Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two paths: What if vs. Same ol, same ol
I see two very distinctive paths that the Bengals have the potential to follow after this weekend.

Scenario 1:

There is a good chance that Alex Redmond earns the start at RG this Sunday. While the Jags have a solid LB corps in Myles Jack and Joe Schobert, their defensive line is not very good. If Redmond is able to come in and stabilize the line (I know that sounds ridiculous, but hear me out), and Joe Mixon can help provide some balance on the offense with a nice 20 carry, 100+ yard effort, I see their defense unable to tee off on Burrow and Joe will likely pick the Jags apart. Redmond was always a solid (read: average) player at RG, but the stupid penalties were what killed him. Now, after realizing how stupid his offseason injury was and how he blew a great opportunity he had in Cincy. Now, while still a member of the PS, he could come in and use his strengths while benching his stupidity and earn the RG spot until XSF returns. If Redmond makes a big improvement at RG, there is a scenario where XSF could move to his natural LG spot and replaces the struggling Michael Jordan.

I think we will see more of Gio as well, which will only push Mixon to make his carries count. Burrow has had another week getting more snaps with Higgins and Tate, so I believe that timing will improve. Green will continue to (hopefully) shake off the rust and should have a solid day.

Geno Atkins may get very few snaps to ease him in (say 25?) and could be ready for something closer to 50 the following week. Having him and Daniels healthy rotating next to Reader could be huge. We are already seeing improved linebacker and secondary play without the most important part...the trench.

Say the Bengals come out and play as described above and win a fairly convincing game 42-17, the team might start believing in themselves and get on a bit of a roll. With the offense starting to click, it is conceivable that they could pull off a major upset at Baltimore, leaving themselves 2-2-1. I'm sure I lost some of you with that last thought, but the way KC beat their offense down and teams will adjust to how Baltimore runs the ball.

Pull off this upset and you are now .500 facing Indy, Cleveland, and Tennessee before the BYE week. With Burrow, things could start getting pretty interesting.

Scenario 2: The Jags upset the Bengals at home and you are facing going to Baltimore and likely starting at 0-4-1 with Indy, Cleveland, and Tennessee before the BYE. If this happens, you might start seeing the likes of Adeniji, Bailey, etc to evaluate players and play out the string with a few wins and a top 5 pick. This is sure as hell not what I want, and I bet Joe Burrow would have a real problem with it as well. However, if this doesn't work, it is really a long shot he stays healthy the entire season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, it appears that the Bengals chose scenario 1 with nearly every single detail except getting Geno some snaps.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote