Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unplugged
Finally did it.  I finally got rid of Direct TV last night.  Got tired of paying the $130 a month.  Anyone got any insight into alternative ways of watching television?  Someone at my wife's work mentioned something about Sling TV?  I've got an older Blu Ray player, but I don't think it comes with Sling.  It has Netflix, which we already watch sometimes.  And Hulu, which we just ordered this morning.  How would I get this Sling TV?  Is it worth the cost?  What's other ways of streaming tv? 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Apple TV. I think it's a little under $200 for the device.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Get a Roku 2 or 3. Sling comes on it, and it costs $90 or so. Sling is $20 a month, and comes with most of the channels that you'd watch on direct TV. You can upgrade to sports or movie packages for a little more.

Sling TV is the shit. Hell you can probably put it on your phone too. I did.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I had Sling for awhile.  It worked fine for me, but a lot of people complain about it freezing or just not working during popular shows like "The Walking Dead". I'm using Playstation Vue now, which I like. The interface is better, in my opinion, and I think the picture quality is better. It is a tad more expensive than Sling, though.
Reply/Quote
How does Sling, or its equivalents work on multiple sets?  I have four sets that are watched quite a bit....do you get satellite boxes for each tv, or what?  Thanks for any input, I'm looking at doing this myself.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I need to figure out how to get my regular tv channels.  ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. I think I just need to get a digital converter box.  And then to get a few extra "cable" channels I think I'm going to go get a Roku stick and order Sling off it.  My tv is a little older and I'm not sure it comes with a USB port.  Do you know if they have some kind of HDMI adapter to plug into the tv and then plug the other end into the Roku stick?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 03:08 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I need to figure out how to get my regular tv channels.  ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. I think I just need to get a digital converter box.  And then to get a few extra "cable" channels I think I'm going to go get a Roku stick and order Sling off it.  My tv is a little older and I'm not sure it comes with a USB port.  Do you know if they have some kind of HDMI adapter to plug into the tv and then plug the other end into the Roku stick?

A digital antenna uses a regular 75 ohm cable to connect to your TV. I bought the best HH Greg offered for ~$100. It works great for me in the Cincinnati market, providing 45 channels (mostly HD) for all the networks like ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, Fox, CW and a myriad of independents. I use my Bluray player to stream Netflix (and HULU when I had it). The only thing I will miss are the UK basketball games broadcast on ESPN, for which I will either go to my neighborhood pub to watch or go to ROKU or Sling for a sports package. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 02:59 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Finally did it.  I finally got rid of Direct TV last night.  Got tired of paying the $130 a month.  Anyone got any insight into alternative ways of watching television?  Someone at my wife's work mentioned something about Sling TV?  I've got an older Blu Ray player, but I don't think it comes with Sling.  It has Netflix, which we already watch sometimes.  And Hulu, which we just ordered this morning.  How would I get this Sling TV?  Is it worth the cost?  What's other ways of streaming tv? 

I have had an antenna that gets me about 60 channels for the last 2 years or so. I let Netflix lapse, but might renew it soon. I don't think you will have any regrets Hawk. Congratulations! 
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 03:03 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: How does Sling, or its equivalents work on multiple sets?  I have four sets that are watched quite a bit....do you get satellite boxes for each tv, or what?  Thanks for any input, I'm looking at doing this myself.
You just need a fire stick, Roku 2 or 3, or a smart TV that comes with it. I'm sure you can add it to your phone as well. You can download it on your computer too. Here's the catch... It can only be viewed on one device at a time. Things like MNF won't work on your phone on ESPN though. It does on TV, computer, tablet... Anything else.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 08:56 PM)jason Wrote: You just need a fire stick, Roku 2 or 3, or a smart TV that comes with it. I'm sure you can add it to your phone as well. You can download it on your computer too. Here's the catch... It can only be viewed on one device at a time. Things like MNF won't work on your phone on ESPN though. It does on TV, computer, tablet... Anything else.

Gotcha, it's those deals that go in the USB ports, as BengalHawk mentioned.....but it won't work on all of my sets.  I need to come up with a way to broadcast to all TVs, and just update a couple of sets.  I wonder if a person could use a wireless router and some wireless adapters?  I'm sure someone would have already figured that out if that were the case.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'm staying with DirecTv and paying the high price because, well.......I'm stubborn. (Or stupid.)
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2016, 03:23 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I'm staying with DirecTv and paying the high price because, well.......I'm stubborn.  (Or stupid.)

Ditto. I like having the option of over 300 channels. Even if i don't watch 98% of them most times. Big Grin

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
When I was a young kid, we didn't have no Sling or NetFlix or Blu Ray to watch. We watched dirt. And if the dirt moved, then you know there was something crawling around underneath it. So you squished it with a rock. Then you'd find someone younger than you to feed it to see if it was edible.

Come to think of it, I'm happier now with NetFlix. ThumbsUp
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 03:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: How does Sling, or its equivalents work on multiple sets?  I have four sets that are watched quite a bit....do you get satellite boxes for each tv, or what?  Thanks for any input, I'm looking at doing this myself.

We just switched to Sling TV and so far so good. It's supposedly good for up to six media venue's per subscription be it TV or computer.
Reply/Quote