Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UGH
FOUR games in London, next season!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000981494/article/nfl-to-play-four-games-in-london-during-19-season
Reply/Quote
With our crap attendance, you'd have to think we are in the running for one of the three games not lost by the Jags.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 12:42 PM)Tomkat Wrote: FOUR games in London, next season!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000981494/article/nfl-to-play-four-games-in-london-during-19-season

I really don't know where they are planning to go with this.   I suppose they could slowly create a European league to have a Super Duper Bowl after the Super Bowl.   But it will be really difficult to do any complete sort of inter-league play.

It just seems stupid.   I mean they love it in London, but if I'm the NFLPA I'm saying "you need to shut this down now".   The stress and expense of sending teams across the pond has to be pretty extreme.

Then you have people who need to get up at the crack of dawn if they want to watch their team live.

I mean the League has to be making money, and probably adding at least British TV revenue, but overall it just seems like an unnecessary burden on the players.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 10:58 AM)3wt Wrote: I really don't know where they are planning to go with this.   I suppose they could slowly create a European league to have a Super Duper Bowl after the Super Bowl.   But it will be really difficult to do any complete sort of inter-league play.

It just seems stupid.   I mean they love it in London, but if I'm the NFLPA I'm saying "you need to shut this down now".   The stress and expense of sending teams across the pond has to be pretty extreme.

Then you have people who need to get up at the crack of dawn if they want to watch their team live.

I mean the League has to be making money, and probably adding at least British TV revenue, but overall it just seems like an unnecessary burden on the players.

I agree completely. Look at the West Coast teams. It plays here like 9am. That would 6am on the West Coast. How fair is it to make your fans here have to get up early or record it just to see a game that they're fans of. Why inconvenience the true fans over some people that may never be fans on the other side of the ocean?
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 04:31 PM)Captain Obvious Wrote: I agree completely. Look at the West Coast teams. It plays here like 9am. That would 6am on the West Coast. How fair is it to make your fans here have to get up early or record it just to see a game that they're fans of. Why inconvenience the true fans over some people that may never be fans on the other side of the ocean?

Right

The NFL is never going to truly take off over there. They'll come for a couple years because of the novelty now then it's going to flame out. They don't have any base, the don't play football in school over there. There's no (or very little) ? college or semi pro football over there. It's just never going to work long term.

The NFL badly needs to drop the whole London thing and TNF, they're both dumb.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 06:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right

The NFL is never going to truly take off over there. They'll come for a couple years because of the novelty now then it's going to flame out. They don't have any base, the don't play football in school over there. There's no (or very little) ? college or semi pro football over there. It's just never going to work long term.

They've been playing games there since 2007 and attendance is going up, not down. 
https://www.newsweek.com/nfl-london-games-record-highest-ever-average-attendance-british-franchise-1193447

There's a lot more American Football leagues over there than you realize. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_football_leagues_in_Europe

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 06:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right

I agree about dropping it over there. It's not like an NFL team over there would work out. They can start their own league if they want one. Traveling back and forth would be too time consuming and draining on the players. It's different if they wanted to have it in Mexico or Canada because they're a lot closer and in our time zones, but I'd rather just keep the NFL an American thing.
Reply/Quote