Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
United States Travel: Where have you been, and what is your favorite?
(07-21-2015, 12:59 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Iowa, Illinios, Northern Indiana (Notre Dame to be precise), Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Virginia-DC, and Florida. Haven't really been out of the midwest much. But for the upcoming Honeymoon, we are traveling to eastern Tennessee and the Smokey Mountains and then to Nashville so we can get them checked off the bucketlist.  Looking forward to the trip to the Rocky Top state. 

Outside of the country, I've been to Canada (twice), excellent fishing up there!  and once to Cancun Mexico.  Cancun was a great time, I had a lot of fun down there, but if we ever go back to Mexico, I want to go someplace different.  Cozemel? Cabo? Just someplace other than Cancun.

You guys who haven't been to Iowa, you should stop by sometime.  There really is a lot more to do in this state than grow corn and drive tractors.  And hey, you might all become Hawkeye fans after you leave too?  You just never know.   Rock On  

My old lady's family are all originally from Cicero Illinois and most have relocated to Dubuque Iowa (sp).  So, I foresee a trip there in the future with a stopover in Chicago I hope.  Her aunt and cousin just left here.  The came up for a weekend visit.

I heard i can visit the "field of dreams" no?  anything else of interest around Dubuque?  Anything else sports related close by? Can I get to Chicago by train quickly?
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2015, 02:03 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: My old lady's family are all originally from Cicero Illinois and most have relocated to Dubuque Iowa (sp).  So, I foresee a trip there in the future with a stopover in Chicago I hope.  Her aunt and cousin just left here.  The came up for a weekend visit.

I heard i can visit the "field of dreams" no?  anything else of interest around Dubuque?  Anything else sports related close by? Can I get to Chicago by train quickly?

Ya you aren't going to be too far from the "Field of Dreams".  Its in Dyersville, or close to it.   Dubuque is an "old" town in Iowa.  It actually has some nice architecture if you are into that sort of thing.  Chicago is only a couple of hours away from Dubuque too, so its not like you are that far away from some civilization. :)  Other sports related sites near by would be Iowa City and historic Kinnick Stadium where the Hawkeyes play.  Its prolly just over an hour away. Being a fan of Michigan as you are, you might be interested in that too? 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2015, 03:16 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Ya you aren't going to be too far from the "Field of Dreams".  Its in Dyersville, or close to it.   Dubuque is an "old" town in Iowa.  It actually has some nice architecture if you are into that sort of thing.  Chicago is only a couple of hours away from Dubuque too, so its not like you are that far away from some civilization. :)  Other sports related sites near by would be Iowa City and historic Kinnick Stadium where the Hawkeyes play.  Its prolly just over an hour away. Being a fan of Michigan as you are, you might be interested in that too? 

thanks for the info but all I'm getting is you are going to be bored outta your wits in 48hours  if you stay in Dubuque!  LOL

I'm a Michigan fan, but I'm also a football fan.  So I'd totally make a trip to Kinnick.  Maybe even catch a game if the time of year lines up in my favour.  An hour away is child's play and her cousin's husband i'm sure would be down for that?  My old lady would be if he wasn't.  She's a keeper.
Reply/Quote
I love the desert. Scottsdale is great. I'd like to see New Mexico. I want to be one of those cowboys in the movies that goes horseback riding through the desert then arrives at a town to drink and gamble and and maybe a lady, then go horseback riding and camping for a couple of more days until you arrive at another town and do it all over again.

I drove all over North Dakota, and it's pretty cool if you like vast emptiness. Much like a desert.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, LA, MO, MI, TX, TN, NV, AZ. Not many.

Favorite: Florida in February. It's the perfect time to get out of the cold. SC beaches are also great.

Most interesting: Arizona. So different from the East Coast.

Least favorite: Michigan. Meh.

Where I'd like to go: California, Hawaii, Maine
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Oh, forgot I was in Chicago for my 8th grade trip ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 08:22 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: My favorite places overall, are Acadia National Park in Maine and Zion National Park in Utah.  Both are some of the most unique things that I've ever seen.
Done a lot of camping in different parts of the country, and Acadia is the overall winner thus far.  

(07-21-2015, 12:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: Favorite states are the Carolinas.  They have it all.....mountains, plains, and beaches all in one state.  Love Hilton Head, Cherokee National Forest, and Darlington Raceway.
Carolina's hold a sweet spot in my heart for all the GIR's and 3 putts I've experienced there.  Easily the best golf courses I've ever played.  Beautiful.

I'd say HI for me.  Lived there for a while growing up, the most gorgeous place ive ever been.
Bucket list: AK and Key West as some others have mentioned.  Specifically want to see the Dry Tortugas
Reply/Quote
CA, OR, WA, NV, ID, UT, AZ, TX, NM, and MO. Not the biggest traveler, but my wife and I are looking into doing more.

I'd say that WA and OR are my favorite because I love the Pacific Northest and I enjoy the beach. My least favorite state was Texas, but we were in El Paso. We went around the city for a day and it really seemed like a dirty city. I'd like to travel to the New England area at some point. I want to head to Boston and view some of the historical colonial sites.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I've been everywhere but the lower 48 part of the Pacific northwest and the far northeastern states. I've spent some adventurous times in Alaska. Alaska is breathtaking. It's like a different world and it is very humbling. No matter how big you think you are, if you're ever in the Alaskan wilderness you'll realize you're just a speck.

My favorite vacation area is the coastal Carolina area. North and South. I lived in San Diego for a few years and it's a fabulous area and all but the American history of the Carolinas makes those places special to me.
Reply/Quote
I'm a huge Tigers fan so I make the 9 hr trip every year to Detroit. I also stop in Ann Arbor. Southeast Michigan is a dump though.
Reply/Quote
I've been to every state except Alaska, Oregon, Maine, Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico. I love Colorado, Vegas, Utah, Arizona and Virginia and South Carolina are nice on the East Coast. Ohio at least down by Cincy is nice. I don't care for Toledo. I love Wisconsin this time of year but winters are too long and Summers are too short.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 12:31 AM)packerbacker Wrote: I don't care for Toledo.

No one cares for Toledo.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I'm sad to see that so many of you haven't been to Maine. You're all missing out. Do yourself a favor, and put it near the top of your list of things to do.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I've been to all the states except for Hawaii, Alaska, pretty much all the west & midwest I never been to, nor have I been to any of the Northeastern States but NY. Also never made it to Alabama, Miss, Ark, Tex yet either. Other than those Ive been to pretty much all of them.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 06:14 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I'm sad to see that so many of you haven't been to Maine.  You're all missing out.  Do yourself a favor, and put it near the top of your list of things to do.

I've heard that.  Maine is definitely on my bucket list to see sometime as well.  As is South Carolina and Washington-Oregon/Northern Cali area. And Vegas.  Gotta have Vegas on my list.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 08:11 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I thought that this might be an interesting topic for a thread.

Let's talk about your travel stories.

How many states have you been to?

In the upper 30s. Havent been to Hawaii, Alaska, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and a few others.

What's your favorite place?

Probably Delaware. Lived there for about 2 years and I loved it so much. So much pride, people are great, and just a good place to stay...minus the weather of course (but that never really bothered me).

What's your least favorite place?

New York. Everyones an asshole, rude, and things are more expensive just because...it's New York.

Where would you like to go, but haven't gotten the chance to yet?

Alaska. I want to take trip there badly. Beautiful country, animals and cheap real estate. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 08:11 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I thought that this might be an interesting topic for a thread.

Let's talk about your travel stories.

How many states have you been to?
What's your favorite place?
What's your least favorite place?
Where would you like to go, but haven't gotten the chance to yet?

I haven't been to California, Oregon, Washington State, Alaska, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Arkansas, and for some reason Michigan.  I don't know how I missed Michigan.  I've been to all the others.  My favorite spot in the world is my Mom's hometown, Bryson City, NC, a Smoky Mountain town.  I've lived in the Rockies, but the Smokies are in my DNA. 

My least favorite state was New Jersey, I guess.  I don't really have any complaints but I can't really remember anything memorable about it.

I would love to go to Alaska.  

As far as other countries go, I've been to Germany twice and loved it.  I went to Paris, France, and loved it.  I've been to South Korea twice and Japan about 5 times or something like that.  I've been to the Netherlands.  It was all right.  
Reply/Quote