Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Tyler Boyd Appreciation Thread
Can we all just agree Boyd has turned into an absolute stud for us? Guy is the best slot receiver in the league right now, and I’m not sure it’s even particularly close. The no-look catch he made in the red zone against the Titans was just absolutely ridiculous. I never watched him at Pitt much, but I can see why he broke all of Larry Fitzgerald’s records.

He’s currently 2nd in the league in receptions (54), and 9th in receiving yds (584). The only category he’s not top 10 in is TD’s (he’s 15th with 3). Just wanted to give our best WR some props instead of arguing over the other guys.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I like it.  The guy has been so underrated and underappreciated.  I sometimes forget how young he is because of how composed and well put together he is as a player.  Player comparisons are always off, but on some level he reminds me of a bigger Wes Welker.  That's some high praise and I think that he will continue to earn it.
Reply/Quote
Boyd's everything you want in a player tough, reliable, team guy and always plays hard. He's one of the more underrated and underappreciated players in the NFL. Not sure if this is a great comparison but his style of play kind of reminds me of T.J. Houshmandzadeh. They were basically the same size T.J listed at 6'2 200lbs and Boyd listed at 6'2 203lbs. Both played the slot, worked the middle of the field and both seemed to convert every big 3rd down. Feel like T.J was automatic when you needed at big 1st down and I feel the same way with Boyd.
Reply/Quote
Count me in. The rest of the league doesn't seem to quite recognize how good he is even being in the midst of his third outstanding season.
Reply/Quote
My favorite receiver on the team.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 03:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Can we all just agree Boyd has turned into an absolute stud for us? Guy is the best slot receiver in the league right now, and I’m not sure it’s even particularly close. The no-look catch he made in the red zone against the Titans was just absolutely ridiculous. I never watched him at Pitt much, but I can see why he broke all of Larry Fitzgerald’s records.

He’s currently 2nd in the league in receptions (54), and 9th in receiving yds (584). The only category he’s not top 10 in is TD’s (he’s 15th with 3). Just wanted to give our best WR some props instead of arguing over the other guys.

The way Burrow attacks the middle of the field, many of us saw this a match made in heaven.  Boyd has great toughness, hands, route precision, and has started to emerge as a leader.  I believe only one team has put their best cover guy on him (the Ravens) and the Bengals didn't have many answers to it.  Tee Higgins is really starting to emerge as a strong #2 outside.  

I think moving forward (this year) that Tate should get a lot of snaps over Green.  We want to develop the guy and see what we have moving forward.  I love Tate for his massive catch radius and his great hands.  

The one big piece that would still be missing is a speedster for gadget plays and to stretch the defense, but I feel they can address that in the draft in perhaps the fourth round. 
Reply/Quote
Might be the toughest WR in the league. Does everything well, fits our current offense perfectly and dude is a total gamer
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 03:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Can we all just agree Boyd has turned into an absolute stud for us? Guy is the best slot receiver in the league right now, and I’m not sure it’s even particularly close. The no-look catch he made in the red zone against the Titans was just absolutely ridiculous. I never watched him at Pitt much, but I can see why he broke all of Larry Fitzgerald’s records.

Boyd's having a great year.  He reminds me a lot of TJ, except with a little more natural athletic ability.  Getting AJ back and Tee's emergence have really helped keep D's from keying on him like they did all last year.
Reply/Quote
AJ said he was "the best slot receiver in the league, and it's not even close"
Reply/Quote
Kenny Vaccaro just blasted him over the middle and Boyd got up
Like it was no big thing.The guy is made out of steel.
Reply/Quote
I absolutely love Boyd. Incredibly reliable and a great piece for the offense.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 03:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Can we all just agree Boyd has turned into an absolute stud for us? Guy is the best slot receiver in the league right now, and I’m not sure it’s even particularly close. The no-look catch he made in the red zone against the Titans was just absolutely ridiculous. I never watched him at Pitt much, but I can see why he broke all of Larry Fitzgerald’s records.

I broke out into a hearty, coy laugh that I make sometimes when something unexpectedly-good happens and my wife yelled from upstairs, "what happened?" To which I replied, "you know how I always complain about the flukey-shit that the Stoolers always have come their way? Well Boyd just made one of those catches and it was AWESOME! Big Grin"

In no way, shape or form should that ball have been caught, but by God, it was beyond-incredible. Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Boyd is awesome, period.

EDIT* wanted to add; if I ever need a 4th down pass play to be a first down, I'm picking Boyd over any other player in the league; he's the main reason why we convert all of the 4th downs we do and, IIRC, we lead the league in 4th down percentage since 2019 (I may be wrong on that).

SECOND EDIT* My mistake, we're 2nd: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/fourth-down-conversion-pct. Last year, we were 12th, thus we're still in the top 3rd of the league, for the past 2 years.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 11:44 AM)Whatever Wrote: Boyd's having a great year.  He reminds me a lot of TJ, except with a little more natural athletic ability.  Getting AJ back and Tee's emergence have really helped keep D's from keying on him like they did all last year.

Even last season it felt like it didn’t matter that everyone knew the ball was going to him on 3rd down, he still made the play. He’s become extremely clutch.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 11:51 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Kenny Vaccaro just blasted him over the middle and Boyd got up
Like it was no big thing.The guy is made out of steel.

He is from Pittsburgh...
Reply/Quote
Really like Boyd. Weary of a holdout though as he can't play out his current contract.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 12:38 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Really like Boyd. Weary of a holdout though as he can't play out his current contract.

Why’s that?

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 12:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why’s that?

I just think he is or will soon be outperforming his contract and people will get in his ear. 
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 12:01 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I broke out into a hearty, coy laugh that I make sometimes when something unexpectedly-good happens and my wife yelled from upstairs, "what happened?" To which I replied, "you know how I always complain about the flukey-shit that the Stoolers always have come their way? Well Boyd just made one of those catches and it was AWESOME! Big Grin"

In no way, shape or form should that ball have been caught, but by God, it was beyond-incredible. Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Boyd is awesome, period.

EDIT* wanted to add; if I ever need a 4th down pass play to be a first down, I'm picking Boyd over any other player in the league; he's the main reason why we convert all of the 4th downs we do and, IIRC, we lead the league in 4th down percentage since 2019 (I may be wrong on that).

SECOND EDIT* My mistake, we're 2nd: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/fourth-down-conversion-pct. Last year, we were 12th, thus we're still in the top 3rd of the league, for the past 2 years.

Boyd is a great team player and a guy with Cris Cater type hands great catcher.

Our QB sneak is pretty strong too our O-line seems to get great push doing it and its almost a for sure one yard gain.
Reply/Quote
Since the beginning of the 2018 season only 5 WRs have more receptions than Boyd's 220 (Michael Thomas, DeAndre Hopkins, Keenan Allen, Julio Jones, Davante Adams).

Among the 55 WRs with more than 100 receptions since 2018 Boyd is 15th in catch percentage (67.9%).

Since 2018 Boyd has 52 receptions on third down that resulted in a first down conversion. The only players with more are Julio Jones and Keenan Allen with 55 each.

Here is the big shocker. I will admit that it is a small sample size but the numbers are still amazing. Since 2018 no player in the league has been targeted more times on 4th down than Boyd's 11. Not only does he have 10 receptions on those 11 targets but every single one of them resulted in a first down. No one else in the league has more than 6 fourth down receptions during that time.

So if you combine 3rd and 4th downs no player in the league has more first down conversions than Tyler Boyd over the last two and a half years.
Reply/Quote
At the beginning of the year i was thinking we may need someone like Chase early in the 2021 Draft, but Tyler has shoun me we already have an Elite WR. With him and the improvement of Tee and Tate I have dubbed the WR corp T-3.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote