diva in him.

Based off what?

Reply/Quote