Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are There Ways Around The Salary Cap?
The Bengals have plenty of legal ways of better navigating the cap that they haven't taken advantage of very often.

1. Cutting aging players with bloated contracts. Peko and Maualuga were finally - mercifully released, but we don't do this as often or as early as we should.

2. Restructuring contracts for declining players. Too often, we let an aged Leon Hall take $9 million. Or Pacman taking $6 million.

These would be good ways for this team to "trim the fat" while adding money that could be used to shore up weaknesses with solid talent via free agency. The problem is that our FO is too loyal and also hates free agency, so we often get stuck with a couple overpaid/underperforming players, while we always have a position that could've used an upgrade. It's just one of the many things I think holds us back.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2017, 12:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Bengals have plenty of legal ways of better navigating the cap that they haven't taken advantage of very often.

1. Cutting aging players with bloated contracts. Peko and Maualuga were finally - mercifully released, but we don't do this as often or as early as we should.

2. Restructuring contracts for declining players. Too often, we let an aged Leon Hall take $9 million. Or Pacman taking $6 million.

These would be good ways for this team to "trim the fat" while adding money that could be used to shore up weaknesses with solid talent via free agency. The problem is that our FO is too loyal and also hates free agency, so we often get stuck with a couple overpaid/underperforming players, while we always have a position that could've used an upgrade. It's just one of the many things I think holds us back.

From watching Mike Brown talk on TV and Hard Knocks he sounds like the nicest person in the world.  I think he is way too close to his players personally.

He doesn't seem to have a problem being cutthroat when it comes to random people as you can see from his shrewd business moves but it seems like when it gets personal he is a softy. Great Human bad NFL owner.
Reply/Quote