Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tyler Boyd
(01-30-2023, 05:58 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: For everyone saying we would have won with boyd, doesn’t that contradict The “burrow elevates everyone” ideology.

We can’t keep everyone and it seemed like losing Boyd was something we all generally accepted. How do we truly get better? Who can we afford to lose. Lots of questions to be answered this off-season and next.

He can and he has shown it this season when Chase and Higgins were missing games. There was a stretch where Perine and Irving were collecting passing TD's/yards.

Difference is he had a healthy O-Line and had time to throw from the pocket. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 06:05 PM)mitano Wrote: We can lose Boyd if we can upgrade the Oline. When the OL is compromised like yesterday and Burrow does not have time to throw, a slot WR like Boyd is really important.

A good 3rd receiving option is important period. Doesn't have to be Tyler Boyd good, but probably has to be better than Irwin or Taylor.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Yep Tyler going down hurt the cause in a big way.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 07:18 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I think so, he was off to a good start. Hun being out is the reason why KC was able to double both Higgins & Chase. I don’t remember even seeing Irwin catch a pass? Did he have a catch?

he had 1 catch on only 2 targets.. in the end Burrow was zoning in on Chase and Higgins regardless of double teams.. i understand those players need to get more targets they received about 1/2 targets but i did think Burrow gave up early on the RBs in the flats especially with pressure he was getting.  
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 07:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: part of that was Mahomes giving the WR time, watch he takes a deeper drop at time anticipating the rush.. there is a reason he is the best QB in the NFL now.

Mahomes OL is significantly better than even our starting OL though, you cannot compare that OL to the back up OL yesterday. He's the best QB in the NFL but his play style isn't quick releases like Burrow or Brady. After the first few weeks, the offense changed to adapt to our current OL to avoid sacks and Burrow had some deeper drops in the regular season. 
Maybe it takes time for Burrow to adapt to that new O-line yesterday and time his releases. But I don't know if deeper drop can overcome 43% drop back pressure. It was even higher than last year Championship game. I also noticed that this year if Burrow is sacked 4+ times, the team would lose. Last year he could take more sacks and the team could still win. It was due to him holding the ball longer last year and he throws faster this year. This year team was built on timing to avoid problems with the OL. Yesterday the line only gave him 2.50 sec and if he drops deeper, how much time can they buy more. Boyd was important in that he can seperate faster more than Higgins, Chase double coveraged and better than Irwin.
Now if we can even have our normal starting OL, Boyd is not that important compared to yesterday. A guy like Irwin elevated from practice squad will do. Now if we can magically have a top 5 OL, we might not even need Higgins. This team can draft WRs well enough but always miss on OL. So it's about the decision to keep drafting OL or seeking free agent for starters/depth.
Reply/Quote
Deeper drops do not protect weak offensive tackles. Quite the opposite actually.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Deeper drops do not protect weak offensive tackles. Quite the opposite actually.

I noticed Burrow almost never drop deeper last night compared to a few times in the regular season. Can you help me understand with that since some people say it's better and some say it's not.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Deeper drops do not protect weak offensive tackles. Quite the opposite actually.

actually it can help a weak tackle but it also helps with the opposing DE ... the key is the variance of the drops since part of a DE technique is already  have a zone for their rush so  a QB that varies his drops or adjust to them can impact the rush area of the DE.. the point is not having deep drops but to vary drops which is something Mahomes does pretty well. 
Reply/Quote