Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Up Next - San Francisco 49ers
Despite only winning 4 games last year the Niners had the #16 offense (without their starting QB) and #13 defense.

Niners had some issues at LB last year so in the offseason they added 25 year-old Pro Bowler Kwon Alexander and 28 year-old Pro Bowler Dee Ford. They also added the #2 pick in the draft DE Nick Bosa.

I did not see Garoppola las week, but I have watched him a good bit in the past (have a nephew who is a big Niners fan), and he looks like the real deal at QB. He has a 96.1 career passer rating and is 9-2 as a starter.

This will be a tough game.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 11:48 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Can't say I've watched a lot of the 49ers over the last few years, lol.

Understandable the one Niner game I watched last year I was like who the hell is this Kittle guy?

He is damn good, big, fast with great hands.

(09-11-2019, 09:13 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Last year Wink

Buckner and he's a DT.

Their rushers are Ford and Bosa, with Armstead coming in every 4th or 5th play (normally plays DT next to Buckner).

If you run to Bosa's side, it will help offset his pass rush and help with our success running, as I don't feel he's a stud in the run game yet (but he will be).

Good stuff Truck, sounds like a plan, run it to Bosa's side and tire him out.

(09-11-2019, 09:48 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

Run right at him early and keep it up often. Run a draw his way, couple screens to his side. Don't let him get comfortable teeing off on the blitz

Yes sir.
Reply/Quote
Not sure why you guys are making a big deal.

Zach played SF 2 times a year for the last couple of years, so I'm sure he has an idea how SF works, and McVay can always give him some tips. Nothing like a double win, helping a friend who's a new coach to beat your division rivals.

SF Defense didn't look so good. Winston is just that bad. Seattle's Def is much better.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 03:20 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Not sure why you guys are making a big deal.

Zach played SF 2 times a year for the last couple of years, so I'm sure he has an idea how SF works, and McVay can always give him some tips. Nothing like a double win, helping a friend who's a new coach to beat your division rivals.

SF Defense didn't look so good. Winston is just that bad. Seattle's Def is much better.

I'm not that worried to be honest. It's been a while since Garrapolo has been all that good regardless of what his career numbers are.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 03:37 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I'm not that worried to be honest. It's been a while since Garrapolo has been all that good regardless of what his career numbers are.

His last two games before getting injured last year he completed 68% of his passes, had 457 yards, 4 tds, and 0 ints for a 116.4 rating.

Garoppolo really impressed me against the Titans in 2017.  Titans score with a minute left to take the lead, but Jimmy brought the Niners all the way back for a game winning FG on the final play.  That game had 4 lead changes in the fourth quarter, and Garoppolo finished 31-43, 381 yds, 1 td, 0 int, 106.8 rating.

Earlier that year I watched the end of the Chicago game where he was 5-6 (including a big 33 yard strike on 3rd and 9) on an 86 yard drive that ended with a game winning FG on the last play of the game.

He looked like a seasoned vet instead of a guy with just a few starts under his belt.

**I am not claiming I remembered all of these stats.  I just remembered seeing those games.  I had to look up the exact details.**
Reply/Quote
Here is Lap's take on 49ers game...Sounds worried about Kittle...

[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Just remember that Austin's awful defense got 4 picks off of the human turnover machine last season. So getting turnovers off of Jameis Winston is not a rare event.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 12:18 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: New coach may trigger an interest in some that had quit going. It'll be interesting to see. 

An inside source told me in August season tickets were down again. This time 14%. It is 3rd year in a row they are down double digits. So, they saw it coming and offered added more deal packs.

My guess is will be worse than 2018, but you never know. ZT will need wins to gets the stands full. Great effort to start, but still a loss last week.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 05:05 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: An inside source told me in August season tickets were down again. This time 14%. It is 3rd year in a row they are down double digits. So, they saw it coming and offered added more deal packs.

My guess is will be worse than 2018, but you never know. ZT will need wins to gets the stands full. Great effort to start, but still a loss last week.

Season ticket sales are important to the team but if they keep winning, the game to game sales should start to rise. 

And i'm sure there are a number of people (i used to be one back in the day) who hit up the scalpers right before the game and get some seats dirt cheap as they try to unload them. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 05:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Season ticket sales are important to the team but if they keep winning, the game to game sales should start to rise. 

And i'm sure there are a number of people (i used to be one back in the day) who hit up the scalpers right before the game and get some seats dirt cheap as they try to unload them. 

Hmmm....I left because they kept losing including some real stinkers at home against the Ravens, Texans and of course Steelers.

They lost last week too, close but no cigar.

They need to consistently start winning again. Hopefully they can beat a weak SF team and start that winning streak so the fill the house again.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 12:34 AM)NKURyan Wrote: The 49ers are coming off of a 31-17 win against Tampa Bay.

Offensively, they struggled: Garoppolo was 18/27 for 166 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT. They seemed to have a rushing-by-committee approach, ultimately tallying 98 yards on 32 carries. George Kittle (?) was their leading receiver, with 8 catches on 10 targets for 54 yards. A quick look at the box score shows that they don't have a lot of big name players.

Defensively they created 4 turnovers - 3 INTs and 1 fumble recovery - despite being historically bad at takeaways last season (only 7 all year). They held Jameis Winston in check (big whoop) but did allow 121 rushing yards on 26 carries. They did turn two of the INTs into return TDs, and they had 3 sacks on the day.

Robbie Gould is their kicker and went 3/4 on the day.

They look to have a good D, and they have that good TE. 
Still, it's not as hard as At Seattle.  Not an easy win. No such thing for rebuilding last place team, but not as hard as At Seattle.  Unless the Bengals Fans decide to be Boo Birds and are worse than an away game, which has happened. 

GO BENGALS.....NEW DEY HOME OPENER.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 05:05 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: ZT will need wins to gets the stands full. Great effort to start, but still a loss last week.

He's acknowledged as much, as well.
Reply/Quote
Hmm.. I actually think this is tougher than Seattle. We are all excited about how the potential of our offense, and the 49ers are equal there, just didn’t have the best week. They can light you up, and Shanahan is one of the best play callers out there.

They have a much better defense than we have.. I see a 24-13/31-13 win 49ers in this one. And lots of Kittle action.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 01:15 AM)thillan Wrote: Hmm.. I actually think this is tougher than Seattle. We are all excited about how the potential of our offense, and the 49ers are equal there, just didn’t have the best week. They can light you up, and Shanahan is one of the best play callers out there.

They have a much better defense than we have.. I see a 24-13/31-13 win 49ers in this one. And lots of Kittle action.

Tougher than going into one of hardest stadiums to win in, and beat a team that hasn’t last a home opener in like a decade? Have to disagree on that one.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 01:15 AM)thillan Wrote: Hmm.. I actually think this is tougher than Seattle. We are all excited about how the potential of our offense, and the 49ers are equal there, just didn’t have the best week. They can light you up, and Shanahan is one of the best play callers out there.

I just watched the 49ers/Bucs game and they are not that great. Tampa got a lot of push on their D line and Winston had time to throw and he doesn't get the ball out nearly as fast as Dalton does--nor does he have the talent Dalton has to throw to. The niners offense isn't nearly as good as the Seahawks is, other than Kittle. It was a 23-17 game towards the end and Winston threw a pick 6 (his 2nd of the game) to seal the deal. 

Bengals are currently a 2 to 2.5 pt favorite but home teams generally get 3, so it's a pick 'em game on paper. 

49ers are 1-9 SU and 3-7 ATS in their last 10 September road games.
Bengals are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 September home games. 

Bengals are 3-1 at home against the NFC West in the Dalton era. The loss being game 3 of his rookie year in Harbaugh's 1st season there. 
49ers haven't started 2-0 since 2012. 
Dalton is 0-1 vs the 49ers. Didn't play in the win in SF in '15 due to injury.
Bengals are 4-11 all time vs SF. 3-2 in the last 5 since '99.
49ers are 6-11 in September road games since 2011 (including the opener this year).
Bengals are 8-4 in September home games since 2011.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

It's not as tough as At Seattle.  Some of you Bengys just don't get how tough At Seattle is.  They almost never lose in Seattle.  One of the great home field advantages in football.  Teams are almost flying to Alaska to play in one of the loudest crowd snake pits in all sports against what is always a tough defense and a good team. Almost nobody comes out of Seattle with a road win, rarely happens.  

That said, I agree that there is no such thing as an easy win for a last place rebuilding team.  49ers have a good D and they have that TE.  Still, I'm hoping Bengals can come out winning their Home Opener.  

In adding Ross to Fantasy Teams, I noticed Boyd numbers were down.  He started good.  I wonder if Seattle put all the coverage on Boyd that Green often gets, and THAT is what freed up Ross to destroy less coverage on him.  We saw some Eifert catches with Uzomah the main TE.   Also some catches by others.  Bernard helped.  

I liked that the O Line was good enough that Bengals had almost no 3 and outs and almost no O Line penalties.   No running lanes yet, but they did other things right.  They will not be a dominate O Line any time soon.  The hope is they can be good enough.  Dalton played a great game making quick reads and quick passes and THAT helped the O Line greatly.  His 400 yards passing made up for no running game at all.

The Bengals D showed promise last week.  The D was dominating forcing Seattle to have the 3 and outs most of game. The sacks combined with run stops was impressive. Let's not even talk 2018 D, but instead flush the Marvin stuff down the toilet in NEW DEY.

Hoping NEW DEY wins Home Opener and 1st Non Marvin win in decades.  GO BENGALS.   If they play 4 quarters of good hard football like they did in Seattle, they have a chance to win at home in Cincy.   

Oh Yes,  Bengals still owe that San Francisco 49ers franchise for all the big game losses they hung on us in the 1980's. 2 Super Bowls plus some big regular season losses.  Old Fans like me will be fired up the moment we see the pumpkin helmets on the same field with the 49er Gold helmets as in Super Bowls. I know that's not Bill Walsh, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Hacksaw Reynolds and Ronnie Lott out there, but it's still the pumpkin heads vs the 49er gold heads. We owe 49ers a loss all these decades later. Those Super Bowl losses hurt. Coach Taylor winning his first Home Game. Much to ROOT FOR....GO BENGALS.

Just like Seattle, Coach Taylor of Rams has scouted 49ers twice a year. That seemed to have him will prepared for Seattle and hopefully prepared again knowing the 49ers pretty good.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 02:11 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I just watched the 49ers/Bucs game and they are not that great. Tampa got a lot of push on their D line and Winston had time to throw and he doesn't get the ball out nearly as fast as Dalton does--nor does he have the talent Dalton has to throw to. The niners offense isn't nearly as good as the Seahawks is, other than Kittle. It was a 23-17 game towards the end and Winston threw a pick 6 (his 2nd of the game) to seal the deal. 

Bengals are currently a 2 to 2.5 pt favorite but home teams generally get 3, so it's a pick 'em game on paper. 

Bengals are 3-1 at home against the NFC West in the Dalton era. The loss being game 3 of his rookie year in Harbaugh's 1st season there. 
49ers are 6-11 in September road games since 2011 (including the opener this year).

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 01:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tougher than going into one of hardest stadiums to win in, and beat a team that hasn’t last a home opener in like a decade? Have to disagree on that one.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m well aware of Seattle’s dominance there. But, and I am asking this honestly, do you really feel like it affected us that much? I don’t. And I think that Seattle only won that game because of defensive mistakes towards the end.

The 49ers, IMO, are underrated right now though. I understand they didn’t look their best against Tampa, but it’s week 1. Many have us pegged for 3-4 wins this year, so people are wondering the same about us. I just think the matchups are too difficult in this one, and Kittle could bully our LB unit over the middle.

Hope I’m wrong.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 02:11 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I just watched the 49ers/Bucs game and they are not that great. Tampa got a lot of push on their D line and Winston had time to throw and he doesn't get the ball out nearly as fast as Dalton does--nor does he have the talent Dalton has to throw to. The niners offense isn't nearly as good as the Seahawks is, other than Kittle. It was a 23-17 game towards the end and Winston threw a pick 6 (his 2nd of the game) to seal the deal. 

Thanks for info

I would add this is back to back West Coast to East (3.5 to 4 hour flight) for 49ers as well.

Teams who played back to back road game did not fare well the second week in the past.

Reply/Quote

You left out the most important stat. 0-2 in the SB....   Cry
Reply/Quote