Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underrated former Bengals.
Off season time killer thread.

If you want to talk about an underrated Bengal that does not fall into the guidelines of this thread then start a thread about him. I am just trying to keep this discussion to a reasonable size. So please read the rules.

1. Underrated by fanbase, not by national media. Those are two totally different discussions.

2. No player that is currently active in the NFL. This removes a lot of conjecture.

3. If you have just one that is great, but try to limit your list to no more than 5. I know I can come up with a lot more than that, but I am going to do just five and then wait a day to see if anyone mentions any of my other choices.
Reply/Quote
I've really only had my finger on the pulse of the fan base for around 15 years or so... The first guys that pop into my head are Justin Smith and Dhani Jones.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Chad Johnson

Cedric Benson

Dan Wilkerson
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
1. Kyle Cook, OC Before the 2012 season Pat Kirwan wrote an article about offensive linemen that had not gotten the Pro Bowl credit they deserve. He had Cook #1 at OC..... "1. Kyle Cook, Cincinnati Bengals: Offensive line coach Paul Alexander knew he found a very good player when the undrafted rookie free agent was signed from Michigan State in 2008. Four years and 48 starts later, Cook has given up one sack every 12 games. " Unfortunately Cook suffered a foot injury in preseason that year and never fully recovered. He played the first four games before going on IR. He returned in 2013 and started all 16 games, but he was not the same player. He retired after the season.

2. Rodney Holman, TE In Holeman's era tight ends were more blocker and less receiver. Holeman was not a big bruiser, but he thrived on the Wyche/Esiason teams. He was one of the top TEs in the league for a six year stretch ('85-'90). Over that period he ranked #1 among TEs in TDs and #3 in receiving yards. Among the 30 TEs that had at least 100 receptions he ranked #1 in yards per catch. Holman went to three Pro Bowls ('88-'90). He was second in receptions on our '88 Super Bowl team, and he was the leading receiver in our last playoff victory.

3. Dan Wilkinson, DT/DE Never lived up to his draft hype, but was one of the best Bengal DTs ever. Led AFC interior linemen in sacks in '95, and his total of 20 from '94 to '96 was 6th among NFL DT/NT. Moved to DE in '97. His true value was reflected in the fact that when we traded him to Washington we got a 1st and a 3rd pick in return. Played 13 seasons in the NFL starting 182 games. Gets a lot of hate for being an underachiever and calling Cincinnati a "racist city".
Reply/Quote
Tony McGee (TE) - Always thought he was a very good pass-catcher. They seemed to go away from him the last few years he was here though.

Oliver Gibson (DT) - Solid DT. Sure, he played on a horrible 2002 team, but, the few seasons before that, they had a pretty good defense and he was the starting DT.

Danny Stubbs (DE) - Played 2 and a half seasons here part time and had a total of 17 sacks. One year, he had 9. Everywhere this guy played (SF, DAL, CIN, PHI) he put up nice sack numbers considering he was a role player. Plus, he's from New Jersey :)
Reply/Quote
Brian Simmons and Justin Smith.
Reply/Quote
Lorenzo O'neal - Lorenzo LaVonne Neal (born December 27, 1970) is a former American football fullback who played in the National Football League (NFL) for sixteen seasons. Neal played college football for Fresno State University. He was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the fourth round of the 1993 NFL Draft. A four-time Pro Bowl selection and three-time All-Pro, he was also a member of the New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tennessee Titans, Cincinnati Bengals, San Diego Chargers, Baltimore Ravens, and Oakland Raiders. Considered one of the best blocking fullbacks in NFL history,[1] Neal blocked for a 1,000+ yard running back in eleven straight seasons from 1997 to 2007.

Cincinnati Bengals
After two seasons with the Titans, and one Super Bowl appearance, Neal signed with the Cincinnati Bengals on May 8, 2001, where in his first season with the team, he helped Corey Dillon rush for 1,315 yards. After the season, Neal was named to USA Today's All-Joe team. He was also selected as a Pro Bowl second-alternate.In 2002, Neal helped Dillon rush for 1,311 yards. He also recorded a one-yard touchdown reception, against his former team, the Tennessee Titans on October 27. He also was selected to his first Pro Bowl. 

[Image: linebacker-derrick-brooks-of-the-tampa-b...id1463429?]

Most teams underappreciated him, including the fan base that probably can't recall his name.
Reply/Quote
Chinny Ndukwe.

Caleb Miller (with that neck pad, but was just too small for LB)

Frostee Rucker.

And one of my favorites that just didn't seem to get much love from the fanbase..... Manny Lawson.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Ken Riley
Reply/Quote
I rarely see Carl Pickens get his due, even though he was a great player.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 09:55 AM)Whatever Wrote: I rarely see Carl Pickens get his due, even though he was a great player.

Darnay Scott I believe is the more underrated of that pair hes rarely mentioned...James Francis is also a guy I remember being pretty good in Cincy but is rarely mentioned.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Shayne Graham - Graham actually has the highest FG% (86.8%) and second-highest FGs made (177) in franchise history. He was often criticized for missing the "big ones," but he was highly accurate in non-pressure situations.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Ken Riley? Chad Johnson? How are those two even remotely underrated among our fans?

Most believe the former should be in the HoF, and even the people that soured on Chad because of his antics will admit he’s one the best players we’ve ever had.

Since he doesn’t currently have a job on an NFL team I’ll go with Domata Peko.

Reply/Quote
Charles Lee "Boobie" Clark
Eddie Brown
Carl Pickens
Ashley Ambrose
Reply/Quote
1) Bobby Williams
2) Jim LeClair
3) Darnay Scott
4) Frostee Rucker
5) Mike Nugent
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 09:24 PM)jason Wrote: I've really only had my finger on the pulse of the fan base for around 15 years or so... The first guys that pop into my head are Justin Smith and Dhani Jones.

Watch where you're sticking your fingers pally.. Not all of us want them feeling around for our pulses you know..  Hilarious
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Cedric Ogbuehi very under rated for his ability to piss off fans of the Bengals.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
"Nasty" Nate Livings Ninja

BTW Bengalitis, Neal was a very good choice, IMO.

I'm going to start off with a couple of backers....already mentioned, but Brian Simmons and James Francis were some good players on some really shitty teams.

I think people have forgotten just how big of an improvement Jon Kitna was over Akili Smith.  Kitna was a also a mentor to Palmer (and one of the things that frustrated Palmer, apparently, was the release of Kitna), and a good backup.  He was certainly no world beater, but he got us to 8-8 the first year under Marvin.

Maybe not underrated, but forgotten, Jordan Shipley.  Injury derailed him, but he was a solid option for Carson.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 11:49 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Danny Stubbs (DE) - Played 2 and a half seasons here part time and had a total of 17 sacks. One year, he had 9. Everywhere this guy played (SF, DAL, CIN, PHI) he put up nice sack numbers considering he was a role player. Plus, he's from New Jersey :)

Stubbs sacked Esiason in the '88 Super Bowl, and got Elway twice in the '89 Super Bowl.  He also made the playoffs with the Eagles and Dolphins totaling 6 sacks in 9 postseason games.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 10:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ken Riley? Chad Johnson? How are those two even remotely underrated among our fans?

Most believe the former should be in the HoF, and even the people that soured on Chad because of his antics will admit he’s one the best players we’ve ever had.

Since he doesn’t currently have a job on an NFL team I’ll go with Domata Peko.

Chad was undderrated around here for his toughness. He was being called "diva", "selfish", ect... while he was going over the middle, getting blasted, and popping back up. Dude played a season with a torn labrum while many around here were talking about his selfishness. He missed one game in his Bengal Career because of injury. 

As to my other nominee that has not been elaborated on: In the 3 years Ced was our feature back 4 RBs in the NFL gained 1,000 or more yards every year:

Maurice Jones-Drew
Ray Rice
Chris Johnson
Cedric Benson
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote