Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underrated former Bengals.
Reggie Kelly. I loved his team first mentality. He didn't have the greatest hands/speed but imo he was the best blocking TE.
Reply/Quote
Clint Boling.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2019, 09:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Leon Hall:  Started out pretty rough, but ended up becoming a shut down CB for a few years.  

I should have mentioned him earlier.  Hall was a very good CB who should have gone to some Pro Bowls.  He did not start until the middle of his rookie season but over his first three seasons ('07-'09) only Darrelle Revis (64) had more passes defended than Hall (60) and only Charles Woodson (20), Asante Samuel (19), and Antonio Cromartie (15) had more interceptions than Hall's 14.  But none of those top 4 cover corners had as many tackles as Hall (214)

What hurt him with Bengal fans was the fact that he got burnt once in college by Ted Ginn.  After that he was called "too slow" despite being one of the fastest CBs in his draft class (4.38 forty).
Reply/Quote
I feel like Nate Clements is one of those guys we brought in, he contributed some solid years for us at Corner and a little at Safety, and now some fans forget he played for us at all.

Edit: Looking back he did just play two years for us. Still always got the impression he was a key part of the defense when he was here.

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 02:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I should have mentioned him earlier.  Hall was a very good CB who should have gone to some Pro Bowls.  He did not start until the middle of his rookie season but over his first three seasons ('07-'09) only Darrelle Revis (64) had more passes defended than Hall (60) and only Charles Woodson (20), Asante Samuel (19), and Antonio Cromartie (15) had more interceptions than Hall's 14.  But none of those top 4 cover corners had as many tackles as Hall (214)

What hurt him with Bengal fans was the fact that he got burnt once in college by Ted Ginn.  After that he was called "too slow" despite being one of the fastest CBs in his draft class (4.38 forty).

There was a game early on where his former teammate, Braylon Edwards, owned him as a Brown.  Ironically, it wasn't but a season or two later where Hall completely shut Edwards down and Edwards was still in his prime.  I remember thinking he had avenged that early game, but he got beat so badly that early game against Edwards, that I felt that was why he was always underrated as a Bengal.  He struggled very early but became a top 10 CB for many years.  He even came back from the dreaded achillis injury.  
Reply/Quote
Great thread and to be honest most of the names i would have thrown out there (Brooks, Holman, Nelson..) have already been mentioned.

I've not seen Joe Walter mentioned but he was a great RT for us...

..if not underrated as such then I would say he is a bit unlucky to have been put in the shade by playing opposite the greatest LT of all time when he was getting all the Pro Bowl/All Pro nods.

Most fans would say he is not even the best Bengals RT (Big Willie) but that does not mean he was a superb player on arguably our best O-Line
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 09:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There was a game early on where his former teammate, Braylon Edwards, owned him as a Brown.  Ironically, it wasn't but a season or two later where Hall completely shut Edwards down and Edwards was still in his prime.  I remember thinking he had avenged that early game, but he got beat so badly that early game against Edwards, that I felt that was why he was always underrated as a Bengal.  He struggled very early but became a top 10 CB for many years.  He even came back from the dreaded achillis injury.  

Twice!

He should've made PB in 2009 and 2010, especially 2009; he had *1* game where he gave up more than 30 yards (think it was 30, may have been a bit more) and that was the game against SD, where the tall WRs ate him up.

It was his only bad game all year.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 02:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I should have mentioned him earlier.  Hall was a very good CB who should have gone to some Pro Bowls.  He did not start until the middle of his rookie season but over his first three seasons ('07-'09) only Darrelle Revis (64) had more passes defended than Hall (60) and only Charles Woodson (20), Asante Samuel (19), and Antonio Cromartie (15) had more interceptions than Hall's 14.  But none of those top 4 cover corners had as many tackles as Hall (214)

I was always a big fan of Hall he was a very good CB before the injuries. Hall always played hard and acted very professionally. Hall and Johnathan  Joseph were a great tandem and a big reason for Zimmer's early success. Our front 7 wasn't great talent wise but these 2 locked things up on the outside making it easier for the guys up front. 
Reply/Quote