Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit...
(02-27-2020, 12:36 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: This could be posturing for the upcoming draft or straight talk because the OL showed some improvement the last few games.  

If it is straight talk, then the coaching staff's evaluation of the OL worries me once again.  I say this because Tobin justified signing Hart.  It is like they settle for below average as ok.  As far as I remember, none of the OL players ranked very high using PFF ratings.  I simply cannot understand the blind eye to OL, especially with a likely new QB this draft.  Ugh!.    Shocked

I think the Bengals would be foolish to say anything else.  The draft is coming, FA is coming so why tip their hands on their priorities?  Giving away useful information for free is no way to run a NFL team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Too early to panic Psych, we all know we need at least a Guard in FA where we were terrible last season.

There are plenty of good Guards to grab in FA. Thuney, Glasgow, Scherff, Fieler etc.

Brian Callahan actually sounds like a smart dude listening to him, he coached Peyton and Stafford.

He doesn't want Burrow to get killed.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 02:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: With Fred Johnson showing what a stable left tackle can do for an offense (suddenly able to score 30+ per game when he played majority of the snaps there), and Jonah returning I am more OK with the Oline then I was last year at this time.

It's a gamble tho to go into the year with the same players. The youth and potential is there. I'd at least like to see a guard signed in FA with Miller having injury issues and Price not looking like a good fill in.

And slam me if you must, but Hart did improve. Now did he go from terrible to average.....maybe and that's not enough to solidify the RT spot, and maybe. But he did improve.

I agree on Hart. Nobody saying he the greatest, but if you saw him when he played with the Giants up till last season, he's actually gotten better every year. Again not saying, vote him to the pro bowl or he shouldn't be replaced, just saying he has steadily gotten better. 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 03:32 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I agree on Hart. Nobody saying he the greatest, but if you saw him when he played with the Giants up till last season, he's actually gotten better every year. Again not saying, vote him to the pro bowl or he shouldn't be replaced, just saying he has steadily gotten better. 

True, Hart is not nearly as bad as some say. I just want to be great at both Tackle spots.

I think Jonah can be great, Hart could be a great back up.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 12:43 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: "If we can find better, we'll get better. 

I'll focus on this line right here. 

If they can't find better, they weren't looking. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 12:43 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Here is a quote:

_Offensive coordinator Brian Callahan is looking at upgrading the offensive line. But he also has no problem with an Opening Day lineup (from left to right) of Jonah Williams, Michael Jordan, Trey Hopkins, John Miller and Bobby Hart.

"Yeah, I feel very good about those guys," Callahan said here Wednesday morning. "Do I think there's room for improvement? Absolutely. If we can find better, we'll get better. Do I think we're in terrible shape? Not at all. I think we have good, young talent we're excited about. The jump Mike Jordan and Fred Johnson could make, we're counting on it. Put in a year with off-season training, and strength playing a factor and being comfortable in the system for an entire offseason and training camp and we're counting on those guys to step up."

Freakout

When I hear the sound of a cow mooing, I usually start watching where I'm stepping...lol..

Ts, getting Jonah in the fold is like having an extra first round LT coming onboard. Plus, Jordan and Johnson did improve. Mixon was beast, but the run numbers vastly improved down the stretch. An early tackle or guard is inevitable, and I think that group will be trending up.

Price needs to rededicate and play up to his potential. I think he does, it's contract time. Hopkins is trending upwards.
I've never been sold on Hart, but I'm not an oline aficionado.

A healthy AJ Green solves a shit ton of problems on offense. A sign and trade for Trent Williams involving Cordy and Andy might be feasible? I'm not sure, but it might be possible?
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 11:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: His fellow NFL members voted him to the Pro Bowl.

He was more effective than a lot of fans give him credit for.

When our defense was among the best in the league a few years ago we had a deep rotation on the D-line. Geno and Dunlap both played fewer snaps back then.

I didn't say he wasn't a good player, but that he was about 50% as effective.  More effective than we gave him credit for?  Not so sure here...one of the worst defenses of all time and he was a starter.  
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 10:52 AM)pally Wrote: Geno is going to be 32 and last year had the most snaps of his career with some of the worst sack production.  I took it to mean they want to get back to his normal number of snaps.  He couldn't rest at all last season because of all the injuries on the DL.   That becomes an even bigger load when you think about all the times Geno is double-teamed.  If giving him 6 or 7 fewer snaps per game makes him more productive, I'm all for it

This....is exactly right.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Chiefs line was nothing special. Texans line was a dumpster fire besides for Tunsil and according Texans fans he was just ok. A franchise QB can cover alot of warts. The opposing offense may feel they need a score every time they touch it. Then pass rushers get to eat. A franchise QB cures many ails
Reply/Quote
Well, if this corona virus keeps getting out of hand, we may not even to get to see Burrow on the field this season. Sad
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 11:09 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Well, if this corona virus keeps getting out of hand, we may not even to get to see Burrow on the field this season. Sad

Pffft.... the regular flu has a higher mortality rate than the Corona virus. It's over hyped....... basically the Cleveland Browns of viruses.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 12:36 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: This could be posturing for the upcoming draft or straight talk because the OL showed some improvement the last few games.  

If it is straight talk, then the coaching staff's evaluation of the OL worries me once again.  I say this because Tobin justified signing Hart.  It is like they settle for below average as ok.  As far as I remember, none of the OL players ranked very high using PFF ratings.  I simply cannot understand the blind eye to OL, especially with a likely new QB this draft.  Ugh!.    Shocked

When you have to operate within a certain budget, sometimes you have to settle for below-average talent.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 12:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: When you have to operate within a certain budget, sometimes you have to settle for below-average talent.

I think the swing and miss of OL under Paul Alexander hurt, but you cannot blame Alexander for the swing and miss with Price under Pollack.  Bengals signed Glenn who had attitude trouble, Boiling who retired.  Westerman is a mystery.  Perkins Retired.  

Bengals have to do better.  Maybe expand OL scouting arm of the tiny draft war room... They have to do something.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Looks like Johnson FA add allows Bengals to feel confident letting Glenn and his big salary walk.

I know fans love to trash the FO, but adding Johnson (also plays guard from teh Steelers) looks like a very good roster move. Give the FO soe credit, guy is low risk and looks like has great potential + stole him for nothing from our rival.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 01:36 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: Did you expect Callahan to say something like this "The guys we have on the squad right now for the O-Line are shit, except for Williams but who knows what he's like as he is injury prone!!!
I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw Jonah Williams. If we start the season with these guys Burrow (if we sign him) or any other QB that starts is going to get killed. Unless we get players that are a huge upgrade on the shit we have right now, there is no point in even turning up for the first game"

Yeah that would have went down well with anyone that may still be on the roster going into the first game.

No, but I think a simple "we're always looking to improve" would've sufficed...and leave it at that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: No, but I think a simple "we're always looking to improve" would've sufficed...and leave it at that.

He did, He said exactly that.
during the interview he said "Do I think there's room for improvement? Absolutely. If we can find better, we'll get better"
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 01:05 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think the swing and miss of OL under Paul Alexander hurt, but you cannot blame Alexander for the swing and miss with Price under Pollack.  Bengals signed Glenn who had attitude trouble, Boiling who retired.  Westerman is a mystery.  Perkins Retired.  

Bengals have to do better.  Maybe expand OL scouting arm of the tiny draft war room... They have to do something.  

Uhh...what did I say that made you think I was referencing draft picks? I was referencing their FA approach.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 09:39 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I guess I need to see what they mean by less snaps this year. 90% of his current load doesn't bother me. But if it's 75% or less, you have to wonder if age catching up with him and he's still worth the big contract in 2021. 

It's just an interesting industry to be in. Be paid the same salary but practically speaking working 75% of your capacity or less. I'd like to tell my boss I'm gonna be lopping a day of productivity off my workweek every week, and if he's OK with that, keep paying me the same - if he wants to keep my productivity. Because I'm getting old/tired of it.

In most other industries that would result in being replaced with someone "who can", lol. Earn your damn bucks, old man! Get back in the gym. One of the very few to be in that position to make so much money. Otherwise, you can give back that 25% you aren't making - how about it? Lol.
Reply/Quote