Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Two officers killed down the road from me yesterday
I'm posting this here not because I intend it to be political, but just in case the conversation turns into a political one.

https://www.dnronline.com/news/local/suspect-facing-murder-charges-held-without-bond/article_09dc08c2-8545-523d-a507-a4e09043a5af.html

Quote:BRIDGEWATER — A 27-year-old man has been charged with the killing of a Bridgewater College police officer and a safety officer in a shooting on campus Tuesday afternoon.

Alexander Wyatt Campbell, whose last known address is in Ashland, was taken into custody after a lockdown of the school following the shooting.

Campbell has been charged by VSP with two felony counts of capital murder, one felony count of first degree murder and a felony count of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, according to the Virginia State Police.

The charges have been filed after consultation with Marsha Garst, Rockingham County commonwealth’s attorney, and more charges may be forthcoming as the investigation proceeds, according to VSP.

John Painter, former Grottoes police chief of 18 years and Bridgewater campus officer, was killed along with safety officer J.J. Jefferson. Painter stepped down as chief of the Rockingham County town in 2019.

Jefferson was a former Department of Public Safety sergeant at Shenandoah University in Winchester, a position he took on in 2013. He studied at the school between 2012 and 2018, according to a press release from the school.

“These officers were close friends, known to many of us as the ‘dynamic duo,’” Bridgewater College President David Bushman said in an email to students later Tuesday afternoon.

Painter served as Jefferson’s best man at his wedding this year, according to Bushman.

Campbell is being held at the Rockingham County Jail without bond, Corrine Geller, Virginia State Police spokesperson, said in a press conference at Nininger Hall at BC on Tuesday evening.

Law enforcement is still investigating the shooting and a potential motive. Geller asked anyone with information about the incident or videos and photos from the incident to share it with VSP by email through vsphtcs@vsp.virginia.gov. The FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are also assisting in the investigation.

“It’s still a very complex and very active investigation,” Geller said.

Geller declined to say if Campbell was a student and also could not provide any information about whether Campbell was under the influence of drugs or alcohol during the incident. Based on available evidence, the shooting was isolated and Campbell is the lone suspect.

Campbell was previously a member of the school’s track team, according to witnesses at the scene.

According to an online bio on the Eagles athletic website, which was taken down late Tuesday, Campbell last ran for BC in 2015, placing 13th at the Old Dominion Athletic Conference meet, and was a graduate of Patrick Henry High School.

Geller also said she could not provide any information about a criminal history of Campbell. Multiple firearms were recovered as evidence both on and off campus Tuesday, according to Geller.

Officers were called to the area around Memorial Hall and Flory Hall on the Bridgewater College campus just before 1:20 p.m. due to reports of a suspicious person carrying a duffel bag, according to Geller.

Other Bridgewater College staff first came upon Campbell and startled him around Memorial Hall, according Geller. Geller said Campbell was not supposed to be in the area, but declined to elaborate on why.

Painter and Jefferson responded to the call, came upon Campbell and after a short interaction with the law enforcement officers, he fired at them, Geller said. They died from their injuries, according to Geller. In his role as a campus police officer, Painter was issued a firearm, but Jefferson was not.

Campbell fled the scene on foot across the North River adjacent to the college campus on Riverside Drive and was taken into custody by other law enforcement officers around 1:55 p.m. on a small island in the river, Geller said.

When Campbell was taken into custody, he had a non-life-threatening gunshot wound. VSP is still investigating whether his wound was self-inflicted or was caused by one of the campus officers, Geller said.

He was transported to Sentara RMH Medical Center and was treated before being transported to the county jail, she said. Geller declined to say where the gunshot wound was on Campbell’s body.

Unless it’s determined one of the campus officers shot Campbell, no law enforcement officers discharged their firearms in the incident, according to Geller.

Bridgewater College is a small, private Christian college of about 1,500 students located in the south Rockingham County town of Bridgewater.

According to VSP, there were no students in immediate danger during the incident, though students the Daily News-Record spoke with Tuesday following the incident discussed how stressful and distressing it was to them.

Students were mostly in classes at the time of the shooting, Bushman said during the evening press conference. Students told the Daily News-Record about calling their family members to say they loved them and goodbye as they barricaded themselves into their classrooms after they heard the gunshots.

So, when this occurred I was literally right down the road. I was turning out of a local market after getting lunch onto a main highway when I saw police from my city, which is about 5 miles away, fly past me going to Bridgewater. This, naturally, confused me and I tried to look down the road to see if they were chasing anyone. I saw nothing, so turned north and proceeded home. Then I saw VSP going flying in the same direction. A friend was on the other major highway that connects my city with this town and reported the same thing on our friend group text chain, only she said "This is an active shooter situation. It reminds me too much of when I was a student at VT." Then we heard what was going on.

This is something that hits home in so many ways. Bridgewater is a town I have spent a ton of my life in. It's just down the road from me, both of my maternal great-grandparents graduated from there in the early 1900's, I have friends that both work there and have graduated from there, I've spent a lot of time on that campus as well as the church connected to it (grew up Church of the Brethren and this is a COB college), I have had family both live and work in that town, and I still spend time there as I have Scout units there that I work with on a regular basis. I was just there on Monday evening and from where I was I could have seen everything unfold. This is a small town and a small college and I'm still wrapping my head around all of this. I'm really curious about the motives of the shooter in this situation.

I'm not posting this to make it a conversation about gun issues or school safety or anything. I just wanted to share this because it has hit national news and it is something that hits very, very close to home for me. I didn't know either of the officers that were killed, but I do know a lot of people who did know them. I know people who were at J.J.'s wedding where John was his best man. The ripples in the community from this are just starting to be felt.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 09:33 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm posting this here not because I intend it to be political, but just in case the conversation turns into a political one.

https://www.dnronline.com/news/local/suspect-facing-murder-charges-held-without-bond/article_09dc08c2-8545-523d-a507-a4e09043a5af.html

So, when this occurred I was literally right down the road. I was turning out of a local market after getting lunch onto a main highway when I saw police from my city, which is about 5 miles away, fly past me going to Bridgewater. This, naturally, confused me and I tried to look down the road to see if they were chasing anyone. I saw nothing, so turned north and proceeded home. Then I saw VSP going flying in the same direction. A friend was on the other major highway that connects my city with this town and reported the same thing on our friend group text chain, only she said "This is an active shooter situation. It reminds me too much of when I was a student at VT." Then we heard what was going on.

This is something that hits home in so many ways. Bridgewater is a town I have spent a ton of my life in. It's just down the road from me, both of my maternal great-grandparents graduated from there in the early 1900's, I have friends that both work there and have graduated from there, I've spent a lot of time on that campus as well as the church connected to it (grew up Church of the Brethren and this is a COB college), I have had family both live and work in that town, and I still spend time there as I have Scout units there that I work with on a regular basis. I was just there on Monday evening and from where I was I could have seen everything unfold. This is a small town and a small college and I'm still wrapping my head around all of this. I'm really curious about the motives of the shooter in this situation.

I'm not posting this to make it a conversation about gun issues or school safety or anything. I just wanted to share this because it has hit national news and it is something that hits very, very close to home for me. I didn't know either of the officers that were killed, but I do know a lot of people who did know them. I know people who were at J.J.'s wedding where John was his best man. The ripples in the community from this are just starting to be felt.

These shootings are always a tragedy.  It always hits a little more when it happens in your backyard.

Sound like the shooter might have had some issues too.  So sad.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 10:04 AM)GMDino Wrote: These shootings are always a tragedy.  It always hits a little more when it happens in your backyard.

Sound like the shooter might have had some issues too.  So sad.

Honestly, it sounds a lot like these two confronting the shooter may have prevented even more of a tragedy. We don't know much, yet, but it seems like he may have been disgruntled with the college over something and that interaction with those two caused him to lose his nerve for whatever he was planning.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I've been told by several people on this forum that being an LEO is not that dangerous. Of course, being killed is far from the only possible outcome; being seriously injured or the psychological stress of dealing with the worse humanity has to offer, while simultaneously not being aware of which person on a particular day is going to try and harm you, those are also significant impacts on the health, physical and mental, of LEO's. Throw in the abject hostility of the Democratic party, along with allegation that you are a cog in an irredeemably racist system designed to oppress and kill minorities and these issues are only exacerbated.
Reply/Quote
Man that’s terrible. Too bad Va got rid of the death penalty.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 08:08 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I've been told by several people on this forum that being an LEO is not that dangerous. Of course, being killed is far from the only possible outcome; being seriously injured or the psychological stress of dealing with the worse humanity has to offer, while simultaneously not being aware of which person on a particular day is going to try and harm you, those are also significant impacts on the health, physical and mental, of LEO's. Throw in the abject hostility of the Democratic party, along with allegation that you are a cog in an irredeemably racist system designed to oppress and kill minorities and these issues are only exacerbated.

I have my problems with our current systems, but I have never been one to say the job isn't a dangerous one. I know you know this, but I just have to reiterate it. I also have to point out that anyone that would say that and then look at this incident would have to reexamine their position.

Bridgewater is a town of about 6000. Not tiny, but certainly not the 50,000 of my city. Side note, we have a town down the road with a population of 15. Anyway, Bridgewater has a small Christian college from a peace church, a retirement home and community that is also connected to the peace church, and homes that belong to the people that work at these places as well as some other families here and there. It's a quiet community. The college, one of 1500 students, is not somewhere a retired town police chief would be expecting to face this situation, let alone be killed.

I say this because I have said before in conversations where we were on the same side that you never know how situations will play out. Traffic stops can be killers. And even a college cop gig in a small, religious, farming community can be, too.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 08:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Man that’s terrible. Too bad Va got rid of the death penalty.

I'm still okay without the death penalty. I've just never been a fan of it. A big part of that comes from my upbringing in the Church of the Brethren, the denomination that this college is a part of. The COB has always been against capital punishment as it is but another form of violence and therefore violence against God. Now, my position is a bit more democratic than that, but I'd be lying if I said that being raised in this theological environment didn't have a large impact on my position.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 08:05 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have my problems with our current systems, but I have never been one to say the job isn't a dangerous one. I know you know this, but I just have to reiterate it. I also have to point out that anyone that would say that and then look at this incident would have to reexamine their position.

Bridgewater is a town of about 6000. Not tiny, but certainly not the 50,000 of my city. Side note, we have a town down the road with a population of 15. Anyway, Bridgewater has a small Christian college from a peace church, a retirement home and community that is also connected to the peace church, and homes that belong to the people that work at these places as well as some other families here and there. It's a quiet community. The college, one of 1500 students, is not somewhere a retired town police chief would be expecting to face this situation, let alone be killed.

I say this because I have said before in conversations where we were on the same side that you never know how situations will play out. Traffic stops can be killers. And even a college cop gig in a small, religious, farming community can be, too.

I can't believe anyone would say the job isn't dangerous.  As you say anything can happen at any time.  That's not to say there aren't problems with policing and the public but no one should say it isn't a dangerous job.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 08:05 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have my problems with our current systems, but I have never been one to say the job isn't a dangerous one. I know you know this, but I just have to reiterate it. I also have to point out that anyone that would say that and then look at this incident would have to reexamine their position.

You need look no further then one of the posters in this thread.  Compared law enforcement to "actual dangerous" jobs like logging.

Quote:Bridgewater is a town of about 6000. Not tiny, but certainly not the 50,000 of my city. Side note, we have a town down the road with a population of 15. Anyway, Bridgewater has a small Christian college from a peace church, a retirement home and community that is also connected to the peace church, and homes that belong to the people that work at these places as well as some other families here and there. It's a quiet community. The college, one of 1500 students, is not somewhere a retired town police chief would be expecting to face this situation, let alone be killed.

This is what is constantly, and consistently ignored by anti-law enforcement types.  Literally every situation you find yourself in while executing your job function has the potential to turn violent, even deadly.  It's always that one time you let your guard down that something pops off, so you quickly learn to never let your guard down.  This puts an enormous strain on your psyche, and is also why almost all of us have high blood pressure to some degree, despite being physically fit.  It's constant stress and the events of the last few years, and the constant public castigation amps that up exponentially.  Additionally, any job satisfaction you once had had been utterly destroyed.  I can't tell you how many cases we get involve the same cast of criminals, committing crime after crime and not being charged or being undercharged.  You can literally arrest someone for burglary and have them walk before you finish your paperwork.

Even better, now that all these new laws, and pro-crime DA's are causing everything to go to shit law enforcement gets blamed again because we're "refusing to do our jobs."  It's literally a catch 22, do your job and risk being raked over the coals, at best, if things go badly, or be more careful how you do your job and get blamed for being scared or outright refusing to work.  I can't tell you how many times I have heard, "That's what you signed up for, deal with it" or some variation of that.  Hell, one of the posters in this thread has made this "point."  But guess what, this isn't what anyone signed up for, at all. 
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 09:33 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, when this occurred I was literally right down the road. I was turning out of a local market after getting lunch onto a main highway when I saw police from my city, which is about 5 miles away, fly past me going to Bridgewater. This, naturally, confused me and I tried to look down the road to see if they were chasing anyone. I saw nothing, so turned north and proceeded home. Then I saw VSP going flying in the same direction. A friend was on the other major highway that connects my city with this town and reported the same thing on our friend group text chain, only she said "This is an active shooter situation. It reminds me too much of when I was a student at VT." Then we heard what was going on.

Well, most of the time when someone posts about a police shooting, we go right into the more abstract legal and political issues. 

What you are doing here is contextualizing and humanizing a specific shooting by focusing on its wider community effects.  That is a welcome change.

Anyway, I'd be happy to follow updates along those lines, as well as any info on what actually happened--what the shooter was up to, effects on victims families, etc.

(02-03-2022, 12:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: I can't believe anyone would say the job isn't dangerous.  As you say anything can happen at any time.  That's not to say there aren't problems with policing and the public but no one should say it isn't a dangerous job.

Yeah, I haven't heard anyone say that in this forum. I have heard police say (in television interviews) that they've never fired their weapon in 20 years of service, etc. That may give people the impression it's a pretty safe job. 

I understand the concerns expressed by SSF. I have often thought I would not like to be a police officer or highway patrolman precisely because I don't want to be constantly walking up to cars I have stopped, wondering if what looks like a normal stop will be that carjacker who's vowed never to go back to prison or some such.  Also, my brother in law was a cop in a small MT town (3,000 pop.), and I used to ride around with him on rounds sometimes. He was called to a couple of nasty domestic disputes. What a job. Small towns have some advantage over big cities though, in that most everyone knows the police officers and they get more direct appreciation.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote