Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Kroft
I was just curious about Kroft, didnt see him on the field or the inactive list the past couple games, Is he hurt? I know with the way Eifert is playing there's no real need to play him but it would be nice to see both on the field from time to time.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 04:10 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I was just curious about Kroft, didnt see him on the field or the inactive list the past couple games, Is he hurt? I know with the way Eifert is playing there's no real need to play him but it would be nice to see both on the field from time to time.

I know he was lined up at H-back atleast one time Thursday night so he is not injured.

We just don't need him right now with all of our weapons and Hewitt is our H-back.

I hope we don't see much of him cause that would mean one of our weapons goes down.
Reply/Quote
Kroft played a season high 14 snaps on offense against the Browns.
Reply/Quote
Hewitt does NOT get enough love
All he does is PERFORM when his # is called.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 04:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Kroft played a season high 14 snaps on offense against the Browns.

Yeah, i knew i saw him out there...

(11-07-2015, 04:24 PM)Whacked Wrote: Hewitt does NOT get enough love

Damn good H-back no doubt. Had a badass block against Queefland.
Reply/Quote
Kroft was out there a lot. You can see him on Eifert's 2nd TD.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 05:33 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Kroft was out there a lot. You can see him on Eifert's 2nd TD.

Glad to see him getting some game action. Tyler and Tyler, TEs R Us Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
I keep thinking Kroft is going to get some targets, but to their credit, the opposition hasn't forgotten about him like they did Fisher.

I would love to see him get a few grabs and give opposing defenses ANOTHER thing to worry about.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If they try to throw it to him, Eifert will intercept. Hahahaha!

Seriously, he'll get his chance. I'd like to see a couple of catches, too, but there's only one football.
Reply/Quote
When I first saw Kroft play at Rutgers, I was like, this kid is a 12 year old in a 24-year old body. He still has room to grow physically in my opinion. Of course, he's 6-6. Hopefully he can contribute, but for now, anything he gives the Bengals is icing on the cake.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 04:10 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I was just curious about Kroft, didnt see him on the field or the inactive list the past couple games, Is he hurt? I know with the way Eifert is playing there's no real need to play him but it would be nice to see both on the field from time to time.

he comes in one 3 TE sets if Fisher isnt being used as a heavy... But Hewitt is the #2 TE if we arent using him as a FB that play.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 04:24 PM)Whacked Wrote: Hewitt does NOT get enough love

agreed i want to see a few more passes go his way.
Reply/Quote
I had very low expectations for Kroft, but it turns out that my low expectations were way too high. Kroft hasn't recorded one catch so far this season. He's looked okay when he's blocking on the limited snaps he plays.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2015, 05:36 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I had very low expectations for Kroft, but it turns out that my low expectations were way too high. Kroft hasn't recorded one catch so far this season. He's looked okay when he's blocking on the limited snaps he plays.

Every year we always fall for the same trap.  We talk for months about how mid round draft pick X will do this and that...  They never do.  Our first rounders barely play.  We'll be doing it again next year, and we'll be wondering by week 6 if that player is hurt.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2015, 07:55 PM)jason Wrote: Every year we always fall for the same trap.  We talk for months about how mid round draft pick X will do this and that...  They never do.  Our first rounders barely play.  We'll be doing it again next year, and we'll be wondering by week 6 if that player is hurt.

Last year's 4th rounder started every game, and our 2nd round pick was our leading rusher.

Recent First round picks that started as rookies..Zeitler, Green, Gresham, Rivers, Hall, Joseph

Other recent rookies that have started as rookies...Dalton, Bernard, Maualuga, Shipley, Dunlap, Huber

I am really puzzled whenever I see someone repeat this old myth.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2015, 08:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year's 4th rounder started every game, and our 2nd round pick was our leading rusher.

Recent First round picks that started as rookies..Zeitler, Green, Gresham, Rivers, Hall, Joseph

Other recent rookies that have started as rookies...Dalton, Bernard, Maualuga, Shipley, Dunlap, Huber

I am really puzzled whenever I see someone repeat this old myth.

Joseph was drafted a shade under 10 years ago. Not to mention, he was the 3rd corner his rookie year.  The same goes for Hall.  Bernard didn't start until the beginning of last year...  It took Dunlap until 2012 to start his first game, and I don't think Shipley ever did.  Hell, you could have put Geno Atkins and MJ on that list to make your point that much more impressive.  All of them played some snaps.  None were starters.

Yes.  There are exceptions, but you can't pretend that a lot of us don't overstate the contributions our rookies will make every year.  Uzomah, Dawson, Hardison, Alford, and Kroft come to mind this year.  I've hardly noticed any of them since the Colts game.

There was a lot of "Dawson and Burfict are gonna terrify OCs" and "Alford will be the reason Tate finally gets cut".  I'm not saying they are scrubs.  I'm just pointing out that we do that every year.  We'll do it next year too.  I'll bring it to your attention next May - August while it's happening.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2015, 09:09 PM)jason Wrote: Joseph was drafted a shade under 10 years ago. Not to mention, he was the 3rd corner his rookie year.  The same goes for Hall.  Bernard didn't start until the beginning of last year...  It took Dunlap until 2012 to start his first game, and I don't think Shipley ever did.  Hell, you could have put Geno Atkins and MJ on that list to make your point that much more impressive.  All of them played some snaps.  None were starters.

Yes.  There are exceptions, but you can't pretend that a lot of us don't overstate the contributions our rookies will make every year.  Uzomah, Dawson, Hardison, Alford, and Kroft come to mind this year.  I've hardly noticed any of them since the Colts game.

There was a lot of "Dawson and Burfict are gonna terrify OCs" and "Alford will be the reason Tate finally gets cut".  I'm not saying they are scrubs.  I'm just pointing out that we do that every year.  We'll do it next year too.  I'll bring it to your attention next May - August while it's happening.

Joseph started 9 games as a rookie.

Shipley started 4 games as a rookie and had 52 receptions.

Dunlap did not start but he had 9.5 sacks.

Most of our first round picks start their rookie year.  The exception is when they do not start.  To claim that they "barely play" is just not true.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2015, 10:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Most of our first round picks start their rookie year.  The exception is when they do not start.  

[Image: yogi_berra_quote.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think it's fair to wonder "how will Kroft do as the No. 1 TE if Eifert gets hurt" but let's be real -- they're not going to force any patterns/throws "just because" the kid hasn't caught anything or barely plays. They're 8-0 and Eifert is on pace for a historic season. You're not going to take that guy off the field just to let a rookie run a pattern here or there. Now, you could say that will bite them down the line should Eifert go down, and that's fine. But in reality, you don't play the 'what if' game in the moment.

I've only covered the team for seven months but this seems like old hat for the Bengals. In 2015, rookies are purely here for depth. In 2016, that may not be the case depending on which veterans leave for free agency or how good that rookie is.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2015, 09:09 PM)jason Wrote: Yes.  There are exceptions, but you can't pretend that a lot of us don't overstate the contributions our rookies will make every year. 

This stuff is just the fans being silly and/or overly optimistic more than it is a fact of rookies not seeing significant playing time.

There are always people hyping every draft pick on these boards each year, and you're correct that it will absolutely happen again. Some random 5th rounder is going to be compared to Hall of Fame players and called a "beast" by at least a few people on here. People overrating our guys that haven't even seen an NFL field happens, but the coaching staff does play and start rookies if the situation calls for it.

We should just be happy that we don't have to rely on drafting a QB and WR to come in and start again. You usually don't go to the playoffs 4 (almost a lock for 5) straight seasons after you're forced into that type of situation.

You're correct that people overstate the contributions our rookies will make, but Fred is also correct that "our coaching staff doesn't play rookies" is a big ol' myth.
Reply/Quote