Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Shelvin Is Already Impressing Teammates!
(05-21-2021, 02:28 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Billings was OK. I just remember the hype around his size, the fact that he was so young and that he would grow into a monster as he matured.

He remained OK, and my main memories of him are breaking the line and then being unable to catch anyone lol.

Wasn't the hype less about his size and more about that he was a wrestler that is a super weight room warrior (great bencher)?  Also had nice YouTube highlights.  He was okay enough for the Browns to grab him.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 06:20 PM)Yogo Wrote: Wasn't the hype less about his size and more about that he was a wrestler that is a super weight room warrior (great bencher)?  Also had nice YouTube highlights.  He was okay enough for the Browns to grab him.

He did better when Lou didn't drop him into coverage... Just sayin'.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 01:16 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It looks like we may have gotten a steal in the fourth round because Tyler Shelvin is playing like a man amongst boys!

Dude is 6'2, 350 and is apparently moving around like it's nothing and he's impressing all of his teammates!  

It looks like we might have found a steal in the fourth round, which is exciting because didn't we draft another defensive tackle in the fourth round who ended up being dominant and a steal!

Oh, that's right, GENO ATKINS!

I'm loving this because calling for double teams will make our transition to more 3-4 looks even easier and, if we get creative with play calls, we can have a hell of a defense because it will free up other defenders to make plays!

I'm also loving the LSU connection with Burrow and Chase because seeing your guys on the other side of the ball making plays will only get you excited and motivated!

People keep saying we're at least a year away, but this team is starting to excite me and I think we have the youth to make some noise!
Shelvin's game seems more like Reader than Atkins, but yeah LSU North lez go!
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 06:20 PM)Yogo Wrote: Wasn't the hype less about his size and more about that he was a wrestler that is a super weight room warrior (great bencher)?  Also had nice YouTube highlights.  He was okay enough for the Browns to grab him.

yea and then Billings went on COVID leave, so who knows what kind of shape this dude is in now....6-1, 385# maybe whats going on here now
Anyway, thats said...Im much more excited about the Shelvin pick than I was a about Billings.  Speaking of BIG DUDES, wondering what kind of shape Josh Topou is in now...he was already a 350 pounder pre COVID leave.   
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 01:21 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’m tempering expectations. I remember the Billings hype.

I am not going to do it this time around. J/K....

SHELVIN!!!! Rock On

Hey, I put 4 exclamation points in there instead of 3. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 06:23 PM)Yogo Wrote: Shelvin's game seems more like Reader than Atkins, but yeah LSU North lez go!

lol I didn't mean their games, just that they were both drafted in the fourth round.

Atkins is strong but he's more agile.  He used strength and speed to get people off-balance and then throw them aside or bullrush whereas Shelvin just seems like a strictly power guy that will occupy space, push people around, and free-up other defenders.
Reply/Quote
Shelvin could be a great pick, but who knows. Personally I think he will contribute in a few years and transition in a permanent role. He's got a lot of physical skill.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Shelvin is Peko 2.0 that they are going to try to get some pass rush out of after coaching him up.
Reply/Quote
Shelvinator
Reply/Quote
I like Shelvin good value pick he gives the D-line some much needed depth. My realistic expectations is he can rotate in at NT and keep Reader fresh. Shelvin can line up next to Reader on obvious short yard running downs and they can stuff the middle up. I’m not expecting much in the pass rushing department from Shelvin. I’m actually interested to see if Cameron Sample will be used to rush inside like he was at the senior bowl, Sample providing some interior pass rush would be huge.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 02:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yea, for a 4th rounder he had a really solid run here. I think people's expectations are not quite calibrated at times with the reality of how little most draft picks contribute. The other issue is most people don't actually understand a NT's role in most defenses and what he was actually supposed to be doing, and doing well.

Billings is in a long list of guys that I thought were headed for a great career here only to have injuries slow his development early.  

And to your point about the NTs role, that is a part of what excites me most about Shelvin.  With Tupou seemingly fallen out of favor and Wren having multiple injuries, I could see Shelvin allowing Reader to take snaps outside of NT, and I think he could be very effective there as well.  

We talk all the time about "passing downs" being 2nd and long and 3rd and long, but in reality first down is every bit a passing down as well.  If you can have two guys that can force a rush outside or collapse the pocket, and two strong DEs/LBs that can create pressure outside in a pocket where the QB can't just step up in to then you have a fairly formidable pass rush on first down.  

As excited as I am to see this offense that I think can be really impressive if all the pieces are healthy, this season is going to come down to the defense.  I think Shelvin can help his rookie season, and that is a big deal for a fourth rounder that we got by sliding 8 picks in Rd 2.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 02:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yea, for a 4th rounder he had a really solid run here. I think people's expectations are not quite calibrated at times with the reality of how little most draft picks contribute. The other issue is most people don't actually understand a NT's role in most defenses and what he was actually supposed to be doing, and doing well.

Look back at how people used to constantly bash Peko because he was not a sack machine as if that is what his job was within our scheme. They still complained after Zimmer even stated that Peko was one of the best in the league in what he asked his NT to do in his scheme.
Reply/Quote
You all have heard me say it in many other threads.  If Reader and Ogunjobi stay healthy then DT will be by far the most improved position on this team.  We will go from next to nothing there to one of the better duos in the entire league.

But we also know that D-line's need depth.  O-linemen can play every snap, but D-linemen need to be rotated so the best guys only play at most 70-80% of the snaps.  So even though we look to have top quality starters we desperately need guys like Shelvin to step in and contribute immediately.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 02:57 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Shelvin is Peko 2.0 that they are going to try to get some pass rush out of after coaching him up.

I think Shelvin could be even better then Peko honestly.

Peko was GREAT at clogging lanes just like Shelvin is but I think Shelvin as JaMarr said is very aggressive and can beat doubles.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 01:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think Shelvin could be even better then Peko honestly.

Peko was GREAT at clogging lanes just like Shelvin is but I think Shelvin as JaMarr said is very aggressive and can beat doubles.

Peko was VERY underrated here, as I pointed out in many posts on here because people were saying he was horrible because he wasn't putting up big stat numbers, but his job as a NT was to occupy blockers, clog lanes, be stout, and get a little push, which he did well.

I think Shelvin could be much better than Peko because he's a bigger body that will be harder to push around and occupy more blockers, and I think that he could be stronger and get more of a push and, with a little coaching, develop techniques to help him get that push and beat double teams.

I'm VERY excited for what Shelvin will do for our defense!
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 01:35 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Peko was VERY underrated here, as I pointed out in many posts on here because people were saying he was horrible because he wasn't putting up big stat numbers, but his job as a NT was to occupy blockers, clog lanes, be stout, and get a little push, which he did well.

I think Shelvin could be much better than Peko because he's a bigger body that will be harder to push around and occupy more blockers, and I think that he could be stronger and get more of a push and, with a little coaching, develop techniques to help him get that push and beat double teams.

I'm VERY excited for what Shelvin will do for our defense!

I admittedly was called a Peko hater even though I loved the guy off the field as everyone did. Great man and you knew him 
face to face which is really cool. I just thought he needed to do a little more hand fighting in the scrum to free himself up to 
get pressures, but the guy was a great run stopper for us and will always be a great Bengal.

I hope Shelvin can be just as good, it is possible. Shelvin is bigger than Peko but faster and more aggressive. If Tyler can play
smart is still the question. Don't get rubbed off your gap like Billings did all the time early in his career.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 01:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I admittedly was called a Peko hater even though I loved the guy off the field as everyone did. Great man and you knew him 
face to face which is really cool. I just thought he needed to do a little more hand fighting in the scrum to free himself up to 
get pressures, but the guy was a great run stopper for us and will always be a great Bengal.

I hope Shelvin can be just as good, it is possible. Shelvin is bigger than Peko but faster and more aggressive. If Tyler can play
smart is still the question. Don't get rubbed off your gap like Billings did all the time early in his career.

I agree that he could have been better and been a bit more scruffy to free himself up, like you said, but I'm just saying that he wasn't terrible, like many people said, and was actually decent at his job.  Would I have preferred that he freed himself up more to make plays?  Yes, of course, but not many NTs can do that, and he was just good at what he was asked to do.

He was definitely a good guy off the field and was very humble and generous.  He used to buy the kids in our neighborhood all kinds of things and once rented a big bouncy house and invited all the kids over to play in it.  My father helped him skip all the technical stuff to join the country club that his house was on and he always made sure to tell me to tell my dad hi when I saw him at training camp and wherever.

Another thing that I like about Shelvin is that he seems to embrace the role of eating double teams, absorbing space, taking on blocks, and keeping the backers clean, which is what we need from our nose tackle.  Even if we only play him on first and second down, I think that would be best to keep him fresh and just causing a logjam in the middle of the line.  

Shelvin also seems to be excited to be playing with Burrow and Chase, so let's just hope that he can keep his weight in check and stay in shape because I think he could be a hell of a force for us!
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 12:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You all have heard me say it in many other threads.  If Reader and Ogunjobi stay healthy then DT will be by far the most improved position on this team.  We will go from next to nothing there to one of the better duos in the entire league.

But we also know that D-line's need depth.  O-linemen can play every snap, but D-linemen need to be rotated so the best guys only play at most 70-80% of the snaps.  So even though we look to have top quality starters we desperately need guys like Shelvin to step in and contribute immediately.

Since we swapped DTs with Cleveland, is Ogunjobi a side or upgrade from Billings?
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 09:59 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I like Shelvin good value pick he gives the D-line some much needed depth. My realistic expectations is he can rotate in at NT and keep Reader fresh. Shelvin can line up next to Reader on obvious short yard running downs and they can stuff the middle up. I’m not expecting much in the pass rushing department from Shelvin. I’m actually interested to see if Cameron Sample will be used to rush inside like he was at the senior bowl, Sample providing some interior pass rush would be huge.

We was missing depth last year when Tupou opted out no other big bodies to fill in.

Shelvin Reader and Tupou in goal line 1050 pounds in three players. Don't really see them keeping three big guys like that but we do have issues stopping the run need to keep them fresh.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 01:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think Shelvin could be even better then Peko honestly.

I thought Peko was a great player. Lacked at getting sacks but was very good at eating up two blockers and helping stop the run. 

Shelvin seems to play with a nastier attitude then Peko. 
Reply/Quote