Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I thought this had to be a joke, but sadly no. We have an idiot in charge.
(01-03-2022, 05:15 PM)Dill Wrote: Why doesn't it seem sad to you that an adult would so insult the president  

while the president was talking to his own child on national television?  

This just isn't the US I grew up in.

What about Deniro saying "F*&k Trump" twice at the Tony awards to a standing ovation?  What about Madonna talking about blowing up the White house?  What about Kathy Griffin holding up a facsimile of Trump's severed head?  What about Trump replacing Caesar in the Central Park rendition of Shakespeare?   What about a Trump look alike being shot in a Snoop Dog video?  What about Colbert referring to Trump's mouth as "Putin's cockholster?"  I don't recall you being sad about any of those, or the myriad other such, instances.

I get that Trump brought much of it on himself, the man is an ass, but as I said in my initial post on the "F Joe Biden" chant, the officer of POTUS deserves a modicum of respect regardless of the occupant.  Now, I'm not going to pretend I know what's in your mind, but it certainly appears that you only care about civility and treating the POTUS with respect now that Trump is no longer in office.  But don't feel too bad, you've got plenty of company in this regard.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 09:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: What about Deniro saying "F*&k Trump" twice at the Tony awards to a standing ovation?  What about Madonna talking about blowing up the White house?  What about Kathy Griffin holding up a facsimile of Trump's severed head?  What about Trump replacing Caesar in the Central Park rendition of Shakespeare?   What about a Trump look alike being shot in a Snoop Dog video?  What about Colbert referring to Trump's mouth as "Putin's cockholster?"  I don't recall you being sad about any of those, or the myriad other such, instances.

I get that Trump brought much of it on himself, the man is an ass, but as I said in my initial post on the "F Joe Biden" chant, the officer of POTUS deserves a modicum of respect regardless of the occupant.  Now, I'm not going to pretend I know what's in your mind, but it certainly appears that you only care about civility and treating the POTUS with respect now that Trump is no longer in office.  But don't feel too bad, you've got plenty of company in this regard.

Respect for the office does coincidentally flip flop with the political affiliation of the man in charge, yes.  I'm more amused that the GOP thinks disrespecting the president to his face is resume enough to enter politics. 

Disrespect for the potus isn't new, but it has taken a turn towards being cost of entry or simply essential to your affiliation now.  Left right or whatever, the bigger picture is that "the enemy" has now become your fellow Americans and providing aid and comfort to the enemy remains treasonous.  

It's less about wavering respect for the office, it's about decades of fear in politics becoming paranoia within our own borders.  It's as sad as it is typical, as i see it. 

What's the main policy of your political party?  F*** the other side!  Simple and memorable.  The marketing side of me hates to love how effective it all is. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 09:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: What about Deniro saying "F*&k Trump" twice at the Tony awards to a standing ovation?  What about Madonna talking about blowing up the White house?  What about Kathy Griffin holding up a facsimile of Trump's severed head?  What about Trump replacing Caesar in the Central Park rendition of Shakespeare?   What about a Trump look alike being shot in a Snoop Dog video?  What about Colbert referring to Trump's mouth as "Putin's cockholster?"  I don't recall you being sad about any of those, or the myriad other such, instances.

Honestly, to me, I really don't care about any of those instances. Free speech being what it is I have no objections to any of it. Respect for the office, to me, means things like standing when POTUS enters the room and waiting to sit (like you do for a judge, for instance) or recognizing the gravity of the office in certain dealings. I've met high ranking political figures from both major parties and some Libertarians, Greens, and independents. I've shaken hands with G. W. Bush and Al Gore. I've had long chats with Sen. Mark Warner, and I also discussed issues with his predecessor John Warner. I can respect the offices they held or hold and still say outright that George Bush ***** sucks.

I think what makes this particular instance so egregious to me is that the individual who did it didn't just post online or even write a letter. They interrupted a broadcast intended for children that was intended to help them bask in the magic of Christmas. That was honestly worse, to me, than any of your examples. The Tony's one comes the closest, but even it doesn't compare because of the intended audience. That, to me, is the biggest difference here.

The "Let's Go, Brandon" stuff is asinine. It's a meme at this point on the left as we laugh at the right-wingers thinking they are somehow pulling something over on us. We don't like Biden, either, we know what it means, we don't really care, it doesn't trigger anyone, we just kind of sigh at the stupidity and redundancy at this point. But if people want to keep on with it, they can feel free. Just choose the time and place better.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
To me it's less about ragging on the president and more about that being such a feather in the cap of some people.  It's always been around, but the amount of legitimizing it's being given is what makes it look like one of our two major parties (and the that has the easier path to power) has become so specifically geared towards the f*** the other side manta.

Songs, writings, speeches, jokes about the president being a dolt are nothing new.  John Denver and the Smothers Brothers would take shots at Nixon, so how badass could that be?  The part that amuses me is how telling the president to fudge himself can make you a national hero these days.  This has been really amped up in the Trump-era as I see it.  People can be jerks, I can be a jerk, but it's the idea that being a jerk is an accomplishment that hits my cynical bone.  

As I said, if I tell Ben Roethlisberger to go to hell would the Bengals give me a job in the front office?  Lordy, what we've become.

But it also drives home how effective "screw the other side" is as not a rallying cry, but a lynchpin policy of a major political party.  I was watching an interview where a non-Trump republican politician was saying that one of his go-to talking points over the years was "Our policies are so good, they even help the people who don't vote for us" and that in the current era he had to take that point out because it was now getting boos instead of cheers as it had before.

Maybe I'm going overboard drawing this call/situation into all this, but to me it's just a symptom of our dumbed-down political system.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 10:35 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Respect for the office does coincidentally flip flop with the political affiliation of the man in charge, yes.  I'm more amused that the GOP thinks disrespecting the president to his face is resume enough to enter politics. 

Disrespect for the potus isn't new, but it has taken a turn towards being cost of entry or simply essential to your affiliation now.  Left right or whatever, the bigger picture is that "the enemy" has now become your fellow Americans and providing aid and comfort to the enemy remains treasonous.  

It's less about wavering respect for the office, it's about decades of fear in politics becoming paranoia within our own borders.  It's as sad as it is typical, as i see it. 

What's the main policy of your political party?  F*** the other side!  Simple and memorable.  The marketing side of me hates to love how effective it all is. 

There's not a single thing in this post I can argue with.

(01-04-2022, 12:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, to me, I really don't care about any of those instances. Free speech being what it is I have no objections to any of it. Respect for the office, to me, means things like standing when POTUS enters the room and waiting to sit (like you do for a judge, for instance) or recognizing the gravity of the office in certain dealings. I've met high ranking political figures from both major parties and some Libertarians, Greens, and independents. I've shaken hands with G. W. Bush and Al Gore. I've had long chats with Sen. Mark Warner, and I also discussed issues with his predecessor John Warner. I can respect the offices they held or hold and still say outright that George Bush ***** sucks.

I don't care about them either, I just find the complete lack of consistency from some people on this issue to be highly amusing.

Quote:I think what makes this particular instance so egregious to me is that the individual who did it didn't just post online or even write a letter. They interrupted a broadcast intended for children that was intended to help them bask in the magic of Christmas. That was honestly worse, to me, than any of your examples. The Tony's one comes the closest, but even it doesn't compare because of the intended audience. That, to me, is the biggest difference here.

I can see that, but he didn't say "F Joe Biden", there was no profanity in what he said.

Quote:The "Let's Go, Brandon" stuff is asinine. It's a meme at this point on the left as we laugh at the right-wingers thinking they are somehow pulling something over on us. We don't like Biden, either, we know what it means, we don't really care, it doesn't trigger anyone, we just kind of sigh at the stupidity and redundancy at this point. But if people want to keep on with it, they can feel free. Just choose the time and place better.

I don't think anyone thinks they're pulling anything over, it's hardly a secret.  I think the reaction to it is why you keep seeing it.  CNN on its own is keeping it going with their insane takes on what it "actually means."
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 01:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I can see that, but he didn't say "F Joe Biden", there was no profanity in what he said.

I don't think anyone thinks they're pulling anything over, it's hardly a secret.  I think the reaction to it is why you keep seeing it.  CNN on its own is keeping it going with their insane takes on what it "actually means."

Here's the thing, though. As you yourself admit it isn't a secret. Everyone knows what it means. We have this discussion in Scouting from time to time because, you know, kids. If we use coded language that everyone knows what it really means it isn't any different than saying the words themselves. The message is still the same, the intent is still the same. I'm not even one to care about cursing around kids because I think the idea of "naughty words" is moronic, but replacing those words with known coded language does nothing to hide what is being said.

Also, my comments about it being hijacked has less to do with using the phrase and more to do with hijacking it at all. If some Biden boot-licker had got on there and been all slobbery with him I would have had a problem with it. Leave this sort of thing alone.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
The whole slogan is just an excuse to sell more merch to people who already have every piece of Trump swag released in the past 6 years.

Also funny how Joe "war on Christmas" Biden is telling people merry Christmas and the latest neo con hero is a dude who takes the opportunity to take the focus off the apparently endangered baby Jesus related holiday and put it upon himself.

Also, apparently Biden said there is a lot to be hopeful for in 2020, so that fits the dementia case better that this instance. If he runs in 2024 he should use his leftover Biden 1988 signs. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 12:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, to me, I really don't care about any of those instances. Free speech being what it is I have no objections to any of it. Respect for the office, to me, means things like standing when POTUS enters the room and waiting to sit (like you do for a judge, for instance) or recognizing the gravity of the office in certain dealings. I've met high ranking political figures from both major parties and some Libertarians, Greens, and independents. I've shaken hands with G. W. Bush and Al Gore. I've had long chats with Sen. Mark Warner, and I also discussed issues with his predecessor John Warner. I can respect the offices they held or hold and still say outright that George Bush ***** sucks.

I think what makes this particular instance so egregious to me is that the individual who did it didn't just post online or even write a letter. They interrupted a broadcast intended for children that was intended to help them bask in the magic of Christmas. That was honestly worse, to me, than any of your examples. The Tony's one comes the closest, but even it doesn't compare because of the intended audience. That, to me, is the biggest difference here.

Yes, the distinctive feature in this case is the venue, one goal of which was, as you say, to help children "bask in the magic of Christmas," but also to build inter-generational trust in and respect for our political system. This will be a topic of discussion at the child's school, and it think it worse than an instance of a parent cussing out a teacher or administrator before a class. 

As someone who works with children, you can obviously see/feel how such actions can affect children's trust in and respect for authority.

(01-04-2022, 12:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: To me it's less about ragging on the president and more about that being such a feather in the cap of some people.  It's always been around, but the amount of legitimizing it's being given is what makes it look like one of our two major parties (and the that has the easier path to power) has become so specifically geared towards the f*** the other side manta.

Songs, writings, speeches, jokes about the president being a dolt are nothing new.  John Denver and the Smothers Brothers would take shots at Nixon, so how badass could that be?  The part that amuses me is how telling the president to fudge himself can make you a national hero these days.  This has been really amped up in the Trump-era as I see it.  People can be jerks, I can be a jerk, but it's the idea that being a jerk is an accomplishment that hits my cynical bone.  ...

But it also drives home how effective "screw the other side" is as not a rallying cry, but a lynchpin policy of a major political party
.  I was watching an interview where a non-Trump republican politician was saying that one of his go-to talking points over the years was "Our policies are so good, they even help the people who don't vote for us" and that in the current era he had to take that point out because it was now getting boos instead of cheers as it had before.

Right, "both sides" aren't doing it.

What you say here expands my original point. Not only is it a bad thing that a parent can use the intimacy and trust of a child's national dialogue with the president to insult Biden, but also that becomes a "selling point" to the right, a notoriety that can attract political support.

This imports a kind of social breakdown quite different from celebrity "shots" at a president, which have been with us since John Adams.

Wonder how many of the "family values" camp are on board with this?
Reply/Quote
I saw my first "I did that" Biden sticker on a local gas pump a week ago.

I considered getting a pamphlet printed on how gas prices are determined and leaving them around the local stations but then I remembered that Trump supporters don't read.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 11:31 AM)GMDino Wrote: I saw my first "I did that" Biden sticker on a local gas pump a week ago.

I considered getting a pamphlet printed on how gas prices are determined and leaving them around the local stations but then I remembered that Trump supporters don't read.

Seen one of those over the holidays, which is hilarious because the gas prices were the lowest they'd been since the price dropout at the start of the pandemic.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 04:08 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Seen one of those over the holidays, which is hilarious because the gas prices were the lowest they'd been since the price dropout at the start of the pandemic.

I wonder if the geniuses that put them out will run around and tear them off if/when gas prices drop?   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote