Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conway Asks: Why Do You Believe What Trump Says ‘Rather Than What’s in His Heart’?
(01-13-2017, 09:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I won't disagree that it was an effective talking point and campaign, but do you really think political correctness is one of the biggest threats facing our country?
To a point, I think it is. PC and the thing politics in America has devolved into are, IMO, the thing that prevents us from fixing a lot of the legitimate issues that we face as a nation. Instead of worrying about what pronouns to use, instead of worrying about who is offended, instead of calling all Democrats or Republicans deplorable, rapist criminals, how about we all come TOGETHER to solve issues? 
Nope. We, as a nation, are more concerned with being correct in our arguments and proving the other side wrong or at the least, proving the other side are insensitive jerks. Heck, trying to even point out that it's an issue that "both sides" are in the wrong only brings people out trying to prove that the other side is worse. Think about it: what were the main reasons why Trump should not have been president? Most were that he was a racist, sexist, xenophobe, etc. etc. Very few arguments about how his ideas or plans or the actions he's taken as a businessman. And it was basically the same with Hillary.
How many issues would we have right now, if we could just come together and recognize we have different ways of reaching the same goal? Instead of demonizing those different ideas, how about working TOGETHER for the common goal?
I know it's a pipe dream, but still, one can hope.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(01-17-2017, 02:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: To a point, I think it is. PC and the thing politics in America has devolved into are, IMO, the thing that prevents us from fixing a lot of the legitimate issues that we face as a nation. Instead of worrying about what pronouns to use, instead of worrying about who is offended, instead of calling all Democrats or Republicans deplorable, rapist criminals, how about we all come TOGETHER to solve issues? 
Nope. We, as a nation, are more concerned with being correct in our arguments and proving the other side wrong or at the least, proving the other side are insensitive jerks. Heck, trying to even point out that it's an issue that "both sides" are in the wrong only brings people out trying to prove that the other side is worse. Think about it: what were the main reasons why Trump should not have been president? Most were that he was a racist, sexist, xenophobe, etc. etc. Very few arguments about how his ideas or plans or the actions he's taken as a businessman. And it was basically the same with Hillary.
How many issues would we have right now, if we could just come together and recognize we have different ways of reaching the same goal? Instead of demonizing those different ideas, how about working TOGETHER for the common goal?
I know it's a pipe dream, but still, one can hope.

I appreciate your input. Although we don't always agree on things, I think you're a pretty rational poster.

But I would disagree here, on two fronts.

For starters, most of the criticism I heard of Trump revolved around his actions as a business person or ideas that are insane or not going to happen because he doesn't have that authority (I'm going to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it; universal healthcare; I'll make Congress pass term limits). He ran his business by abusing the government (and taking advantage of foreign regulations, too) and capitalizing off outsourcing. That's not inspiring much confidence in me for him to fix the system he's profited off of.

Those complaints that were personal — racist (which I disagree, I don't think he is), sexist, xenophobic — still aren't off the table because of the job. POTUS isn't just hanging out in Congress and passing yourself raises or being Governor and sitting at all the college basketball games. It's being representative of the country to other foreign leaders representing their country.

I would like to see people come together for a common goal. I just don't think being the most divisive person is the best way to get there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I'm laughing so hard at all of you. Such misplaced anger.

I'm more upset with Streep using the typical Hollywood stereo types to portray disabled people as weak, pitiable, pathetic and incapable of having any intellectuality.

Kovaleski is an award winning Pulitzer Prize journalist and he has a platform with which to defend himself with if he chooses to.

What Trump did was meh, but I don't think he was trying to make fun of a disabled person, he was acting like he was backtracking from being caught in a lie and didn't know what to say, which is what actually happened in his story at that moment.
(01-17-2017, 04:25 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm laughing so hard at all of you. Such misplaced anger.

I'm more upset with Streep using the typical Hollywood stereo types to portray disabled people as weak, pitiable, pathetic and incapable of having any intellectuality.

Kovaleski is an award winning Pulitzer Prize journalist and he has a platform with which to defend himself with if he chooses to.

What Trump did was meh, but I don't think he was trying to make fun of a disabled person, he was acting like he was backtracking from being caught in a lie and didn't know what to say, which is what actually happened in his story at that moment.

Mellow

She never said that at all.

Quote:There was one performance this year that stunned me. It sank its hooks in my heart. Not because it was good. There was nothing good about it. But it was effective and it did its job. It made its intended audience laugh and show their teeth. It was that moment when the person asking to sit in the most respected seat in our country imitated a disabled reporter, someone he outranked in privilege, power, and the capacity to fight back. It kind of broke my heart when I saw it. I still can't get it out of my head because it wasn't in a movie. It was real life.

And this instinct to humiliate, when it's modeled by someone in the public platform, by someone powerful, it filters down into everybody's life, because it kind of gives permission for other people to do the same thing. Disrespect invites disrespect. Violence incites violence. When the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose.

You're projecting.

She said it was said and stunning to see someone who wanted to have the powerful job in the land mock a disabled person.

Beyond that Trump was wrong/lying about the reporter "backtracking" too.  

But you can ignore that because you got the vapors over a citizen speaking out against the President mocking another citizen just because she had a camera on her and her words went to millions of people.

Rock On
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-17-2017, 05:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

She never said that at all.

You're projecting.

She said it was said and stunning to see someone who wanted to have the powerful job in the land mock a disabled person.

Beyond that Trump was wrong/lying about the reporter "backtracking" too.  

But you can ignore that because you got the vapors over a citizen speaking out against the President mocking another citizen just because she had a camera on her and her words went to millions of people.

Rock On

Projecting? I'm not the one that referred to Kovaleski as a handicapped person incapable of defending himself against Trump.

At the time, Trump was not the POTUS, so he didn't hold as much power as Streep leads you to believe.

Trump did the same thing in a speech about Cruz (he's not disabled) and a couple of other speeches. It's just how Trump acts when he's acting like someone flustered and we all agree that Trump is not a good actor.
But, hey, keep on believing that MSM, they would never mislead you now would they? Muslims in NJ never celebrated the fall of the Twin Towers right?  Sarcasm
(01-17-2017, 08:32 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Projecting? I'm not the one that referred to Kovaleski as a handicapped person incapable of defending himself against Trump.

At the time, Trump was not the POTUS, so he didn't hold as much power as Streep leads you to believe.

Trump did the same thing in a speech about Cruz (he's not disabled) and a couple of other speeches. It's just how Trump acts when he's acting like someone flustered and we all agree that Trump is not a good actor.
But, hey, keep on believing that MSM, they would never mislead you now would they? Muslims in NJ never celebrated the fall of the Twin Towers right?  Sarcasm

Sure, we agree that Trump mocks everyone...because he's a small minded, thin skinned, manchild.

However he has a lot more power than the reporter than he did over Cruz for example.  Denying that is just more deflection but people "not defending" Trump.

But hey, keep making up things that were never said to defend excuse explain what happened to yourself.

Rock On
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.