Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Boyd
In all the drama surrounding a 17 point deficit and come-from-behind victory in Tampa, it almost went unnoticed that Tyler Boyd, 7 days from a bone protruding from his hand, was targeted 5 times and he ended the game with 5 receptions for 35 yards and a touchdown.

Perhaps more impressive, Boyd showed his typical selflessness and toughness with an elite PFF rating in his BLOCKING. (89.8)

Thank you, Tyler, for your toughness and dedication.

https://www.bengals.com/video/tyler-boyd-on-playing-with-finger-injury-i-got-nine-other-fingers-that-ll-help-m
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 09:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: In all the drama surrounding a 17 point deficit and come-from-behind victory in Tampa, it almost went unnoticed that Tyler Boyd, 7 days from a bone protruding from his hand, was targeted 5 times and he ended the game with 5 receptions for 35 yards and a touchdown.

Perhaps more impressive, Boyd showed his typical selflessness and toughness with an elite PFF rating in his BLOCKING.  (89.8)

https://www.bengals.com/video/tyler-boyd-on-playing-with-finger-injury-i-got-nine-other-fingers-that-ll-help-m

I was genuinely surprised he played as well as he did with that injury.  My thinking was that he was playing more of a decoy role, but he was out there doing all the things he normally does.  
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 09:59 AM)samhain Wrote: I was genuinely surprised he played as well as he did with that injury.  My thinking was that he was playing more of a decoy role, but he was out there doing all the things he normally does.  

I wasn't surprised really. They can put a brace on the finger and tape it up, numb it up, and then put a glove on it. It did not surprise me he played. He's a tough kid.
Reply/Quote
Zac gave TB a game ball. It didn’t go unnoticed by the team.

Reply/Quote
Dude is a baller. He consistently rises up when it’s needed most.
Reply/Quote
This contract stuff makes it tough. I'd hate to lose TB, but it might just have to work out that way.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 10:53 AM)Wyche Wrote: This contract stuff makes it tough. I'd hate to lose TB, but it might just have to work out that way.

I was just about to mention that some of us had TB tabbed as the odd man out, when it comes to re-upping the WR corps contracts.  He's always been a Raven killer, plays uber hard versus the Steelers, then showing tremendous courage in games like the one at Tampa.  He's really making it tough to contemplate the team moving on without him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 10:53 AM)Wyche Wrote: This contract stuff makes it tough. I'd hate to lose TB, but it might just have to work out that way.

(12-20-2022, 11:44 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I was just about to mention that some of us had TB tabbed as the odd man out, when it comes to re-upping the WR corps contracts.  He's always been a Raven killer, plays uber hard versus the Steelers, then showing tremendous courage in games like the one at Tampa.  He's really making it tough to contemplate the team moving on without him.

I keep hoping/dreaming there's some way they can cut salary elsewhere and keep the 3 headed monster together.
Reply/Quote

(12-20-2022, 11:44 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I was just about to mention that some of us had TB tabbed as the odd man out, when it comes to re-upping the WR corps contracts.  He's always been a Raven killer, plays uber hard versus the Steelers, then showing tremendous courage in games like the one at Tampa.  He's really making it tough to contemplate the team moving on without him.

I don't think losing Boyd moves the needle enough to cover for signing both Higgins and Chase. Those two are going to combine for an average of at least $60m/yr ($25m/yr and $35m/yr, respectively). Combine that with Burrow's $50-55m/yr, and it will be real hard to build a competitive team around those 3 contracts. In two years, even if you project the cap to rise massively to $240m, they'll still be ~46% of the cap on average. For 3 guys. That's a tough way to try to build a complete team.

Say it rises $32m, but their cap hits on average rise from ~$19m this year to $110m, that's still $59m difference. Then remove Boyd's $10m as that's the start of this conversation. Now try to find where you can cut $49m worth of cap hits on this current team and it still be good.

Possibly more important than cap numbers, where the Bengals are concerned, that's a whole lot more liquid wealth that the Browns/Blackburns have to put into escrow. Burrow is going to get $125-235m guaranteed at signing (not sure if he'll push for more than Watson or just take more than Wilson who has the 2nd highest guaranteed at signing, but whatever he wants, he gets), Higgins will get $40-45m guaranteed at signing, Chase will probably get $60m after Justin Jefferson resets the ceiling for WR contracts this offseason. That's all money that has to be liquid and put into escrow.

For reference, the highest non-rookie-contract guaranteed at signing amount the Bengals have on their roster right now is Reader at $20.25m followed by Hendrickson at $16m. They don't give high guarantees at signing unless forced to by the CBA, but they're going to have to here soon.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 12:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't think losing Boyd moves the needle enough to cover for signing both Higgins and Chase. Those two are going to combine for an average of at least $60m/yr ($25m/yr and $35m/yr, respectively). Combine that with Burrow's $50-55m/yr, and it will be real hard to build a competitive team around those 3 contracts. In two years, even if you project the cap to rise massively to $240m, they'll still be ~46% of the cap on average. For 3 guys. That's a tough way to try to build a complete team.

Say it rises $32m, but their cap hits on average rise from ~$19m this year to $110m, that's still $59m difference. Then remove Boyd's $10m as that's the start of this conversation. Now try to find where you can cut $49m worth of cap hits on this current team and it still be good.

Possibly more important than cap numbers, where the Bengals are concerned, that's a whole lot more liquid wealth that the Browns/Blackburns have to put into escrow. Burrow is going to get $125-235m guaranteed at signing (not sure if he'll push for more than Watson or just take more than Wilson who has the 2nd highest guaranteed at signing, but whatever he wants, he gets), Higgins will get $40-45m guaranteed at signing, Chase will probably get $60m after Justin Jefferson resets the ceiling for WR contracts this offseason. That's all money that has to be liquid and put into escrow.

For reference, the highest non-rookie-contract guaranteed at signing amount the Bengals have on their roster right now is Reader at $20.25m followed by Hendrickson at $16m. They don't give high guarantees at signing unless forced to by the CBA, but they're going to have to here soon.

Oh, I agree, and that's what I meant by my post. If you can manage to keep Tee along with Chase, that's the correct move. For starters, they're younger....and very explosive/dynamic. That definitely makes Tyler the odd man out. It just sucks though. It's tough to lose a team leader, grinder type player. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 12:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: Oh, I agree, and that's what I meant by my post. If you can manage to keep Tee along with Chase, that's the correct move. For starters, they're younger....and very explosive/dynamic. That definitely makes Tyler the odd man out. It just sucks though. It's tough to lose a team leader, grinder type player. 

On a positive note if we are forced to part ways with TB, Irwin can take that spot and our offense doesn't get weaker. 

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 01:42 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: On a positive note if we are forced to part ways with TB, Irwin can take that spot and our offense doesn't get weaker. 

I hope you're joking
Reply/Quote
Irwin is playing great, but Boyd is the best Slot receiver in the game.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 02:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Irwin is playing great, but Boyd is the best Slot receiver in the game.

Boyd's our boy, but Kupp and Amon-Ra have passed him up. Your point stands that Irwin ain't close to Tyler though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 02:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Irwin is playing great, but Boyd is the best Slot receiver in the game.

I have a feeling Boyd will stay. He's been here a long time, through the lows and now highs, and is a great team player. The Bengals will work something out with him. Chase is a must-have in terms of long-term extension, though it's still VERY early in his career I believe history will remember him as one of the all-time greats. Higgins, unfortunately, is most likely the odd man out. I like him, but he is going to want to be paid as much as Chase.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 01:46 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I hope you're joking

I wasn't joking. What we've seen of Irwin has been solid. If we were forced to lose TB, he could learn the position. He has the ball skills and he's not afraid to get hit. I wasn't taking anything from Boyd with the comment. 

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 04:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I wasn't joking. What we've seen of Irwin has been solid. If we were forced to lose TB, he could learn the position. He has the ball skills and he's not afraid to get hit. I wasn't taking anything from Boyd with the comment. 

Irwin cant replace what Boyd brings. Boyd is the best slot receiver in the league. I like Irwin as a 4th receiver, but that's it
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 09:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: In all the drama surrounding a 17 point deficit and come-from-behind victory in Tampa, it almost went unnoticed that Tyler Boyd, 7 days from a bone protruding from his hand, was targeted 5 times and he ended the game with 5 receptions for 35 yards and a touchdown.

Perhaps more impressive, Boyd showed his typical selflessness and toughness with an elite PFF rating in his BLOCKING.  (89.8)

No doubt. Didn't expect Boyd to play that good and catch the ball that well with that injury. Got some tough dudes on our team.

Just saw Hendrickson might play against the Patriots too which I would of never thought, Hurst might go too.
Reply/Quote
Tongue 
(12-20-2022, 10:15 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Zac gave TB a game ball. It didn’t go unnoticed by the team.

Did Zac have to pass it to him he could not hand it off? LMAO
Reply/Quote
A few questioned Boyd's toughness last week when he did not come back into the game. He has played slot here for 7 years in the AFC North the toughest division in the NFL. I was going to reply to them, but I just had to laugh and SMH. Boyd never surprises me really great hands and tough with good speed. His only limits are a few routes that are better suited by outside WR types.
Reply/Quote