Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underrated Comedies
(08-11-2021, 05:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Better Off Dead is one I really like from the 80’s. I recently showed it to my wife who had never even heard of it before. It has John Cusack 

John Cusack is one of the most underrated actors ever.  He generally does more quirky small movies than big blockbusters, but he is in a lot of movies that I really like.

"Being John Malkovich" is a great comedy.  It should have been one of the first ones I mentioned in this thread.  "Grosse Point Blank" is more a "Romantic Comedy" than a comedy but it is pretty good (especially if you are into 80's music).  "High Fidelity" is another "Romantic Comedy", but if you have ever known a "record store geek" you will like it.

Cusack has also done a lot of good serious movies.  I don't know if he is a great actor or is just good at picking good roles, but I like him in a lot of stuff.
Reply/Quote
A good old fashioned orgy with Jason Sudeikas. My wife brought it home a Redbox. I had never heard of it. She figured we’d give it a shot since it was only a buck. We were pleasantly surprised

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 11:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Cusack has also done a lot of good serious movies.  I don't know if he is a great actor or is just good at picking good roles, but I like him in a lot of stuff.

Fwiw, I've seen this a couple of times and always thought it was pretty great for what it is.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0309698/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_44

It's not a comedy but just in case anyone hasn't seen it I'd thought I'd share it.  If you stumble across it somewhere you should watch it.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 09:40 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Run Ronny Run. David Cross plays a village idiot who constantly gets arrested, is discovered on “Cops” and gets his own reality show getting arrested in a new city each week. It pokes fun at Hollywood and “reality tv” with a slew of cameos like Jack Black, Jeff Goldblum, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, Mandy Patinkin.

DOZ knows whats up! 

[Image: AlarmedCandidDragonfly-max-1mb.gif]
Reply/Quote
Basketball anyone?
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 11:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is my favorite comedy of all time.

I did not even remember hearing about it when it was in theatres, but when I first watched it I was blown away.

Nicholas Cage, Holly Hunter, John Goodman are all great in it. When Holly gets Nathan Junior....

"I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!" while she is breaking down just makes me break down laughing. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 11:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: John Cusack is one of the most underrated actors ever.  He generally does more quirky small movies than big blockbusters, but he is in a lot of movies that I really like.

"Being John Malkovich" is a great comedy.  It should have been one of the first ones I mentioned in this thread.  "Grosse Point Blank" is more a "Romantic Comedy" than a comedy but it is pretty good (especially if you are into 80's music).  "High Fidelity" is another "Romantic Comedy", but if you have ever known a "record store geek" you will like it.

Cusack has also done a lot of good serious movies.  I don't know if he is a great actor or is just good at picking good roles, but I like him in a lot of stuff.

He was great in a horror movie called Identity I remember back in the day, was pretty disturbing about multiple personalities.

Cusack was also great I thought in The Raven about Edgar Allen Poe. But yeah, he has been a very underrated actor.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 01:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He was great in a horror movie called Identity I remember back in the day, was pretty disturbing about multiple personalities.

That's actually the movie I linked a few posts above.  I really enjoyed it.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nicholas Cage, Holly Hunter, John Goodman are all great in it. When Holly gets Nathan Junior....

"I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!" while she is breaking down just makes me break down laughing. Hilarious

Me too!  "I LOVE HIM SO MUCH HYDE!" I scream it at my ol lady all the time.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 01:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: That's actually the movie I linked a few posts above.  I really enjoyed it.

Twists and turns everywhere and the ending is epic.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 12:24 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Basketball anyone?

you mean BASEketball?
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nicholas Cage, Holly Hunter, John Goodman are all great in it. When Holly gets Nathan Junior....

(08-12-2021, 01:57 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Me too!  "I LOVE HIM SO MUCH HYDE!" I scream it at my ol lady all the time.

Every time I go inside somewhere and the wife waits in the car she gets: "I'll be our directly. Mind you stay strapped in"

Every time someone is holding a baby they get: "Mind he little fontanelle"

Every body is always getting a "Well Okay, then"

BTW it 's H.I. (Herbert) not Hyde
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 05:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Every time I go inside somewhere and the wife waits in the car she gets: "I'll be our directly. Mind you stay strapped in"

Every time someone is holding a baby they get: "Mind he little fontanelle"

Every body is always getting a "Well Okay, then"

BTW it 's H.I. (Herbert) not Hyde

Yeah, it is H.I.  Smirk

That in and of itself is hilarious.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 11:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: John Cusack is one of the most underrated actors ever.  He generally does more quirky small movies than big blockbusters, but he is in a lot of movies that I really like.

One of his first movies "The Sure Thing" is pretty good and often gets overlooked out of his movies.

High Fidelity is a solid flick.  Before most people knew who Jack Black even was.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I find the Dennis Leary movie "The Ref" to be not only underrated as a comedy but as a holiday flick.

[Image: TheRef-PosterArt.jpg?partner=allrovi.com]
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 01:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Watched Raising Arizona last night. Might be my favorite of the Coen brothers movies.

That's one of the best comedies ever made.

So many memorable/quotable scenes.

That robbery for the diapers chase sequence is an extremely well done piece of cinematography in itself!
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 05:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Better Off Dead is one I really like from the 80’s. I recently showed it to my wife who had never even heard of it before. It has John Cusack and Booger from Revenge of the Nerds. I remember liking it as a kid, and watching it again I thought it held up pretty well.

I've owned that movie both in VHS & DVD format.  Damn I'm old!!
Reply/Quote
"Take the Money and Run"

Anyone who thinks all Woody Allen movies are subdued and pretentious needs to check this out.  It is low brow and slapstick.  Very, very funny.  In fact most of his early movies were more "nutty" than cerebral ("Sleeper", "Bananas")
Reply/Quote