Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Tennessee and pronouns
Just so you know, you shouldn't call roll the first day of school for fear of using the wrong pronouns.

http://diversity.utk.edu/2015/08/pronouns/

Quote:A few of the most common singular gender-neutral pronouns are they, them, their (used as singular), ze, hir, hirs, and xe, xem, xyr.

It's shit like this that makes it hard to feel THAT bad for people when they get called the wrong pronoun....
Most non CIS people are not going to be upset with a professor taking roll with the name they have listed on file with the school. They'll just correct them and move forward.

Not to mention I don't think I ever had a professor call roll ever.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
On the first couple days of school I will often mispronounce or misspell a kid's name. When they tell me I did so, I ask them "did you know who I was talking about?" They say yes, and I reply "good, then it doesn't matter, but I will take your objection into consideration." They usually just laugh.
(08-29-2015, 12:26 PM)Beaker Wrote: On the first couple days of school I will often mispronounce or misspell a kid's name. When they tell me I did so, I ask them "did you know who I was talking about?" They say yes, and I reply "good, then it doesn't matter, but I will take your objection into consideration." They usually just laugh.

I'm sure its not the only time they laugh at you.  Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-29-2015, 12:21 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Most non CIS people are not going to be upset with a professor taking roll with the name they have listed on file with the school. They'll just correct them and move forward.

I had a few. But it's just how the school feels a need to cover for themselves in case of a tumblr idiot makes me sad for this country

(08-29-2015, 12:26 PM)Beaker Wrote: On the first couple days of school I will often mispronounce or misspell a kid's name. When they tell me I did so, I ask them "did you know who I was talking about?" They say yes, and I reply "good, then it doesn't matter, but I will take your objection into consideration." They usually just laugh.

That's how it should be. 
(08-29-2015, 01:22 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: That's how it should be. 

Hmm, my last name is completely phonetic but has 10 letters and whenever I get a phone call and the person gets through one syllable of it and then mutters out the rest before trailing off (because I know they're looking for me, obviously) I know it's someone working with an auto-dialing overload of information who is probably reading it as he/she is attempting to pronounce it.  That is to say, I've never had anyone who was calling about anything important ask if Nathan Vanduerdldudlrerullmehwhocares is there.

I'll play devil's advocate here and say that usually people who can't be bothered to bow down and give pronunciation effort on the names of others are named "Chris Smith" or something to that effect.  Are you named Chris Smith?  Mark Johnson?  Phil Philmybutt?

I will admit that I was working with the PhD department of a university and my ability to keep the mostly-Asian names straight or even know the gender of the person based upon the name alone was nil. I didn't act like it was beneath me to try, though. I admit that I was god awful at it, though.
(08-29-2015, 12:00 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Just so you know, you shouldn't call roll the first day of school for fear of using the wrong pronouns.

It's shit like this that makes it hard to feel THAT bad for people when they get called the wrong pronoun....

Who comes up with this stuff?

I was brought up to be very respectful and years in the Military also added to this. I always say Ma'am and Sir. I don't even know how to pronounce XYR
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-29-2015, 03:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who comes up with this stuff?

I was brought up to be very respectful and years in the Military also added to this. I always say Ma'am and Sir. I don't even know how to pronounce XYR

I do the same.  Now at 45 I even end up calling people my own age sir and ma'am just out of respect.

But when someone says it to me I get confused because I forget I'm 45!  LOL!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-29-2015, 04:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: I do the same.  Now at 45 I even end up calling people my own age sir and ma'am just out of respect.

I don't think women like being called ma'am.  Ma'am sounds like some old, burned-out southern debutante ala that one slutty golden girl.
I thought I was pushing the envelope by saying Ms. instead of Miss or Mrs.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-29-2015, 04:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought I was pushing the envelope by saying Ms. instead of Miss or Mrs.

Hmm, that makes me finally realize after 30 years that Ms. Pac Man is more likely to be Pac Man's sister than his wife.  Er, right?  This is all so complicated and that's why I call everyone "Hey you!"
(08-29-2015, 03:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who comes up with this stuff?

(08-29-2015, 04:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: I do the same.  Now at 45 I even end up calling people my own age sir and ma'am just out of respect.

Sir and Ma'am are my go to pronouns as well. 

I still just can't see how someone could get offended by a pronoun. 
(08-29-2015, 05:51 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I still just can't see how someone could get offended by a pronoun. 

I understand why trans people get upset when someone repeatedly misgenders them, because at that point you're only doing it to offend. 

But someone using one of the new pronouns and identifying as agender probably shouldn't get worked up if someone isn't familiar with whatever pronoun was invented for them. 

(08-29-2015, 05:51 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote:  Sir and Ma'am are my go to pronouns as well. 

I still just can't see how someone could get offended by a pronoun. 
I know, right ?
What is next ?
Banning pronouns in the workplace ?
Rolleyes

(08-29-2015, 06:24 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I understand why trans people get upset when someone repeatedly misgenders them, because at that point you're only doing it to offend. 

But someone using one of the new pronouns and identifying as agender probably shouldn't get worked up if someone isn't familiar with whatever pronoun was invented for them. 

The sad thing is that the SJWs are never happy and will complain, no matter what.
What will happen next is people will be offended when the new pronouns are used, insisting that they are offended that someone is using the generic and not recognizing who/what they truly are.

*edit*
I do want to add that I believe that someone should be addressed, as they wish.
However, they cannot expect someone to just guess.
(08-29-2015, 09:00 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: *edit*
I do want to add that I believe that someone should be addressed, as they wish.
However, they cannot expect someone to just guess.

This is the key to me. If the wrong pronoun or something is used, then politely inform, and move on. If you are informed thusly, then be polite and address them as they wish.

It's called not being a dick. Pretty simple standard for life.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(08-29-2015, 12:21 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Most non CIS people are not going to be upset with a professor taking roll with the name they have listed on file with the school. They'll just correct them and move forward.

What is a CIS? A new cop drama on CBS?
(08-29-2015, 12:00 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Just so you know, you shouldn't call roll the first day of school for fear of using the wrong pronouns.

Jeebus ..... We really are being ran by morons. It's a pronoun. Why are we allowing people to be intimidated by a pronoun?

I stand by my own policy on pronoun usage. You get what you get unless you tell me specifically. And I'm not doing xe, xn, fx, Cis, 2 face, or whatever weird combo they came up with

You get a sir, ma'am, buddy, dude, bro, he, she, he/she. Or just a name.
(08-30-2015, 01:39 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Jeebus ..... We really are being ran by morons.   It's a pronoun.   Why are we allowing people to be intimidated by a pronoun?  

I stand by my own policy on pronoun usage.   You get what you get unless you tell me specifically.   And I'm not doing xe, xn, fx, Cis, 2 face, or whatever weird combo they came up with

You get a sir, ma'am, buddy, dude, bro, he, she, he/she.   Or just a name.

Ma'am, I'm going to need you to calm down, please.
(08-30-2015, 11:03 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Ma'am, I'm going to need you to calm down, please.

Hey, buddy, she can be as out of control as she wants to be.

(08-30-2015, 11:25 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Hey, buddy, she can be as out of control as she wants to be.

No he/she'in lol