Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Union: Pistol-whipped detective didn't shoot attacker because of headlines
http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/13/us/alabama-birmingham-police-detective-pistol-whipped/

This is how people get killed. We are at a point where we are making an already thankless job worse. You think it's tough to find good cops now? If we continue on this trend, it will in fact only get worse.
Quote:"Pistol whipped his ass to sleep," one user wrote, employing the hashtag #FckDaPolice. Another mockingly offered the officer milk and cookies for his "nap time."

I pray for my children.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-14-2015, 09:22 AM)Au165 Wrote: http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/13/us/alabama-birmingham-police-detective-pistol-whipped/

This is how people get killed. We are at a point where we are making an already thankless job worse. You think it's tough to find good cops now? If we continue on this trend, it will in fact only get worse.

There were at least 3 or 4 more stories about police being murdered the last few days on related articles too.
Wouldn't this make police and their unions support body cams as officers could have video evidence that their use of force was justified?
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(08-14-2015, 02:58 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Wouldn't this make police and their unions support body cams as officers could have video evidence that their use of force was justified?

You'd think, but I honestly believe that it really wouldn't matter much at this point.

You're either for the cops or against the cops and video evidence isn't going to change your opinion.

No amount of video will change the opinions of those that are against cops, they will find an excuse. Those of us that are still sane, can be swayed by the evidence, but we're becoming a minority.
(08-14-2015, 03:05 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: You'd think, but I honestly believe that it really wouldn't matter much at this point.

You're either for the cops or against the cops and video evidence isn't going to change your opinion.

No amount of video will change the opinions of those that are against cops, they will find an excuse. Those of us that are still sane, can be swayed by the evidence, but we're becoming a minority.

That definitely works both ways. But is a cop really going to consider the whining of people who will deny video evidence to be hateful when making a heat of the moment decisions about if and when to use force? Video won't stop the haters from hating, but it will exonerate the innocent.
Most police departments want them, the issue is funding to get them. I work for a company where we interact with police daily and many will tell you they want them now as protection more than anything. However, as it has been pointed out even with video, some will still see police wrong doing even when it's not there (it goes both ways though).
(08-14-2015, 03:05 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: You'd think, but I honestly believe that it really wouldn't matter much at this point.

You can't be serious.

There are just as many pro-cop extremists who refuse to look at the evidence as there are anti-cop extremists.
(08-14-2015, 05:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You can't be serious.

There are just as many pro-cop extremists who refuse to look at the evidence as there are anti-cop extremists.

If you listened to 700 after the UC thing you could have heard a bunch. Video evidence of what you can almost call an execution and some just wouldn't believe it.
(08-14-2015, 03:16 PM)6andcounting Wrote:  Video won't stop the haters from hating, but it will exonerate the innocent.

This.

When you look at how many police are exonerated I find it hard to believe that they are so afraid of getting convicted.  almost all police charged are found not guilty.
(08-14-2015, 05:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You can't be serious.

Yes I am serious, in many cases the PO's are already tried in the public and it won't matter much afterwards when the Video is released that proves their innocence to the haters. The damage will have already been done to the PO and the community.

Now on the other side, when the evidence is damning to the cop, it has a higher chance of resulting in consequences for the PO.  Does it happen every time? No, and that's when an investigation is warranted.
(08-14-2015, 05:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

When you look at how many police are exonerated I find it hard to believe that they are so afraid of getting convicted.  almost all police charged are found not guilty.

I think they fear the chance that it could go the other way based on recent events. Even if it does go their way their careers are ruined, like the guy in Ferguson.
Even if that cop were wearing a body cam, people would freak out over it if he had shot him. Why? Because the guy was unarmed and thus posed "no threat". The body can would have shown a big black guy moving aggressively toward the office and then the officer shooting him in the head. It would have looked like another scared, white, trigger-happy cop. People would not consider it justified unless the guy was already posing a serious threat, and a lot of people would not think that the line was crossed until the guy grabbed the officer's guy and started beating him with it.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

It was also massively unfortunate that a bunch of losers stood around, took pictures, giggled, and mocked the injured officer instead of helping him out or calling an ambulance. Truly sad happenings.
LFG  

Not for nothing but if there were two people in the vehicle and he was already calling for backup, how did one sneak up on him?

Six year veteran didn't keep his attention on both of them? It didn't say they rushed him but one sneaked up on him.

Its a horrible thing any time an officer goes down in the course of his/her duties, but in the end no one is dead, the criminals are caught and he will be fine so with no death involved I wonder how it happened in the first place.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-15-2015, 09:52 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Even if that cop were wearing a body cam, people would freak out over it if he had shot him.  Why?  Because the guy was unarmed and thus posed "no threat".  The body can would have shown a big black guy moving aggressively toward the office and then the officer shooting him in the head.  It would have looked like another scared, white, trigger-happy cop. People would not consider it justified unless the guy was already posing a serious threat, and a lot of people would not think that the line was crossed until the guy grabbed the officer's guy and started beating him with it.

Not true.

You do realize that most police officers in these type of shootings are exonerated by "people" either on juries or grand juries.

So who are all of these "people" who you claim would freak out and blame the cop.

I agree that some people would, but when you look at the entire picture the premise of this thread is false.  Most people are reasonable about threats to police and that is why almost all of these police end up being exonerated.
(08-15-2015, 12:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not true.

You do realize that most police officers in these type of shootings are exonerated by "people" either on juries or grand juries.

So who are all of these "people" who you claim would freak out and blame the cop.

I agree that some people would, but when you look at the entire picture the premise of this thread is false.  Most people are reasonable about threats to police and that is why almost all of these police end up being exonerated.

These police end up getting exonerated because they aren't tried by the media, Facebook, message boards, etc.  I don't deny that the evidence could show that he was innocent, but even if it did, Americans are too feeble-minded to recognize it and treat it as such.

Just look at all of the police officer shootings that happen.  If you say that people don't overreact regardless of the evidence that supports the officer, you're either lying, trolling, stupid, or a combination of the three.  A good deal of people have their mind made up and evidence doesn't sway them.
LFG  

(08-14-2015, 05:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There are just as many pro-cop extremists.

Sure there are.  That's why everywhere you look there are pro-cop rallies and protests, pro-cop supporters interrupting campaign speeches, etc..
We had a Police shooting recently in Louisville. Initial accounts from all "eyewitnesses" has the civilian did nothing while the policeman approached he in a threatening and violent manner. It was getting ready to erupt.

Luckily some of the local businesses had surveillance cameras and these cameras showed that the Officer did absolutely nothing wrong and was being attacked and backing away from the man until he backed into his car when he fired. It got real quiet.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-15-2015, 02:12 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Sure there are.  That's why everywhere you look there are pro-cop rallies and protests, pro-cop supporters interrupting campaign speeches, etc..
Pro cop supporters don't need to cause a ruckus because they have the support of the establishment. They stay put because the aren't trying to change the current situation; they support it.