Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underrated former Bengals.
I'm going to go with an obvious, James Brooks. From '84 to '91, he gave us 1344 carries. That places him 4th all time in attempts, but the kicker is he went 4.8 per in his career with us. Nobody is really close to his ypc average, as a rb, with that type of carries.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Deltha O'Neal. Not here for a long time, but here for a good time.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 04:16 AM)Storer50 Wrote: Deltha O'Neal. Not here for a long time, but here for a good time.

Our last probowl corner....Yep, Deltha was a find.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 03:28 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I'm going to go with an obvious, James Brooks.  From '84 to '91, he gave us 1344 carries.  That places him 4th all time in attempts, but the kicker is he went 4.8 per in his career with us.  Nobody is really close to his ypc average, as a rb, with that type of carries.

Holds the Bengals single season record for yards from scrimmage (rush+receiving) with 1773 in '86.  

Three seasons with 1500 yards from scrimmage ties Dillon for most as a Bengals (Rudi is the only other back to do it).

Led league with 5.3 avg per carry ('86), and averaged 5.6 when he had a career high 1239 rushing yards in '89.  

Only five seasons ever where a Bengal RB had 1000+ yds and a 5.0+ avg.  Brooks has three of them. 

No stat for this but for a guy who just weighed about 185 he was a brutal blocker, and in my opinion Warrick Dunn is the only other RB that small who ran as hard between the tackles.

JB was a tough son of a ***** and one of my all time favorite Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 06:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Holds the Bengals single season record for yards from scrimmage (rush+receiving) with 1773 in '86.  

Three seasons with 1500 yards from scrimmage ties Dillon for most as a Bengals (Rudi is the only other back to do it).

Led league with 5.3 avg per carry ('86), and averaged 5.6 when he had a career high 1239 rushing yards in '89.  

Only five seasons ever where a Bengal RB had 1000+ yds and a 5.0+ avg.  Brooks has three of them. 

No stat for this but for a guy who just weighed about 185 he was a brutal blocker, and in my opinion Warrick Dunn is the only other guy that small who ran as hard between the tackles.

One of my all time favorite Bengals.
Not to mention he couldn't read.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 04:08 PM)jj22 Wrote: Our last probowl corner....Yep, Deltha was a find.

Led the league with 10 picks in '05 setting Bengal team record.
Reply/Quote
Jim LeClair. Was a beast in the middle for many years. 2. Lamar Parrish was a great DB making six pro bowls with the Bengals and eight total. 3. Boobie Clark was our version of the "Bus". 4. Paul Robinson was second in MVP voting to Namath in 1969. We have had many great players
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 05:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rodney Holeman is the only Bengal TE with more career receptions than McGee, and only Gresham and Dan Ross had more in a single season than the 55 Tony caught in '95.

McGee was an iron man who started 111 of 112 games over his fist 7 seasons and only missed a total of 8 in 9 seasons with the Bengals.

Holman was so possibly the best blocking TE in the game during that stretch.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 10:07 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I would have never guessed Simmons as our franchise leading tackler amongst LB's. Good stuff. 

He made a lot of tackles. Just never made any plays.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 04:16 AM)Storer50 Wrote: Deltha O'Neal. Not here for a long time, but here for a good time.

Good pick (pun intended Big Grin).

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 09:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Off season time killer thread.

If you want to talk about an underrated Bengal that does not fall into the guidelines of this thread then start a thread about him.  I am just trying to keep this discussion to a reasonable size.  So please read the rules.

1.  Underrated by fanbase, not by national media.  Those are two totally different discussions.

2.  No player that is currently active in the NFL.  This removes a lot of conjecture.

3.  If you have just one that is great, but try to limit your list to no more than 5.  I know I can come up with a lot more than that, but I am going to do just five and then wait a day to see if anyone mentions any of my other choices.

I'm going to go against rule #1 but with a good reason.  Ken Riley was NEVER in a Pro Bowl, never considered one of the best CB's in the NFL in any year of his career.  This insult to his entire career only shows how stupid the Pro Bowl is. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Among (modern) fans Lemar Parrish. Everyone talks about Ken Riley. Even in this thread. But LP was the better player.

And that's no knock on Riley who was also really good.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 12:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Brian Simmons rank all time in Bengal history.

Tackles …........................….. 2nd …….1st among LBs
Sacks...…….......................… 12th ..….2nd among LBs (4th in you count Alfred Williams and Reinard Wilson as LBs)
Forced Fumbles (since '93)...  2nd ......1st among LBs
Fumbles recovered................ 5th ......2nd among LBs
Interceptions....................... 20th ......3rd among LBs
Int return tds.......................  8th .......1st among LBs
seasons with 100 tackles......  2nd ......2nd among LBs 

(07-11-2019, 11:57 PM)Mobster Wrote: He made a lot of tackles. Just never made any plays.

What do you consider a "play"?
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 10:07 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I would have never guessed Simmons as our franchise leading tackler amongst LB's. Good stuff. 

Simmons holds that distinction only because tackles were not recorded as a stat until the mid 90’s and did not become an official stat until 2001 I believe. Also the Bengals LB’s during that time period were mostly nothing to write home about and the few who were notable played in far fewer games than Simmons and Francis did.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 12:28 PM)HuDey Wrote: Simmons holds that distinction only because tackles were not recorded as a stat until the mid 90’s and did not become an official stat until 2001 I believe

The source I used had Krumrie listed as our all time leading tackler.  It was counting tackles as far back as 1983.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 12:28 PM)HuDey Wrote:  Also the Bengals LB’s during that time period were mostly nothing to write home about and the few who were notable played in far fewer games than Simmons and Francis did.

Simmons didn't just have the most tackles because he played more seasons.  Spikes is the only Bengal with more 100 tackle seasons than Simmons.
Reply/Quote
Number one most underrated player in Bengal history is probably Domata Peko.   From '08 to '15 he helped anchor a Bengal defense that was 5th in yards allowed, 5th in tds allowed and 7th in rushing yards allowed, and over that period Peko was NUMBER ONE in the league in tackles by an interior lineman.

Peko...........388
Ngata.........379
K. Williams..377

Despite all of this Peko took more shit form more fans than almost any player we had.  They ripped on him endlessly and even said that the fact we were playing Peko was proof that we did not care about winning.  Then when he left the Super Bowl Champion Broncos paid him more than we were to start for one of the best defenses in the league.

Mike Zimmer is considered a god by many around here, but fans even refused to believe him when he said Peko was one of the best NTs in the league.

I'll never understand what he did to deserve so much hate.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 02:10 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Oddly enough, he was tried as an OLB/edge pass rusher initially in SF and was also a disappointment.

He was a 4-3 DE his first year at SF and he was not a disappointment.  He finished 2nd in the league in tackles by a DE (73), and also recorded 7 sacks, 10 tackles for loss, and 17 QB hits.

See if you can tell which one of these seasons was with the Bengals and which one was the season Smith was selected All Pro with SF.

Season "A"...81 tackles (50 solo)...7.5 sacks...8 TFL...19 QB hits...3 PD
Season "B"...58 tackles (45 solo)...7.5 sacks...6 TFL...20 QB hits...2 PD

The only reason Justin got more love from the media was because the Forty-niners had the #2 scoring defense in the league in 2011. (season B)
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 12:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Number one most underrated player in Bengal history is probably Domata Peko.   From '08 to '15 he helped anchor a Bengal defense that was 5th in yards allowed, 5th in tds allowed and 7th in rushing yards allowed, and over that period Peko was NUMBER ONE in the league in tackles by an interior lineman.

Peko...........388
Ngata.........379
K. Williams..377

Despite all of this Peko took more shit form more fans than almost any player we had.  They ripped on him endlessly and even said that the fact we were playing Peko was proof that we did not care about winning.  Then when he left the Super Bowl Champion Broncos paid him more than we were to start for one of the best defenses in the league.

Mike Zimmer is considered a god by many around here, but fans even refused to believe him when he said Peko was one of the best NTs in the league.

I'll never understand what he did to deserve so much hate.

I would e went with Peko, but you asked for guys who are no longer in the league. All I know is the Bengals have sucked against the run since he's been gone.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 01:51 PM)jason Wrote: I would e went with Peko, but you asked for guys who are no longer in the league. All I know is the Bengals have sucked against the run since he's been gone.

He’s technically not in the league right now. That’s why I picked him. And like Fred said, not only was he underrated, he was flat out disliked by many. It was weird.

I remember the term “tub of goo” being hurled around a lot towards the end of his time here.

Reply/Quote