Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unleashing Joe Burrow
(09-24-2021, 12:55 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: New coaches in SD. Heard they aren't going deep on first or second down much this year while doing it a lot last year. 

Dunno about when, but he's only throwing, on average, 1 less deep ball per game. He was very good last year with 12 tds and 3 picks but his rating was only a little better last year overall. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2021, 07:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Burrow is a peacock, man. You gotta let him fly.

[Image: peacock-let-me-fly.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2021, 12:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wonder what changed… Ninja

AJ Green is Arizona instead of half heartedly running routes in Cincinnati and not making effort. That is my best guess for the majority of the improvement.   Tongue

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I agree you have to take the chains off and let Burrow play. Just add in that you will not be running empty backfield because it causes too many protection issues.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2021, 10:52 PM)Joelist Wrote: I agree you have to take the chains off and let Burrow play. Just add in that you will not be running empty backfield because it causes too many protection issues.

But empty is what Burrow wants, remember he has hand prints on this offense 
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2021, 10:12 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: AJ Green is Arizona instead of half heartedly running routes in Cincinnati and not making effort. That is my best guess for the majority of the improvement.   Tongue

That’s what you call a night and day difference…

Reply/Quote
I’ll always like AJ Green. However, like that Turkish prostitute I visited who loved tongue-kissing and Ottoman fast food, he left a bad taste in my mouth.

If you’ve watched the first 2 games, you understand there are legitimate issues with the play calling as well as the OL. A layperson (which, coincidentally, is how I used to refer to Turkish prostitutes) might think B is the sole and exclusive cause of A, but it’s as false as her claim that the sidekick she brought along to smooch with me before she did was called a “Royal Taster.” Zac has no instinct for calling plays. It’s something good offensive coaches have. He doesn’t. Burrow IS part of the problem, though. He’s taken a lot of sacks this season, and probably 60% of them could have been avoided with an audible or quicker decision making. Which both could have helped me avoid this STD the Drs call the constantinople cough, which soon morphs into the istanbul itch.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2021, 09:44 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I’ll always like AJ Green. However, like that Turkish prostitute I visited who loved tongue-kissing and Ottoman fast food, he left a bad taste in my mouth.

If you’ve watched the first 2 games, you understand there are legitimate issues with the play calling as well as the OL. A layperson (which, coincidentally, is how I used to refer to Turkish prostitutes) might think B is the sole and exclusive cause of A, but it’s as false as her claim that the sidekick she brought along to smooch with me before she did was called a “Royal Taster.” Zac has no instinct for calling plays. It’s something good offensive coaches have. He doesn’t. Burrow IS part of the problem, though. He’s taken a lot of sacks this season, and probably 60% of them could have been avoided with an audible or quicker decision making. Which both could have helped me avoid this STD the Drs call the constantinople cough, which soon morphs into the istanbul itch.

This is Message Board HoF material! Let’s hope the Istanbul Itch doesn’t morph into the Bosporus Burn.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2021, 10:03 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes I was!  I’m not saying pass on every play; far from it.  

I’m saying when Joe Burrow DOES drop back to throw he looks deep first.  As for the pass vs. run debate I still like to see more runs than passes.  Attempting 40+ passes is not advisable unless a team is WAY behind.  

“Slinging the ball all over the field” only works when the opposing defense respects the run.  If a defense has no idea what’s coming they’ll have to hedge their bets and protect against both pass and run.  Against the Bears it was hard to throw because they knew a pass was coming and this brings me to another point: The empty backfield.  I don’t think that’s a good fit in Cincinnati at this point.

While I agree with what you are saying in principle, the teams that have the "worst" run/pass balance in the league are three of the best teams in the league.  Tampa, LA, and I forget the third.  Maybe Green Bay?  It can be a useless stat as pitt was last in the league last year in the same measure (I refuse to refer to them as one of the best teams) but they had so many screens (led the NFL) that it was really an extension of their run game, and got the added benefit of padding the fat pig's stats.  

Right now, my biggest concern is scheme/design.  The short passes are low %, highly contested.  The run plays are not being executed well at all, even in defenses where they are NOT stacking the box.  

Where are the crossing routes?  The screens?  The misdirection?  It really disappeared week 2.  Coaches have to do a much better job this week.  Season feels like it is hinging on this game.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2021, 10:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I agree with what you are saying in principle, the teams that have the "worst" run/pass balance in the league are three of the best teams in the league.  Tampa, LA, and I forget the third.  Maybe Green Bay?  It can be a useless stat as pitt was last in the league last year in the same measure (I refuse to refer to them as one of the best teams) but they had so many screens (led the NFL) that it was really an extension of their run game, and got the added benefit of padding the fat pig's stats.  

Right now, my biggest concern is scheme/design.  The short passes are low %, highly contested.  The run plays are not being executed well at all, even in defenses where they are NOT stacking the box.  

Where are the crossing routes?  The screens?  The misdirection?  It really disappeared week 2.  Coaches have to do a much better job this week.  Season feels like it is hinging on this game.

This is an outstanding point you make — as usual — but what many people forget is Green Bay, Tampa Bay, and the Rams have three of the best offensive lines in football and they all have competent offensive coordinators too. Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Matthew Stafford are in good hands. Joe Burrow is a sitting duck.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2021, 10:33 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is an outstanding point you make — as usual — but what many people forget is Green Bay, Tampa Bay, and the Rams have three of the best offensive lines in football and they all have competent offensive coordinators too.  Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Matthew Stafford are in good hands.  Joe Burrow is a sitting duck.

Thanks, bud.  

And although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once, I am no offensive coordinator.  

I do, however, see certain traits in the best offenses, and I have tried to get clarification as to why the Bengals don't do more of this, and it is exactly what you are eluding to about those teams.  Is it really their talent on the offensive line???  Dak Prescott does this as well.  

Maybe so, but here goes:  Watch those QBs when they take the snap in shotgun.  They immediately take ANOTHER two to three steps BACK.  Burrow's shotgun snap seems to be VERY close to the line of scrimmage.  You may say this is where the pocket is but he doesn't have the throwing lanes and has to use more of his peripheral vision to see the rush coming.   Brady isn't the most athletic guy, but he moves around the pocket so well because he has become so accustomed to seeing it coming from in front of him.  He can slide around and has room to step up.

In summary, watch how short Burrow's drops are vs. the other QBs and teams we are discussion.  I know some will say:  That is a short drop designed to get the ball out quick.  Great.  I get it, but if there isn't an option, he is screwed.  A deeper drop can still get him plenty of time to make that quick read and get the ball out, but would afford him more room to navigate and have more options with more time to get open.

A lot of the smaller QBs do this as well, like Wilson and Murray, or they move the pocket because they throw so well on the run.  

Joe can do this as well, as long as it is done on occasion as it does shut down half the field, really.  

I just want him to have more room to see it coming from in front, and also more time to scope the field.  He did this at LSU.  I don't know why he is so shallow on this offense, but if it is out of fear of poor protection, it seems you are bringing him closer to the threat, not further away.  
Reply/Quote