Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Unguardable"
High percentage possibility that Boyd is just hyping his teammate. However, being that it's the Bengals, I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see Ross become a statistical monster and stay healthy in 2020. He's playing for a contract now and running out of chances.

Watch him put up prime Desean Jackson numbers and start talking about wanting a huge deal by December. He'll get paid by some team that's not us, then he'll get to talking about how awful and unfair his time in Cincinnati was. Makes too much sense, minus the staying healthy part.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 03:29 PM)samhain Wrote: High percentage possibility that Boyd is just hyping his teammate.  However, being that it's the Bengals, I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see Ross become a statistical monster and stay healthy in 2020.  He's playing for a contract now and running out of chances.  

Watch him put up prime Desean Jackson numbers and start talking about wanting a huge deal by December.  He'll get paid by some team that's not us, then he'll get to talking about how awful and unfair his time in Cincinnati was.  Makes too much sense, minus the staying healthy part.

Sounds like our luck, hope our luck is starting to change. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Even Boyd has pals in the team, lucky for Ross. Ross won't be around this season or next. I hope they keep in touch.
Reply/Quote
When he was picked I understood why.

They took a huge gamble picking him so high with that many knee injuries. He has really struggled to stay healthy his entire career. I hate on him because he has so much talent and potential but he can’t play more than a handful of games in a season because he is made of glass literally
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 06:46 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote:  he is made of glass literally

Man, you really think a physical would have shown that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 03:24 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: John Ross is pretty unguardable on this forum lol

He’s gotta put it together during games, I’m sure he always looks pretty good on the practice field. Like many said, drops, mental errors, injuries, those are the types of things that have plagued him. At least after this year we will know where we stand with Ross. This is his no excuse rookie year after all!

Totally agree.  I mean, who here really believes he will even top 600 yards this season?  I think it's pretty doubtful with the addition of Higgins.  I think we all hope we have just a late-bloomer in Ross, but odds are he's gone after this season.  If next year he is gone, it will be just another first round bust to add to the list.

I think I would've been a lot more excited had Boyd said the OL was "unbeatable".  Smirk
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 07:48 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Totally agree.  I mean, who here really believes he will even top 600 yards this season?  I think it's pretty doubtful with the addition of Higgins.  I think we all hope we have just a late-bloomer in Ross, but odds are he's gone after this season.  If next year he is gone, it will be just another first round bust to add to the list.

I think I would've been a lot more excited had Boyd said the OL was "unbeatable".  Smirk

John Ross had 500+ yards on only 28 catches last season....
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 07:52 PM)Synric Wrote: John Ross had 500+ yards on only 28 catches last season....

He could’ve had 1,000 yards last year if it wasn’t for the sternovascular injury. He’s basically a poor mans DJax, if he could last a season he’d be pretty darn good. Was he worth a 1st round pick? Probably not. Could he still be a weapon for this team? Absolutely.

My biggest fear is he does turn it around this year and we pay him a lot. This team needs to be careful.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 02:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Boyd said our offense could be top of the league in 2019, too.  I ain't rooting against the Bengals, I'm just saying the guy has shown he has a flair for hyperbole.

Tbf that comment was probably made before losing AJ and Jonah, no?

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 08:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tbf that comment was probably made before losing AJ and Jonah, no?

AJ was probably hurt but not expected to miss the whole year but Jonah was probably already out by that point, but I'm not sure.  I'm not busting the guy's balls or anything I just think there is a fine line between being optimistic and sounding like Browns fans going into 2019...oof.

Though I don't believe in karma or jinxes, so his optimism doesn't worry me or anything.  
Reply/Quote
Why do people think John Ross is to blame for his injuries?
When he was hurt vs the Falcons he pulled a groin
On the end of a 39 yd TD catch
Then when he was injured vs the Steelers with the blow
To the chest from Joe Haden wasnt he extending
His arms on a bad throw from Dalton leaving him exposed ?
Reply/Quote
With Ross it never is just one thing. Like someone doesn't get fired for being 10 minutes late for work unless there were a bunch of other reasons before that happened. Being injured being Ross' fault or not is not relevant. He was a top ten draft pick that has not panned out to be worth the cost. If this was a fifth rounder, then the tone would be slightly different. Ross is a Pro Bowler when it comes to people talking about "potential," "on pace for" and "could have."
Reply/Quote
Man, talk about polarizing! There are now three threads about John Ross. Even if they all didn't start out that way, that's where they've ended up. Thankfully the debates will be settled this year once and for all.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 09:04 PM)kacymcbryant18 Wrote: Man, talk about polarizing! There are now three threads about John Ross. Even if they all didn't start out that way, that's where they've ended up. Thankfully the debates will be settled this year once and for all.

There are many reasons why this year can be excused for not settling things once and for all...

- ZT and/or Callahan aren't using Ross right
- Burrow is a rookie
- short training camp and no pre-season hindered Burrow and Ross from gelling
- Ross' mind and/or time was on his wife and kid
- Ross may spend time on IR

and so on...I'm not rooting against Ross, but we've heard how every year is going to be the year we figure out what we have in the guy but then we still don't know because Marvin/Zampese/Lazor/Dalton/Finley/injuries/confidence/number change/more injuries happen. 
Reply/Quote
Happy to hear it, but his speed is well-known and anyone who knew anything about Ross leading up to the draft knew he had super quick feet and change of direction to go along with it.

I am probably one of the top 3 defenders of his on this board, but even I really want him to prove it on the field, not just hear it from a teammate. If anything, so it can shut up the haters and prove me right Smirk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 03:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sounds like our luck, hope our luck is starting to change. Mellow

I'd happily reap the benefits of a monster year from Ross, but no way in hell I extend him for big money.  
Reply/Quote
I'd love nothing more than to see Ross light up the record books this season. But until he proves he can stay on the field and stop dropping passes I'm gonna stay a skeptic.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 07:52 PM)Synric Wrote: John Ross had 500+ yards on only 28 catches last season....

So, do you believe he will have over 600 yards this year?
I believe the mental errors probably play more of a role than anything in his lack of success so far.  Marvin wouldn't even l barely let the guy play his first year.

With a new option in Higgins, I see him in a reduced role in his last year here.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote

(08-15-2020, 07:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He could’ve had 1,000 yards last year if it wasn’t for the sternovascular injury. He’s basically a poor mans DJax, if he could last a season he’d be pretty darn good. Was he worth a 1st round pick? Probably not. Could he still be a weapon for this team? Absolutely.

My biggest fear is he does turn it around this year and we pay him a lot. This team needs to be careful.

He balled out in Week 1 with 7/158/2... but that's the only time we've ever seen that John Ross in 3 years.

In Week 2 he only had 3/44/0 until 56 seconds left in a 41-10 game against the 2nd string D when he got a long garbageist-of-garbage-time TDs.

The other 6 games he had 17/236/0.

He was never going to reach 1,000 yards. He's more like a homeless man's DJax. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 03:03 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Wake me up when the Bengals offensive coaches actually learn to versify John Ross's role on offense . He's one if the few talents on offense that can make tacklers miss in openfield.

Agreed.  I always thought the screen or end-around was a great way to get the ball in his hands (and to suck up the defense so they can get burned over the top), but I can also see ZT and Co. thinking "Let's get the small stuff done first and then we can expand".  I have no basis other than a hunch, but maybe Ross doesn't absorb the playbook well and they want to make sure he knows the package they want him to run before giving him more.  

Because, honestly, I always thought they wasted some easy opportunities to get the ball in his hands.  
Reply/Quote