Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tyler Boyd - Mr. Reliable

Reply/Quote
The Bengals have an awesome WR trio and Boyd is absolutely worthy of recognition. Burrow has to love the 67 passes without a drop stat.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Per pro football reference, Tyler Boyd this year has the second-highest catch-per-target rate in Bengals history this year for any high-volume wide receiver. Obviously running backs and tight ends tend to get easier targets and are better in that statistic.

Who's first? Tyler Boyd in 2020, by a few tenths of a percentage point.

I grant though that this metric is probably less reliable the further back into the past you reach, and eventually it wasn't tracked at all. It does however place Boyd ahead of other similar players like T.J. Houshmandzadeh.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 03:35 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Per pro football reference, Tyler Boyd this year has the second-highest catch-per-target rate in Bengals history this year for any high-volume wide receiver. Obviously running backs and tight ends tend to get easier targets and are better in that statistic.

Who's first? Tyler Boyd in 2020, by a few tenths of a percentage point.

I grant though that this metric is probably less reliable the further back into the past you reach, and eventually it wasn't tracked at all. It does however place Boyd ahead of other similar players like T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

lets also not forget that the dude is super reliable...never seems to miss any action. 
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 03:49 PM)kalibengal Wrote: lets also not forget that the dude is super reliable...never seems to miss any action. 

The OP didn't call him "Mr. Reliable" for nothin'  Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Define drop.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 04:22 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Define drop.

This is what I was thinking. He has had some drops this year in my opinion. But I'm not sure what they are saying makes up a drop. 

Having said that Tyler Boyd is probably my favorite player. He is very reliable and just comes in and does his job. I don't think I heard anything from him when he had his stretch of not really being targeted early this year although I wasn't a big fan of that. I also really love that we are spreading the ball around on offense and giving all our weapons a chance to make plays.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 04:27 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: This is what I was thinking. He has had some drops this year in my opinion. But I'm not sure what they are saying makes up a drop. 

Having said that Tyler Boyd is probably my favorite player. He is very reliable and just comes in and does his job. I don't think I heard anything from him when he had his stretch of not really being targeted early this year although I wasn't a big fan of that. I also really love that we are spreading the ball around on offense and giving all our weapons a chance to make plays.

This was my thinking as well. Burrow targeted him 94 times and he had 67 catches. That would mean 29% of balls throw to Boyd were uncatchable (which we know is incorrect). Plus, IIRC, I believe Boyd had at least 2 drops in the Chargers game alone? That's why I'm asking for definition.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 04:27 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: This is what I was thinking. He has had some drops this year in my opinion. But I'm not sure what they are saying makes up a drop. 

(01-07-2022, 04:56 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This was my thinking as well. Burrow targeted him 94 times and he had 67 catches. That would mean 29% of balls throw to Boyd were uncatchable (which we know is incorrect). Plus, IIRC, I believe Boyd had at least 2 drops in the Chargers game alone? That's why I'm asking for definition.

He has 0 drops this year.

Passes defensed do not count as drops (IE: they have it in their hands and it gets punched out, like what Vonn Bell did to Hill on Sunday).

I don't remember any drops in SD.

He HAS had 1 drop this year, but that was on a 2Pt Conversion (Denver), which does not go on your receiving stats, thus, he has no drops.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 05:45 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He has 0 drops this year.

Passes defensed do not count as drops (IE: they have it in their hands and it gets punched out, like what Vonn Bell did to Hill on Sunday).

I don't remember any drops in SD.

He HAS had 1 drop this year, but that was on a 2Pt Conversion (Denver), which does not go on your receiving stats, thus, he has no drops.

Okay that makes sense. 
Reply/Quote
He is a Steady Eddie type and its such a luxury to have someone that reliable as the #3 WR.

Have seen posts with people saying he is expendable and that's just plain crazy talk.

When they don't throw the ball to you very often as to find your groove and still have zero drops when they do throw is flat out absurdly good.

Plus the rumor when Tyler got drafted was that the Bengals were beating the steelers to the punch on the Pittsburgh Panther WR.

He is too valuable to let walk and never want to see him go to the steelers and have to face him twice a year either.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
He seems like a great leader from the outside looking in. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him ever since the Dolphins game in 2019 where he literally crawled off the field.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
He's awesome and that's that Joe
Reply/Quote
One of those 67 catches was going to be an interception until Boyd muscled it away from a Steeler DB
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
TB is clutch.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 09:26 PM)jason Wrote: One of those 67 catches was going to be an interception until Boyd muscled it away from a Steeler  DB

And one bounced off the hands of a Viking DB.
Reply/Quote
Pay the man!!!!! Agaaaaaaaaaaaaain!!!!!
Reply/Quote
Since 2018 only 3 players (Keenan Allen, Devonte Adams, and Tyreke Hill) have more catches for first down conversions on 3rd and 4th down than Boyd.

NO ONE has more first down receptions on 4th down than Boyd's 10. Devonte Adams also has 10, but his came on 18 targets compared to Boyds 14. Twenty-two players have at least 10 targets on 4th down since 2018. Among those 22 only one player (Calvin Ridley) has a higher catch percentage than Boyd's 71.4 (10 of 14). Ridley's is 75% (9 of 12) but only 7 of his 9 receptions went for a first down.

Boyd's total yards and receptions don't look as impressive as many other WRs, but none of them have been more clutch over the last 4 years.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 10:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And one bounced off the hands of a Viking DB.

Actually that might be the one I'm thinking of... I think I confused it with Boyd bouncing off a few Steelers defenders, and scoring the first time they played.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The disparity between Boyd at 67 and the next guy at 28 is insane. Idc what anyone says, we have the best WR trio in the league.

Reply/Quote