Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Unmistakable Message
I know nothing about this website or the author, but I agree with the majority of his article. 

http://fansided.com/2017/02/20/nfl-free-agency-2017-adrian-peterson-tony-romo/

Here's a part of it:

"In the coming weeks, the Bengals will have Kevin Zeitler, Andrew Whitworth and Domata Peko hitting the market. The first two players in particular will be drawing substantial interest, forcing Cincinnati to either open the checkbook or lose two critical pieces of the offensive line. In Zeitler’s case, he was a first-round selection and has become a top-notch guard in the league."

"Letting him walk sends a clear, unmistakable message. The Bengals are not about winning."

In my humble opinion the time is now if our core of good players is going to have any chance of seeing a Lombardi ! We do not have the time to continue "building" thru the draft. We need a couple upper tier FA's, three wouldn't hurt.

The window is going to shut sooner rather than later !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well most of us have long accused Mikey boy of being more interested in money than winning. Now I give him credit for some moves such as Carson, geno, aj, etc. not resigning Nelson may have been year too early vs too late. Plus we were making room for Iloka and Williams.

And I get not over valuing some positions. But it's the constant parade of has beens that piss me off. It's letting someone like Zeitler walk and not reinvesting that money somewhere that pisses me off.

Owning an nfl franchise is damn near a license to print money. He could spend the whole cap yearly and still turn a nice profit. And improve his image. I don't think he cares about that though.
Reply/Quote
Well, it is Fansided.  Pretty much any one of us, that happened to pass 6th grade English, and could manage to string a few consecutive thoughts together in a logical manner, could also be a contributor to their site.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, there isn't.  I feel like it gives regular Joes their shot at being a sportswriter.  On the other hand, young and easily influenced fans could read some of those articles and mistake it for actual, professional sports media.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 08:59 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Well most of us have long accused Mikey boy of being more interested in money than winning.  Now I give him credit for some moves such as Carson, geno, aj, etc.  not resigning Nelson may have been  year too early vs too late.  Plus we were making room for Iloka and Williams.  

And I get not over valuing some positions.  But it's the constant parade of has beens that piss me off.  It's letting someone like Zeitler walk and not reinvesting that money somewhere that pisses me off.

Owning an nfl franchise is damn near a license to print money.  He could spend the whole cap yearly and still turn a nice profit.  And improve his image.  I don't think he cares about that though.

I don't think he gives a damn about his image, the public perception, or what anybody thinks. He's about making him and his family money hand over fist.

I hear a lot of people saying - Mike wants to win. I call BS ! Mike likes to win, if he can do it his way and on a budget.

I honestly feel he could care less about winning the super bowl. He wins the lottery every day, he's good.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 09:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, it is Fansided.  Pretty much any one of us, that happened to pass 6th grade English, and could manage to string a few consecutive thoughts together in a logical manner, could also be a contributor to their site.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, there isn't.  I feel like it gives regular Joes their shot at being a sportswriter.  On the other hand, young and easily influenced fans could read some of those articles and mistake it for actual, professional sports media.

Oh I agree,

I'm in no way trying to tout this article as being from a pro, journalist, football insider or anything else. Just happened upon it and was like wow. He took the words right out of my mouth.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 09:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I agree,

I'm in no way trying to tout this article as being from a pro, journalist, football insider or anything else. Just happened upon it and was like wow. He took the words right out of my mouth.

Oh yes, he's saying what many of us are thinking and feeling.  Heck, the author could be one of any of us on this board.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 10:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh yes, he's saying what many of us are thinking and feeling.  Heck, the author could be one of any of us on this board.

It wasn't me.
Reply/Quote
Letting Z go is a blow, but we are prepared for it. Now what will they do with the extra money? Not counting Dre and Whit (which we'll have no excuse but to sign), but will they spend the money they felt was too rich for Z on someone other than Peko, Hunt, Lafell, and Winston?

If they don't then indeed MB isn't interested in winning any championship.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I'm sad to say I agree with this.

It looks like we're getting PacMan back – like it or not. They've got the money to bring back all 3 starters, don't they?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 08:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: "Letting him walk sends a clear, unmistakable message. The Bengals are not about winning."

The first mistake is someone thinking their opinion is fact. Anytime someone quantifies their opinion with "unmistakable" I disregard their opinion.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 10:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: Letting Z go is a blow, but we are prepared for it. Now what will they do with the extra money? Not counting Dre and Whit (which we'll have no excuse but to sign), but will they spend the money they felt was too rich for Z on someone other than Peko, Hunt, Lafell, and Winston?

(02-21-2017, 10:24 AM)Au165 Wrote: The first mistake is someone thinking their opinion is fact. Anytime someone quantifies their opinion with "unmistakable" I disregard their opinion.

Unless they do exactly what jj says above, which is certainly not out of the realm of possibility considering these clowns.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 10:32 AM)Wyche Wrote: Unless they do exactly what jj says above, which is certainly not out of the realm of possibility considering these clowns.

Once again, I don't throw around statements judging others intent haphazardly. Saying any owner "doesn't want to win" is presumptive and probably off base. If we didn't want to win we wouldn't resign anyone, which is why I caution people from saying hyperbolic things like that. Saying we want to win "our way" is probably more appropriate. Will it work? History doesn't favor it, but at the same time we have still found success in it so who knows.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 10:45 AM)Au165 Wrote: Once again, I don't throw around statements judging others intent haphazardly. Saying any owner "doesn't want to win" is presumptive and probably off base. If we didn't want to win we wouldn't resign anyone, which is why I caution people from saying hyperbolic things like that. Saying we want to win "our way" is probably more appropriate. Will it work? History doesn't favor it, but at the same time we have still found success in it so who knows.

I agree with that....or saying they don't want to win at all costs is a better way to put it.....winning seems to be more of a favorable byproduct than a top priority.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 11:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with that....or saying they don't want to win at all costs is a better way to put it.....winning seems to be more of a favorable byproduct than a top priority.

Pretty much.  No new HC.  No changes at the coordinator spots.  Trying to fix Hill. Leaking talent like a sieve on the o-line.  No desire to add free agents.  No effort to remove a disgrace like Adam Jones.  They are doing absolutely nothing.  I guess luck is just thenumber 1 factor for this team when it comes to their philosophy on winning.  We should all buy rabbit's feet.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 10:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: Letting Z go is a blow, but we are prepared for it. Now what will they do with the extra money? Not counting Dre and Whit (which we'll have no excuse but to sign), but will they spend the money they felt was too rich for Z on someone other than Peko, Hunt, Lafell, and Winston?

Explain how we are prepared to let Z walk?  We were "prepared" to let Andre walk and look where that got us.

We are nowhere near prepared to let Z walk because we have no idea if we have anyone who can play his spot.  
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 11:57 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: We are nowhere near prepared to let Z walk because we have no idea if we have anyone who can play his spot.  

No one knows if a player can play until they play. The only ones remotely equipped to do that are the coaches who see them in practice.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 12:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: No one knows if a player can play until they play. The only ones remotely equipped to do that are the coaches who see them in practice.

Exactly.  They thought that they had it covered without seeing Ced play a damn down of football.

Now we are going to do the same with Westerman?  No thanks.  Worst case we should franchise Zeitler.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 12:28 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Exactly.  They thought that they had it covered without seeing Ced play a damn down of football.

Now we are going to do the same with Westerman?  No thanks.  Worst case we should franchise Zeitler.

I think he meant us fans are prepared.  Everyone knows the team isn't prepared for that, it usually doesn't stop them from saving money.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 12:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think he meant us fans are prepared.  Everyone knows the team isn't prepared for that, it usually doesn't stop them from saving money.

I get it - and I agree.

I wouldn't care so much about letting a guy like Z walk if I knew the team would go out and find a replacement, but they won't pay anyone worth a shit to come here.

If you are committed to keeping your own - you need to pay your own.  We have plenty of money.  I'm not going to jump to any conclusions until they actually leave.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 10:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh yes, he's saying what many of us are thinking and feeling.  Heck, the author could be one of any of us on this board.

It was me  Hilarious
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote