Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyrann Mathieu to Saints
Mathieu is signing with the Saints.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 11:43 AM)pally Wrote: Mathieu is signing with the Saints.

Big need for them and they didn't get one in the draft.

Interesting that the Saints were way over the cap before the season and, like the previous year, cleared over 100 million dollars in cap space. That's how they can afford Mathieu. 

Makes we wonder about Baltimore, which failed to get a WR. Lot of WRs still available in free agency, but I can't imagine they have cap space and now have to pay 11 draft picks, including 2 first rounders. But the Saints somehow cleared a huge amount of cap space  by kicking the can down the road.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 12:43 PM)Nepa Wrote: Big need for them and they didn't get one in the draft.

Interesting that the Saints were way over the cap before the season and, like the previous year, cleared over 100 million dollars in cap space. That's how they can afford Mathieu. 

Makes we wonder about Baltimore, which failed to get a WR. Lot of WRs still available in free agency, but I can't imagine they have cap space and now have to pay 11 draft picks, including 2 first rounders. But the Saints somehow cleared a huge amount of cap space  by kicking the can down the road.

It is a bit perplexing and it is going to be interesting seeing Mathieu in a Saints uniform. Going back to Louisiana so I bet the 
Honeybadger is happy. I knew we weren't going after him after our Draft that is for sure. We hedged our bets with Bates by 
adding Dax and Tycen.

But it is weird how some teams with without any cap space can add expensive players like this.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 04:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is a bit perplexing and it is going to be interesting seeing Mathieu in a Saints uniform. Going back to Louisiana so I bet the 
Honeybadger is happy. I knew we weren't going after him after our Draft that is for sure. We hedged our bets with Bates by 
adding Dax and Tycen.

But it is weird how some teams with without any cap space can add expensive players like this.

Saints had -$70m in cap space, cut nobody, signed Winston to 2yr/$28m, signed Marcus Maye to 3yr/$28.5m, signed Honey Badger to 3yr/$33m, and signed a bunch of guys to $1-3m deals.... and somehow still have $19m (minus whatever Mathieu's cap hit is) in cap space this year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote