Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US airstrikes on Iranian backed militia in Syria
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2021-02-25/exclusive-us-carries-out-airstrike-against-iranian-backed-militia-target-in-syria-officials

More in the link

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden on Thursday directed U.S. military airstrikes in eastern Syria against facilities belonging to what the Pentagon said were Iran-backed militia, in a calibrated response to rocket attacks against U.S. targets in Iraq.

The strikes, which were first reported by Reuters, appeared to be limited in scope, potentially lowering the risk of escalation.

Biden's decision to strike only in Syria and not in Iraq, at least for now, also gives the Iraqi government some breathing room as it carries out its own investigation of a Feb. 15 attack that wounded Americans.

"At President (Joe) Biden’s direction, U.S. military forces earlier this evening conducted airstrikes against infrastructure utilized by Iranian-backed militant groups in eastern Syria," Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said in a statement.

"President Biden will act to protect American and Coalition personnel. At the same time, we have acted in a deliberate manner that aims to de-escalate the overall situation in both eastern Syria and Iraq," Kirby said.

He added that the strikes destroyed multiple facilities at a border control point used by a number of Iranian-backed militant groups, including Kata'ib Hezbollah (KH) and Kata'ib Sayyid al-Shuhada (KSS).

A U.S. official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the decision to carry out these strikes was meant to send a signal that while the United States wanted to punish the militias, it did not want the situation to spiral into a bigger conflict.

The official added that Biden was presented with a range of options and one of the most limited responses was chosen.

It was not immediately clear what damage was caused and if there were any casualties from the U.S. strike.

Retaliatory U.S. military strikes have occurred a number of times in the past few years.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I'm pleased Biden reacted, but Iran tends to respond best to US leaders who don't put up with any of their bullshit. I suppose we'll see if this was enough or the kind of damage Iran sees as a weak response.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2021, 12:17 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm pleased Biden reacted, but Iran tends to respond best to US leaders who don't put up with any of their bullshit. 

The Obama administration got them to limit their enrichment levels of uranium in order to limit it to medical like uses instead of weapons grade.  The Trump administration couldn't.

The Obama administration was able to do this by using diplomacy and getting dozens of our allies to work with us regarding economic sanctions.  That is much more effective than a few meaningless missile strikes.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2021, 03:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Obama administration got them to limit their enrichment levels of plutonium in order to limit it to medical like uses instead of weapons grade.  The Trump administration couldn't.

The Obama administration was able to do this by using diplomacy and getting dozens of our allies to work with us regarding economic sanctions.  That is much more effective than a few meaningless missile strikes.

You honestly believe that ? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2021, 11:20 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: You honestly believe that ? 

Do you have evidence to the contrary? I could be wrong but the Trump administration, and Israel (and their mouthpieces/ apologists) are the only ones I've seen claim otherwise.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2021, 11:25 AM)jason Wrote: Do you have evidence to the contrary? I could be wrong but the Trump administration, and Israel (and their mouthpieces/ apologists) are the only ones I've seen claim otherwise.

No, I can't reach into my pocket & pull out direct evidence. 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2021, 11:32 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: No, I can't reach into my pocket & pull out direct evidence. 

So you just blindly believe whatever you want?
Reply/Quote
Medical like uses ???

Probably what they did with all those pallets of cash.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2021, 11:32 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: No, I can't reach into my pocket & pull out direct evidence. 

The thing with Iran bugs me, and I get it... They took US citizens hostage when I was a kid. I don't like the Iranian government. I'm not defending them in any way. I just don't see them as any more of a boogeyman in that region than Saudi Arabia. The Saudis are OUR boogeyman (who represent none of our ideals), so they're ok.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2021, 11:47 AM)jason Wrote: The thing with Iran bugs me, and I get it... They took US citizens hostage when I was a kid. I don't like the Iranian government. I'm not defending them in any way. I just don't see them as any more of a boogeyman in that region than Saudi Arabia. The Saudis are OUR boogeyman (who represent none of our ideals), so they're ok.

I certainly don't claim to be an expert on Iran but I don't believe they have nothing but good intentions with their nuclear program either. 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2021, 11:58 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I certainly don't claim to be an expert on Iran but I don't believe they have nothing but good intentions with their nuclear program either. 

They just want nukes because Israel has them.

But the fact is they know they would never be able to win any sort of nuclear conflict.  It is all just a game these small countries play.

BY using economic sanctions from dozens of the largest countries in the world the Obama administration was able to create a situation where they were forced to comply with limits on on their uranium enrichment.  They did not like it, but they were forced to comply.  then when Trump pulled out of the deal the Iranians went back to enriching uranium closer to weapon grade.  now they want to go back to the old deal, but they are insisting that the US lift their sanctions before they comply while Biden says they have to comply before we lift the sanctions.  It will eventually get worked out, but right now both countries are just playing a game of public relations.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2021, 11:47 AM)jason Wrote: The thing with Iran bugs me, and I get it... They took US citizens hostage when I was a kid. I don't like the Iranian government. I'm not defending them in any way. I just don't see them as any more of a boogeyman in that region than Saudi Arabia. The Saudis are OUR boogeyman (who represent none of our ideals), so they're ok.

Saudi Arabia is not trying to acquire nuclear weapons.  Iran is a known bad actor in the region, they sponsor terrorists in many countries.  They are a militant theocracy that are convinced anyone who doesn't adhere to their religious principles are heretics who deserve a dark fate.  You're a smart man, there's zero chance you don't see the danger in a regime like this having nuclear weapons.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2021, 02:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Saudi Arabia is not trying to acquire nuclear weapons.  Iran is a known bad actor in the region, they sponsor terrorists in many countries.  They are a militant theocracy that are convinced anyone who doesn't adhere to their religious principles are heretics who deserve a dark fate.  You're a smart man, there's zero chance you don't see the danger in a regime like this having nuclear weapons.

I don't want them having nuclear weapons. I wasn't thrilled when India and Pakistan made the breakthrough in the 90s... Especially with their history. But I've seen no evidence that Iran wasn't in compliance with the international deal from 2015 (I think it was). I'd rather have someone watching over them, than to tear it up outta spite for the person who helped broker it... because it'd been a "disaster". It's pure speculation, but I can't help but wonder if the Saudis wouldn't be trying to become a nuclear power but for us being in their corner. It may not be state sponsored, but the Kingdom's style of governance has produced it's share of terrorists from the peninsula too.

It's a repressive and shitty neck of the woods over there, and I feel for the people who inhabit it... I've met several extremely cool people from Jordan, Israeli occupied areas, and Kuwait over the years.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2021, 02:35 PM)jason Wrote: I don't want them having nuclear weapons. I wasn't thrilled when India and Pakistan made the breakthrough in the 90s... Especially with their history. But I've seen no evidence that Iran wasn't in compliance with the international deal from 2015 (I think it was). I'd rather have someone watching over them, than to tear it up outta spite for the person who helped broker it... because it'd been a "disaster". It's pure speculation, but I can't help but wonder if the Saudis wouldn't be trying to become a nuclear power but for us being in their corner. It may not be state sponsored, but the Kingdom's style of governance has produced it's share of terrorists from the peninsula too.

I have zero doubt Saudi Arabia doesn't try and get nukes because of that very reason.  It's not really their government that produces terorists though, it's Wahabism, a particularly violent and intolerant strain if Islam that absolutely originate in SA.

Quote:It's a repressive and shitty neck of the woods over there, and I feel for the people who inhabit it... I've met several extremely cool people from Jordan, Israeli occupied areas, and Kuwait over the years.

To be sure.  Unfortunately there appear to be far more people who happily buy into the regimes there, for various reasons, than is healthy.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2021, 03:04 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have zero doubt Saudi Arabia doesn't try and get nukes because of that very reason.  It's not really their government that produces terorists though, it's Wahabism, a particularly violent and intolerant strain if Islam that absolutely originate in SA.

And is the state sanctioned strain of Islam. Were it not for it being promoted and propagated by the Saudi regime, Wahabism would not have had the reach it had.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2021, 03:04 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have zero doubt Saudi Arabia doesn't try and get nukes because of that very reason.  It's not really their government that produces terorists though, it's Wahabism, a particularly violent and intolerant strain if Islam that absolutely originate in SA.

That's a bit of a simplification, though, as the government is filled with followers. That's like saying the westboro baptist church doesn't commit horrible acts, it's just zealots who do.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2021, 02:35 PM)jason Wrote: I don't want them having nuclear weapons. I wasn't thrilled when India and Pakistan made the breakthrough in the 90s... Especially with their history. But I've seen no evidence that Iran wasn't in compliance with the international deal from 2015 (I think it was). I'd rather have someone watching over them, than to tear it up outta spite for the person who helped broker it... because it'd been a "disaster". It's pure speculation, but I can't help but wonder if the Saudis wouldn't be trying to become a nuclear power but for us being in their corner. It may not be state sponsored, but the Kingdom's style of governance has produced it's share of terrorists from the peninsula too.

It's a repressive and shitty neck of the woods over there, and I feel for the people who inhabit it... I've met several extremely cool people from Jordan, Israeli occupied areas, and Kuwait over the years.

There is no evidence they weren't in compliance.  But plenty of evidence that they were--because international inspectors could inspect.

My biggest problem with breaking up the Iran deal was the damage to the diplomatic architecture binding five countries and the EU, and the stability that promised--not just in the Middle East. (US politicians who disliked the Iran Deal tended to be the ones who thought Trump's NK Summitry was a "historical breakthrough" which neither Obama nor Bush could "achieve.")

Amazing that the U.S. got its adversaries, China and Russia and Iran, to agree to a deal that every player thought would work to his advantage. Renault in France was able to add thousands of jobs in prep for the opening Iranian Market, etc. Then suddenly GONE!  Thank you U.S.

Now trust in the U.S. is blown up. Iran and our allies see Biden is stable, but the Trump base is still active and angry, and who knows what will happen in four years? 70 years of cred down the drain.

Worst of all, with the Iran Deal the moderates in Iran had won a great victory over their hard right. The emerging economic prosperity, had it continued over the last four years, would have validated their leadership. Now they are just the stupid goats who trusted the great Satan. Very hard now to get them back into the Deal.

And I am not happy that Biden is behaving as if Iran, not the U.S., had broken the deal, setting conditions they have to meet to get everyone back on board. Americans have difficulty recognizing when their country is the bad actor.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 05:05 AM)Dill Wrote: And I am not happy that Biden is behaving as if Iran, not the U.S., had broken the deal, setting conditions they have to meet to get everyone back on board. Americans have difficulty recognizing when their country is the bad actor.

Whether the US was wrong or not (and let's say for the sake of argument you're 100% correct) Iran's subsequent behavior cannot be ignored.  They are a state sponsor of terrorism.  They routinely kill civilians through their state backed militias.  They engage in piracy and kidnapping.  Ignoring that behavior is enabling that behavior.  
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 11:24 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Whether the US was wrong or not (and let's say for the sake of argument you're 100% correct) Iran's subsequent behavior cannot be ignored.  They are a state sponsor of terrorism.  They routinely kill civilians through their state backed militias.  They engage in piracy and kidnapping.  Ignoring that behavior is enabling that behavior.  

I don't know of anyone who was ignoring that behavior.  That is just a speaking point from the right-wing echo chamber.  the truth is that the Obama administration continued to have some economic sanctions against Iran AFTER the JCPOA went into effect.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 05:05 AM)Dill Wrote: Worst of all, with the Iran Deal the moderates in Iran had won a great victory over their hard right. The emerging economic prosperity, had it continued over the last four years, would have validated their leadership. Now they are just the stupid goats who trusted the great Satan. Very hard now to get them back into the Deal.

This.  Rep.

Also many of the other countries involved in the coalition that forced the agreement had stronger trade relations with Iran than the US.  So the sanctions were hurting the economy of these countries more than us.   The suffered more than us in order to get the deal in place and then Trump just blew it all up.

So it will be harder for us to accomplish goals through diplomacy in the future.
Reply/Quote