Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
US Inability to Count Votes is a National Disgrace. And Dangerous.
(11-04-2020, 07:33 PM)hollodero Wrote: I have to say, I feel when it comes to national disgraces, the counting process is not far up the list.

E.g. it gets already beaten by a president constantly declaring voter fraud and propagating dark conspiracies and demanding the count to be stopped when he is ahead.

Or say the Trump twitter feed. THIS is a disgrace of unspeakable terms. Your elections are just weird.

Aren't all those things related?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Maybe I'm just too hard on the guy, but I can't help but picture Trump behind his waves of security tweeting unsubstantiated BS for his own gains that is putting citizens who are volunteering to see that America's right to vote are upheld at risk.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 03:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe I'm just too hard on the guy, but I can't help but picture Trump behind his waves of security tweeting unsubstantiated BS for his own gains that is putting citizens who are volunteering to see that America's right to vote are upheld at risk.

Like vote counters or something?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Not to toot our horn but this is the voting process in Canada:

1. Simply note on your income tax return that you wish to be registered to vote. Done. You NEVER have to register or jump through any hoops, ever again for the rest of your life.

If you do not fill this out, you can register on the day of voting, by showing a piece of ID and an official letter (CC bill, utility bill, etc.), to confirm your address. You're registered. You NEVER have to register or jump through any hoops, ever again for the rest of your life.

I also lived in 2 provinces and so long as your address is updated with the government, you're good.

2. Show up to the voting station. Confirm your identity. You're given a voter card in the mail, but if you don't get it or misplace it, you can still just show up.

3. Take your ballot behind a box, mark it off in pen.

4. Hand back to the pollster, they then shove it into a machine and the vote gets counted, right then and there, IN FRONT OF YOU, so that nothing shady goes down.

5. Hard copy is kept in case of an error.

6. Leave the voting station, feeling good.

This has been the process at the Federal and Provincial level, since 2011 (and possibly even earlier; 2007 was my first time voting and can't quite remember) and our elections have not only gone off without a hitch, but we've known the results of the ENTIRE COUNTRY (I'm talking every single riding from coast to coast to coast), at 12:00 am, EST (generally, due to projections and the like, we know the winner much before).

Why the US can't switch to a model like this, I have no idea; the mail-in votes would STILL be counted on time, even with the State legislation in place, currently.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 03:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Like vote counters or something?

Yes.  Hopefully nothing happens, but when the president is telling people that our entire democracy and their rights are being taken away from them the potential for violence is there.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 04:02 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not to toot our horn but this is the voting process in Canada:

1. Simply note on your income tax return that you wish to be registered to vote. Done. You NEVER have to register or jump through any hoops, ever again for the rest of your life.

If you do not fill this out, you can register on the day of voting, by showing a piece of ID and an official letter (CC bill, utility bill, etc.), to confirm your address. You're registered. You NEVER have to register or jump through any hoops, ever again for the rest of your life.

I also lived in 2 provinces and so long as your address is updated with the government, you're good.

2. Show up to the voting station. Confirm your identity. You're given a voter card in the mail, but if you don't get it or misplace it, you can still just show up.

4. Hand back to the pollster, they then shove it into a machine and the vote gets counted, right then and there, IN FRONT OF YOU, so that nothing shady goes down.

This has been the process at the Federal and Provincial level, since 2011 (and possibly even earlier; 2007 was my first time voting and can't quite remember) and our elections have not only gone off without a hitch, but we've known the results of the ENTIRE COUNTRY (I'm talking every single riding from coast to coast to coast), at 12:00 am, EST (generally, due to projections and the like, we know the winner much before).

Why the US can't switch to a model like this, I have no idea; the mail-in votes would STILL be counted on time, even with the State legislation in place, currently.

You have like 1200 people. Our votes are counted the same way. In a machine and counted. Once you register you’re good as long as you vote every four years or something. I think you re-register when you move though. Or send a change of address.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 04:07 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You have like 1200 people. Our votes are counted the same way. In a machine and counted. Once you register you’re good as long as you vote every four years or something. I think you re-register when you move though. Or send a change of address.

40,000,000 (yes, 10% of you guys), but yeah, I know we have a much smaller population.

Still doesn't change the fact that the whole process for you guys is (almost) ass-backwards; the registering thing is just beyond stupid, way too much paperwork and admin and is baffling that the process hasn't changed.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 04:10 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 40,000,000 (yes, 10% of you guys), but yeah, I know we have a much smaller population.

Still doesn't change the fact that the whole process for you guys is (almost) ass-backwards; the registering thing is just beyond stupid, way too much paperwork and admin and is baffling that the process hasn't changed.

Registering is much simpler. You can do it when you get you drivers license renewed. It’s really not complicated. 18 year olds figure it out all the time.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 04:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yes.  Hopefully nothing happens, but when the president is telling people that our entire democracy and their rights are being taken away from them the potential for violence is there.

Well to be fair we were told that about Trump as well.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 04:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well to be fair we were told that about Trump as well.

I'm not sure what you're specifically referring to, but Trump is claiming fraud while people who are in publicly known locations are going through the process.  Maybe it's nothing, hopefully it's nothing.  I can't say I'd be calm if someone I knew and cared about were in one of those buildings counting swing state votes, that's all.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 04:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well to be fair we were told that about Trump as well.

We weren't just "told" about Trump.

Trump accusations have generally followed an accumulation of evidence.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 04:10 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 40,000,000 (yes, 10% of you guys), but yeah, I know we have a much smaller population.

Still doesn't change the fact that the whole process for you guys is (almost) ass-backwards; the registering thing is just beyond stupid, way too much paperwork and admin and is baffling that the process hasn't changed
Big problem is that it's 50 different rules for 50 different states. My wife actually got naturalized on Tuesday, and was able to register and vote later the same day without a headache. I'm sure that wouldn't be the case in most other states. 
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 04:02 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not to toot our horn but this is the voting process in Canada:

Yeah that would make things a bit easier for sure. However the bolded part would be decried as racist and holding people back from voting. Whole different animal down here when it comes to showing ID in the realm of voting due to one side of the political spectrum.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote

But we got real bacon so that evens it out.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 04:20 PM)Dill Wrote: We weren't just "told" about Trump.

Trump accusations have generally followed an accumulation of evidence.

I think you missed the point.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 04:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not sure what you're specifically referring to, but Trump is claiming fraud while people who are in publicly known locations are going through the process.  Maybe it's nothing, hopefully it's nothing.  I can't say I'd be calm if someone I knew and cared about were in one of those buildings counting swing state votes, that's all.

Telling people our entire democracy and their right are being taken away.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 04:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Telling people our entire democracy and their right are being taken away.

I get what you are saying, but this seems a lot more specific, targeted at certain people, and directly from the president, and all.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 04:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But we got real bacon so that evens it out.

Hold on a minute... do you guys actually think we DON'T have belly bacon here in Canada?

I can assure you, not only have I eaten the good stuff since I was like 2, my ratio of belly bacon to Peameal eaten in my life, is literally 98.9:1.1 or something.

It's very hard to find Peameal at any restaurant and can really only be obtained at grocery stores.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 04:34 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I think you missed the point.

Not unlikely.

:whiteflag:
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2020, 04:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But we got real bacon so that evens it out.
Oh crap. You said the "B" word. Chaos to ensue! Sad
Reply/Quote