Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tycen Anderson Named DPOP By PFF!
Tycen Anderson was named Defensive Player of the year by PFF!

With Bates and Bell leaving, I was a bit worried about the safety spots and our lack of depth behind Scott and Hill, but it looks like Tycen Anderson has been impressing the coaches and could carve out a spot where he gets some time on defense!

Quote:On Monday, PFF’s Gordon McGuinness released his preseason teams and revealed his preseason player awards.

Anderson was named McGuinness’ Defensive Player of the Preseason after his performance in the Bengals’ three games.

“Anderson finished the preseason with a 91.7 PFF coverage grade, primarily driven by his performance in the Bengals’ opener. He recorded two interceptions against the Packers in that first contest — one of which he returned for a touchdown.”

The Toledo product allowed just one catch on three targets across 81 preseason coverage snaps.

Anderson’s biggest issue was his tackling, as he missed three tackles in the preseason, with two coming in the finale.

It looks like the Bengals will have Nick Scott and Dax Hill as their starting safeties this season, but it looks like they have decent depth behind them with Anderson.

I like all that because tackling can be fixed with coaching and practice, but you can't teach ball skills and instincts in pass defense!
Reply/Quote
I don't care about preseason awards. More interested in regular season awards although he had a good preseason.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 02:00 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I don't care about preseason awards. More interested in regular season awards although he had a good preseason.

Preseason helps players get prepared and lets coaches know what they have to work with.
Reply/Quote
People were worried about our safety room going into the off-season but between Hill, Scott, Anderson, and Battle we actually have a pretty solid group. I imagine that Anderson will mostly sub for Hill and Battle for Scott. A big question is if Battle will be able to wrestle the starting spot from Scott by the end of the season. One thing I like about this coaching staff is they will absolutely sit a vet/FA for a younger guy if the situation calls for it; a refreshing change from the Marvin tenure when it seemed like it would take eons for the young guys to crack the starting lineup even when the starter was an obvious issue.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Honestly I'm a little more worried about the safety position than I was before training camp and preseason. I was worried after Bates and Bell both left and I'll admit after the first preseason game my worries were put at ease with both Dax and Tycen flashing even Battle made a play or two. But since that Nick Scott looked to struggle a little now to be fair it was his first live game action. But then Battle and Tycen both seemed to fall back to Earth and both seem like maybe the game is still a little too much for them as they seem a little too tentative to me. Now I will say I was very impressed with Dax in both of his preseason outings. But Bates was a steady Eddie force us where over his time here he missed what maybe one or two games? And Bell was a physical instinctual play maker. Now while I think Dax can match Bates dependable play while adding more play making ability. I'm worried about the depth and play of the guys around him.
Reply/Quote
Tycen brings a lot of athleticism to the table, but until he cleans up those missed tackles he'll have a tough time gaining Lou's trust. One quality that Lou seems to value above all others is the ability to securely put someone on the ground.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The Bengals roster is looking better and when players like Tycen Anderson are on the bench it opens up opportunities to trade for needs. For example… say Dallas needs a safety due to a starter season ending injury. We trade him for Cooper Rush. The Patriots did that for years during their run.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 08:58 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The Bengals roster is looking better and when players like Tycen Anderson are on the bench it opens up opportunities to trade for needs. For example… say Dallas needs a safety due to a starter season ending injury. We trade him for Cooper Rush. The Patriots did that for years during their run.

Why would trading our 3rd safety for a back up QB help us make the superbowl? The Patriots made trades for people that were actually going to see the field and contribute. 
Reply/Quote
He's going to have to wrap up better. His tackling has been suspect. He's been diving at the legs a lot from what I've seen. Slowing the runner down for others to make a tackle but not bringing them down himself.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Amazing comeback from Tycen. He really gave his all when watching the team last year. He’s going to be a rookie technically but he played like a vet and that’s 100% from watching Bates and Bell
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 09:36 AM)TheFan Wrote: Why would trading our 3rd safety for a back up QB help us make the superbowl? The Patriots made trades for people that were actually going to see the field and contribute. 

Okay you don’t like that example
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 10:09 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Okay you don’t like that example

I wasn't trying to be attacking or dismissive. I definitely agree that trades can be helpful, which the Bengals seem reluctant to do and get fixated on their players. We've seen instances where it has worked out with other teams as well as with the Billy Price trade. I'm sure there evidence of trades not working as well. Obviously finding a trade partner that wants a player you don't and is willing to give up a player you like is probably harder then some seem to think. 
Reply/Quote
Didn't Mike Thomas give Anderson his jersey?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 12:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Didn't Mike Thomas give Anderson his jersey?

Yep.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 01:06 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Tycen Anderson was named Defensive Player of the year by PFF!

With Bates and Bell leaving, I was a bit worried about the safety spots and our lack of depth behind Scott and Hill, but it looks like Tycen Anderson has been impressing the coaches and could carve out a spot where he gets some time on defense!

I like all that because tackling can be fixed with coaching and practice, but you can't teach ball skills and instincts in pass defense!

That's cool, clean up the tackling is all, he had a great game against the Pack so I get it.

Really like Tycen's upside, he is ahead of Battle right now with the extra year in the system. I like our Safeties, especially Dax and Tycen.
Reply/Quote