Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Boyd
Great story on our rookie WR. I wish him the best.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Boyd-mixes-blue-collar-with-orange-and-black/45bc6d1c-1c9c-4568-b896-966ff0af66dd
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Anyone else get concerned when you read that his mother "retired" at the age of 42 to handle his affairs? I hope that being a Social Worker gave her knowledge to hire actual financial professionals.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2016, 04:16 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Anyone else get concerned when you read that his mother "retired" at the age of 42 to handle his affairs?  I hope that being a Social Worker gave her knowledge to hire actual financial professionals.

Not really. A lot of parents try to help their kids when they reach the NFL. They've usually concentrated so much on football (or whatever sport they're in) and haven't fully adapted to real world responsibilities. She'll probably help keep him in line so he's not blowing money on jewelry and cars right off the bat.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2016, 04:22 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Not really. A lot of parents try to help their kids when they reach the NFL. They've usually concentrated so much on football (or whatever sport they're in) and haven't fully adapted to real world responsibilities. She'll probably help keep him in line so he's not blowing money on jewelry and cars right off the bat.

Profile says he bought her a house to live in and is driving a new Mercedes.  Maybe I am cynical, but I like hearing stories like the ones I read about Richard Sherman and Eddie Lacy... Sherman's dad insisted on continuing to work so he could get his pension and Lacy's mom said she would accept a house out of his second contract.
Reply/Quote
I don't worry about other people's money.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2016, 04:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: I don't worry about other people's money.

Maybe he blows it all and works even harder for the next contract...
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2016, 04:16 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Anyone else get concerned when you read that his mother "retired" at the age of 42 to handle his affairs?  I hope that being a Social Worker gave her knowledge to hire actual financial professionals.

FWIW I was reading a diff article about Boyd and like what I read about his mother. In high school he had an in school suspension for whatever reason but the coaches called his mother to let her know it wouldn't effect his play time on the field in the game that night. She made them hold him out of the first quarter and only play on offense for the rest of the game.

His mom sounds funny, and like she doesn't let him get away with bein a bonehead.

Not that that has much to do with handling his financial situation, but maybe she is just a good mama haha.
Reply/Quote
Ahh... Prophecy Fulfilled

Quote:“I was thinking about this after he got drafted,” she says under a rare stretch of shade at Kennywood Park, where Greater Pittsburgh goes for amusement in the summer. “During his high school years somebody gave him a pair of Cincinnati Bengals gloves. They had the B in the middle.

“At the championship game he scored a touchdown and they were going to commercial and he held his hands above his head. You could see those gloves. They were black and orange, his high school colors. He was a Clairton Bear, now a Cincinnati Bengal, which is CB . . . Honestly, he’s exactly where he’s supposed to be.”
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2016, 04:31 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Profile says he bought her a house to live in and is driving a new Mercedes.  Maybe I am cynical, but I like hearing stories like the ones I read about Richard Sherman and Eddie Lacy... Sherman's dad insisted on continuing to work so he could get his pension and Lacy's mom said she would accept a house out of his second contract.

Or Gio's dad not even taking time off while he opens and closes his own business every day.

I agree with the cynicism. His money sounds like it will be going to the conmunity fund. Nothing wrong with a little splurge at first. Hopefully the rest starts getting saved and invested properly. Too many of these guys screw themselves.
Reply/Quote
Predetermining the slot for Boyd is fine. I'd still like to see competition for WR2. Sure, Lafell has the experience but I'm not convinced. Maybe it'll be better if they switch. Who knows. I'm wondering if the coaching staff will hold a true competition.

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2016, 03:53 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Great story on our rookie WR. I wish him the best.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Boyd-mixes-blue-collar-with-orange-and-black/45bc6d1c-1c9c-4568-b896-966ff0af66dd

Could be good for Boyd or could be bad. I hope it's good.

Reply/Quote
Really good read. Although I think since I'm 10 minutes away from Kennywood park, also do social work, and have clients in Clairton is why this article was more interesting to me.

Clairton is not a good place to grow up. When I had a girlfriend there in high school I wasn't allowed to see her unless we went somewhere else because, like Boyd said, people would play for money on basketball courts and those turned into fist fights so many times.

Hoping Boyd keeps working hard. I expect him to be the #2 WR honestly. I don't see him as just a slot guy, see him outside as well.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2016, 04:31 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Profile says he bought her a house to live in and is driving a new Mercedes.  Maybe I am cynical, but I like hearing stories like the ones I read about Richard Sherman and Eddie Lacy... Sherman's dad insisted on continuing to work so he could get his pension and Lacy's mom said she would accept a house out of his second contract.

I think you are being cynical.. 
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2016, 08:32 PM)jeremydc Wrote: Predetermining the slot for Boyd is fine. I'd still like to see competition for WR2. Sure, Lafell has the experience but I'm not convinced. Maybe it'll be better if they switch. Who knows. I'm wondering if the coaching staff will hold a true competition.

#2 WR competition will likely be LaFell versus Tate versus Core versus Wright.

I'd expect that the shot competition will be Boyd, Alligator hands Alford and Kumerow.

On the depth chart I expect, sadly, that Tate will be listed as AJ Green's backup, but in practice if AJ were to miss any time, LaFell will fill in at AJ's spot and Boyd could move over to the #2 spot.

Reply/Quote
This article in CincyJungle makes it sound like Boyd will be used strictly in the slot:

Quote:While Boyd has the potential to be an impact player all over the Bengals' offense, the Bengals have and will continue to work him at the slot, where he's expected to play primarily as a rookie.

Hobson also said that it seems like Boyd is bound for the slot:

Quote:But the new guy who must make the biggest impact to help keep them a contender is Boyd, the second-rounder from Pitt. He is their slot receiver no matter what, it seems, and he did have a good spring. He’s a legit 6-2 and plays with awareness, vision and an uncommon ability to wriggle free in space.

I think Boyd becomes a hell of a player. But at a position where rookies traditionally have a slow start, can he give them the production a fourth-year slot receiver like Mohamed Sanu gave them last season right away in that tough opening stretch?

That came as a shock to me because I'd love for us to have two tight ends on the field at the same time and I assume that Boyd will be on the field a lot, so that would take a tight end out of the equation if he's in the slot.

The coaches also love Core, which I've said all-along that I love him and think he was a steal and a great talent that only fell in the draft because he didn't stand out with Treadwell taking all the attention, and it seems like the coaches are thinking along the same lines:

Quote:"He played opposite of the other wideout (Treadwell) and made a lot of catches," Lewis said of Core. "He has physical tools and goes up and catches the football. He's tenacious as a blocker. There are a lot of great things — he's big and strong. Those things show on tape. So it was very attractive to us. We were fortunate to get him there in the sixth

"He's got a lot of growth ahead. The good thing is that's what all these guys do. That's what we want. We want guys that are ascending as they come here to the NFL level, as opposed to already capped out. That's sometimes why I think teams grade guys a little differently. We want to find players on the upswing, that have an opportunity to move up and forward."

We have a lot of weapons and it will be a great season to see our offense be explosive!
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2016, 01:08 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: The coaches also love Core, which I've said all-along that I love him and think he was a steal and a great talent that only fell in the draft because he didn't stand out with Treadwell taking all the attention, and it seems like the coaches are thinking along the same lines:

Core stepped into the perfect situation.  He got taken by a winning team with a top level QB, yet the WR corps is so thin he has a good chance to see some playing time.  #4 WR is wide open.  It could be anyone.  The #4 plays several snaps a game even if no one gets hurt, and chances are one of the top 3 will be injured at some point.
Reply/Quote

It sounds to me as though his mother helped him make great decisions his entire life. I read it as a positive his mother would continue to be by his side insuring a young man with a ton of money is not lead astray by outside influences. These young guys go from broke to millionaires at age 21, so an adult close by can only help in my humble opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Hopefully his mom continues to put for Boyd first. I think that's a good thing because Boyd will almost always make the right decision when he's away from his mother, because disappointing her would not be a good thing...

The biggest thing is that I hope she doesn't fall into those traps of listening to the wrong people and losing the money.
Reply/Quote
Not concerned with how he spends his money as long as it is not felonious.

Just hope the kid can help our Bengals win.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2016, 10:55 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It sounds to me as though his mother helped him make great decisions his entire life. I read it as a positive his mother would continue to be by his side insuring a young man with a ton of money is not lead astray by outside influences. These young guys go from broke to millionaires at age 21, so an adult close by can only help in my humble opinion.

I agree, but I think the best thing a parent can do is to help him find an experienced, reputable financial professional who knows how to make the money last.  Listen, it matters nothing to me... I just know that a lot of people take on too much financial strain and end up back to broke (especially if they have a short career and/or don't get a big second contract).

$4 million is a lot of money, but it's not "we're rich and no one ever has to worry about anything again" money.
Reply/Quote