Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underrated former Bengals.
1. Kenny Watson
2. Justin Smith
3. Thomas Howard
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 11:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: I think people have forgotten just how big of an improvement Jon Kitna was over Akili Smith.  Kitna was a also a mentor to Palmer (and one of the things that frustrated Palmer, apparently, was the release of Kitna), and a good backup.  He was certainly no world beater, but he got us to 8-8 the first year under Marvin.

In his NFL career Kitna finished in the top ten in completion percentage 5 times and top ten in passing yards 4 times

In Dalton's career he has finished in the top ten in completion percentage once and in passing yards once.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 11:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Brian Simmons

(07-09-2019, 11:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: Brian Simmons and James Francis were some good players on some really shitty teams.

Brian Simmons rank all time in Bengal history.

Tackles …........................….. 2nd …….1st among LBs
Sacks...…….......................… 12th ..….2nd among LBs (4th in you count Alfred Williams and Reinard Wilson as LBs)
Forced Fumbles (since '93)...  2nd ......1st among LBs
Fumbles recovered................ 5th ......2nd among LBs
Interceptions....................... 20th ......3rd among LBs
Int return tds.......................  8th .......1st among LBs
seasons with 100 tackles......  2nd ......2nd among LBs 
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 12:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In his NFL career Kitna finished in the top ten in completion percentage 5 times and top ten in passing yards 4 times

In Dalton's career he has finished in the top ten in completion percentage once and in passing yards once.

Very interesting stuff!  Kitna was tough, if nothing else, and didn't exactly play for the winningest teams in the NFL.  I personally don't underrate him, but those stats surprise me to be honest.  You just never seem to hear much about the guy here.....or anywhere else for that matter.

(07-09-2019, 12:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Brian Simmons rank all time in Bengal history.

Sacks...…….......................… 12th ..….2nd among LBs (4th in you count Alfred Williams and Reinard Wilson as LBs)

Again, impressive.  I think more fans would talk more about him if he played on better teams.  I always thought of him as one of our all time best LBs.  Your numbers back that up. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 09:55 AM)Whatever Wrote: I rarely see Carl Pickens get his due, even though he was a great player.

(07-09-2019, 10:03 AM)Synric Wrote: Darnay Scott I believe is the more underrated of that pair hes rarely mentioned.

Scott had a solid career with the Bengals.  He is 7th in career receptions; receiving yards; and tds.  Among the 40 Bengals with at least 100 receptions Scott ranks 5th in average per catch behind only Isaac Curtis, Eddie Brown, Tim McGee and Cris Collinsworth.  But his best single season just ranks 26th in yards and 27th in receptions (68 for 1022 in '99).

Pickens had a great three year stretch ('94-'96) where he led the NFL in td receptions (40) and averaged 90 receptions for 1180 yds. He ranks 3rd in Bengal history in receptions, 4th in yards, and second in tds.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 10:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ken Riley? Chad Johnson? How are those two even remotely underrated among our fans?

Most believe the former should be in the HoF, and even the people that soured on Chad because of his antics will admit he’s one the best players we’ve ever had.

Since he doesn’t currently have a job on an NFL team I’ll go with Domata Peko.

I must say that I missed the Chad Johnson ain't all that debates.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 11:49 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Tony McGee (TE) - Always thought he was a very good pass-catcher. They seemed to go away from him the last few years he was here though.

Rodney Holeman is the only Bengal TE with more career receptions than McGee, and only Gresham and Dan Ross had more in a single season than the 55 Tony caught in '95.

McGee was an iron man who started 111 of 112 games over his fist 7 seasons and only missed a total of 8 in 9 seasons with the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 12:22 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: 1. Kenny Watson
2. Justin Smith
3. Thomas Howard

I was shocked when I was watching that American Football League this spring, before it folded, but Kenny Watson was still playing!
Reply/Quote

Takeo Spikes
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 12:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to my other nominee that has not been elaborated on: In the 3 years Ced was our feature back 4 RBs in the NFL gained 1,000 or more yards every year:

Maurice Jones-Drew
Ray Rice
Chris Johnson
Cedric Benson

Benson holds the Bengal single season record for most rushing yards per game (96.2 in '09), and his career average is less than a yard behind Corey Dillon (75.3 to 74.6).  

His playoff game against the Jets in '09 is arguably the best individual post season performance in team history.  His numbers were very impressive (21 car, 169 yds, 8.1 avg) but the way he did it was ridiculous.  He was just running through tacklers.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 05:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Benson holds the Bengal single season record for most rushing yards per game (96.2 in '09), and his career average is less than a yard behind Corey Dillon (75.3 to 74.6).  

His playoff game against the Jets in '09 is arguably the best individual post season performance in team history.  His numbers were very impressive (21 car, 169 yds, 8.1 avg) but the way he did it was ridiculous.  He was just running through tacklers.

The dude should have been flagged many times for penalty against a defenseless tackler. The image of him trucking Palomalu and Troy staggering off the field is perhaps my favorite Bengal moment.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 05:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Benson holds the Bengal single season record for most rushing yards per game (96.2 in '09), and his career average is less than a yard behind Corey Dillon (75.3 to 74.6).  

(07-09-2019, 06:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The dude should have been flagged many times for penalty against a defenseless tackler. The image of him trucking Palomalu and Troy staggering off the field is perhaps my favorite Bengal moment.  

I was at that playoff game....it was DEFINITELY the best post season performance during Marvin's tenure.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
It's gotta be Justin Smith.

Other names that come to mind: Rich Braham (Bengals have struggled at center ever since), Levi Jones (when his performance fell it fell right off a cliff, but for years before that he was great), Brian Simmons (overshadowed by Takeo Spikes), and Andy Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 12:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Brian Simmons rank all time in Bengal history.

I would have never guessed Simmons as our franchise leading tackler amongst LB's. Good stuff. 
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 09:30 AM)jj22 Wrote: Chinny Ndukwe.

Caleb Miller (with that neck pad, but was just too small for LB)

Frostee Rucker.

And one of my favorites that just didn't seem to get much love from the fanbase..... Manny Lawson.

Not many football players can say they've been on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Caleb Miller, however, can say it. 

[Image: 0003592_caleb-miller.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
Eddie Brown.
24.1 ypc av in 1988.
let that sink in for a minute
Reply/Quote
To expand on Justin Smith: I recall Justin Smith being viewed as a phenomenal disappointment in his time here, a frequent topic of sports talk callers and a guy that no one was particular upset to see go. He wasn't viewed as a good player until AFTER he left for SF when he instantly became a HoF caliber player that everyone knew should have been re-signed all along and how could the Bengals possibly let a player of his caliber walk away?

I wonder how fans would've viewed him if we had access to tools like PFF back when he was a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 01:40 AM)NKURyan Wrote: To expand on Justin Smith: I recall Justin Smith being viewed as a phenomenal disappointment in his time here, a frequent topic of sports talk callers and a guy that no one was particular upset to see go. He wasn't viewed as a good player until AFTER he left for SF when he instantly became a HoF caliber player that everyone knew should have been re-signed all along and how could the Bengals possibly let a player of his caliber walk away?

I wonder how fans would've viewed him if we had access to tools like PFF back when he was a Bengal.

I remember when people were calling him Bustin Smith on the original board. In truth he was a DT and we played him at 4-3 end.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Kevin Kaesviharn- dude had 6 Ints and 4 sacks his last year here. Versitile player played Nickle and Safety.
Chris Crocker- just did everything in the secondary.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 01:40 AM)NKURyan Wrote: To expand on Justin Smith: I recall Justin Smith being viewed as a phenomenal disappointment in his time here, a frequent topic of sports talk callers and a guy that no one was particular upset to see go. He wasn't viewed as a good player until AFTER he left for SF when he instantly became a HoF caliber player that everyone knew should have been re-signed all along and how could the Bengals possibly let a player of his caliber walk away?

Oddly enough, he was tried as an OLB/edge pass rusher initially in SF and was also a disappointment.

It wasn't until after they moved him inside in the 3-4 that he lived up to his lofty draft status.  I don't think he was underrated at all in Cincinnati.  The reality is that he would have never been worth what we paid for him the way we were using him.
Reply/Quote