Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Boyd is a bonafide star
(10-15-2018, 11:36 PM)Goalpost Wrote: That seems realistic.  Players that are older than Green on this club right now?  Harris(LS) 34, Huber 33, Johnson and Rey 31.  That's it.  Green is 30 along with Dalton and Atkins.  

And Atkins just got a big money multi year deal...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 11:44 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: AJ might take a more team friendly deal next time around as well.

Especially if Dalton is still here.

Reply/Quote
Sorry, but AJ Green is a superstar and he has continued to be a Superstar regardless of the talent around him. I don't think Boyd is bad or anything, but I'm not convinced by himself or even with a decent non Green WR with him would he be as impactful. I would sign AJ to at least one more contract before I let him go just to keep Boyd.
Reply/Quote
Love Boyd and hope he has a long career as a Bengal and agree he is under hyped as well.

But need to keep AJ and him or we are right back in same position we were in the last several years.

Plus as sure handed as Boyd has been this year, it is AJ drawing all the attention from DB's.

Defenses scheme to take AJ out of game and yet he still gets his. He needs to stay but invest in some stick-um on rainy days maybe.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 12:27 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Love Boyd and hope he has a long career as a Bengal and agree he is under hyped as well.

But need to keep AJ and him or we are right back in same position we were in the last several years.

Plus as sure handed as Boyd has been this year, it is AJ drawing all the attention from DB's.  

Defenses scheme to take AJ out of game and yet he still gets his. He needs to stay but invest in some stick-um on rainy days maybe.

I'd love to keep both, but I'm not sure it's feasible if Boyd gets 10+ per year. 

Love AJ, but if we keep paying him past 32 and he falls off while Boyd goes elsewhere and excels, it'd be a tough pill to swallow. 

Then again, so would seeing AJ finish up elsewhere. That said, we already had to watch Chad, Dillon, Housh etc finish elsewhere.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I want to see AJ and Geno retire in stripes. Such a rare things these days for a star player to stay with one team their entire career.

Reply/Quote
Another thing that hurts Boyd is that AJ is a beast in the slot. AJ might do a Fitzgerald in a few years and play in the slot full time.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 12:39 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd love to keep both, but I'm not sure it's feasible if Boyd gets 10+ per year. 

Love AJ, but if we keep paying him past 32 and he falls off while Boyd goes elsewhere and excels, it'd be a tough pill to swallow. 

Then again, so would seeing AJ finish up elsewhere. That said, we already had to watch Chad, Dillon, Housh etc finish elsewhere.

It would be tough and it would be Whitworth tough to see AJ leave and not miss a beat. 

But like you said, we have seen it many times before. 

It does bother me though when good guys who are star players as well and do all the right things, never complain are not rewarded back with loyalty. 

Yet do get that it may happen. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The Bengals gave Marvin Jones an offer that would've made him and AJ the highest paid WR duo in the league entering the 2016 season. Jones chose Detroit because he wanted a shot at being a #1. I'm very critical of the front office, but I believe they will dump enough money towards AJ and Boyd. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 12:46 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I want to see AJ and Geno retire in stripes. Such a rare things these days for a star player to stay with one team their entire career.

(10-16-2018, 12:57 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Another thing that hurts Boyd is that AJ is a beast in the slot.  AJ might do a Fitzgerald in a few years and play in the slot full time.

(10-16-2018, 01:09 AM)Go Cards Wrote: It would be tough and it would be Whitworth tough to see AJ leave and not miss a beat. 

But like you said, we have seen it many times before. 

It does bother me though when good guys who are star players as well and do all the right things, never complain are not rewarded back with loyalty. 

Yet do get that it may happen. 

(10-16-2018, 01:09 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The Bengals gave Marvin Jones an offer that would've made him and AJ the highest paid WR duo in the league entering the 2016 season. Jones chose Detroit because he wanted a shot at being a #1. I'm very critical of the front office, but I believe they will dump enough money towards AJ and Boyd. 

All great points. I don't really have a firm opinion, as I see good points to both sides. Just figured this would make for a good topic.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals could get Boyd with short extention like they did Burfict's first contract. As a second round pick Boyd is probably making close to league minimum so if the Bengals offer him a decent signing bonus with a small 2 year extention they could lock him up through 2021 but Boyd would still be young enough to sign a huge contract later if he continues to put up the numbers.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Barring any noticeable drop off from either player I think they finally pony up to pay them both the big bucks . This means someone else has to take the hit somewhere..The other alternative is to hit paydirt next draft on another top receiver.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I remember last year i had boyds pic as my avatar or whatever its called and someone made fun of me lol
Reply/Quote
This is a great question Shake and something I have thought about as well. We just can't lose Boyd. However, Green has to retire in stripes, right? I definitely want to keep both, but it's a tough call if we can only keep 1. If that truly were the case, I'd think you would have to go with youth.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 04:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: In the past, we've had guys like Marvin Jones and Sanu that people tried to hype into stars, but the production never matched. But looking at Boyd's current pace, I'm starting to think he's under-hyped.

After 6 games, he's on pace for:

139 targets
99 catches
1213 yards
11 TDs

Those are elite WR1 numbers. Look at AJ Green's current pace for comparison:

147 targets
88 catches
1317 yards
13 TDs

----------------------

If Boyd keeps this going, it will be tough to resign him. I'd almost think about keeping him over AJ if it came down to choice. Especially considering that Boyd will only be 26 when he comes up for free agency, while AJ Green will be 32. That would be a tough choice. Discuss.

Need to extend Boyd, dude is just what you said, a bonafide star and never thought i would say that.

Clutch with great hands and the will of a Champion. Hard to find these types of players.
Reply/Quote
The best course would be to extend Core right now at least enough so he isn't coming up Free Agent too close to AJ. Makes the contracts easier to do when they are staggered.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 08:47 PM)Joelist Wrote: The best course would be to extend Core right now at least enough so he isn't coming up Free Agent too close to AJ. Makes the contracts easier to do when they are staggered.

I don’t know, I think I’d be against extending Core right about now...

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 08:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t know, I think I’d be against extending Core right about now...

How about Boyd? Core......stupid autocomplete....
Reply/Quote