Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Up Next - San Francisco 49ers
(09-12-2019, 04:11 AM)Adamantium Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

Dammit. You just caused me to sit and stare at that for a good 10 minutes.

Loooove the movie, btw.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Over the previous 7 years the Seahawks had only lost 11 home games in the regular season. Only the Pats were better (8 loses).

And they are the only NFL team (with more than 2 home games) to be undefeated at home in the postseason (5-0) over that span.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 11:17 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Thanks for info

I would add this is back to back West Coast to East (3.5 to 4 hour flight) for 49ers as well.

Teams who played back to back road game did not fare well the second week in the past.

I checked that out and they've actually done it 3 times recently. 2011, 2013 and 2014 (all under Harbaugh)--back to back road wins East of the Mississippi. They had better teams then, but like you said, it is hard to do. 

In the Pete Carroll era, Seattle has failed to do it in several attempts and 2018 Rams failed to do it last year. 
The Chargers haven't done it since 2011 (that's as far back as i went). 

So the 49ers are an outlier and they did it with one coach who is long gone.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 11:24 AM)sandwedge Wrote: You left out the most important stat. 0-2 in the SB....   Cry

Stop it!  Rant

Reply/Quote
Expect conditioning to come into play as it's going to be a hot one on Sunday. Look for our defensive line rotation to potentially take over the game late.
Reply/Quote
Hey guys,

Niner fan here. No smack talk....just read a number of things in this thread so attempting as non-homerish a scouting report as I could muster. :)

1) Garoppolo: He seems a bit rusty coming off the ACL. People forget that the dude has only started 11 NFL games. He is 9-2 over that span, but he is an inexperienced QB. There is no question tho that he was really rusty in week 1. He was throwing high and behind on several throws (which isn't normal for him) and in his tenure as a 49er he always has ONE WTF throw (which IS normal for him) where you just have no idea what he's thinking. That was the pick 6 vs Tampa. Usually though, he makes a few "WOW" plays that make up for it. Not so much in Tampa tho. He was consistently so-so all day. Will that continue or does he break out? Dunno.

I think he's going to be really good later in the year, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he continues to struggle vs the Bengals as he knocks off the rust and plays through the injury mentally.

It should be noted tho that the 49ers actually had THREE TDs called back on penalty, including two TDs from Garoppolo to Kittle.

2) D-Line: The D-Line SHOULD be dominant, and I don't mean specifically in this game so its not an indictment of the Cincy O-Line. They have FIVE first round picks on the line. Dee Ford had 13 sacks last year and looked FAST in week 1. Bosa is still hampered a bit by a high ankle sprain that happened in camp, but that dude is for real. He isn't fast moving around, but he can make a tackle look foolish in a hurry. Buckner is a DT and had 12 sacks last year. Armstead has usually looked good for a few games and then always ends up injured. He's not much of a pass-rusher, but the dude can dominate with power when he's healthy. He also had a good game in Tampa.

Then there's Solomon Thomas. He is such a likable guy and he's a great athlete...but its just not working man. At this point, looks like a huge bust.

3) O-Line: 49ers have 2 exceptional Tackles in Staley and McGlinchey, but their interior line has been a problem. They could get very little movement in Tampa, but then again I saw the Panthers have the exact same problem against them last night. Vea and Suh are pretty stout and they have 2 fast LBs behind them. My guess though is that the interior of the 49ers line will be an issue all season.

4) Secondary: The Niner secondary was a problem all last year, but IMO I think it was overstated. Yes, there were issues, but they also had ZERO outside pass rush all year and it exposed their DBs. Well with Bosa and Ford, they've resolved that issue, at least for one week. Sherman looks healthier than he did all last year and Witherspoon had the best game of his career...and I'd have said that BEFORE his pick 6 at the end.

This week will be a much better test.

5) Run D: I saw someone here mention that the Bucs got some push, and they did, but its worth noting that it happened largely in the second half, in 95 degree heat, Insane humidity, and after the Niner O did the Niner D no favors in terms of time of possession. There was definitely some sucking wind going on. Also notable, Kwon Alexander was ejected in the first quarter. I heard it'll be pretty damn hot in Cincy as well, so bears watching.

6) WRs: Niners have ALOT of youth at WR and they clearly haven't figured it all out yet. Deebo Samuel looks really good, but he played like a rookie vs Tampa. Pettis hardly played at all and reportedly will play much more on Sunday. At this point though, I have no clue who will be getting the most snaps there. Its doesn't help that Garoppolos favorite WR target Trent Taylor is out and rookie Jalen Hurd hasn't played since week one of preseason with a sore back.

7) Kittle: No joke, Kittle is a superstar. It really started in the tail end of 2017, but the guy is just fantastic. He is a great athlete who was criminally underused at Iowa. He blew up a bit at the combine and can catch and block. Weirdest thing? He was second in the NFL last year in yards after the catch (McCaffery was first). Second. As a TE. In 2018, Kittle racked up 10.2 yards after the catch per reception. That was the most in the NFL by 1.2 yards (Evan Engram, 9.0).

8) RB: Tevin Coleman is out, which sucks, but reality is that there isn't a ton separating any of the Niners top 3 RBs (and I'm not even counting McKinnon whose on IR. Breida and Mostert always seem to play well when given a shot. Both are burners, Mostert being a bit more physical and Breida being more elusive.

Bottom Line, I think the Niners are better than they showed vs Tampa, particularly on O. However, if what I've heard is true than the final score in Seattle isn't indicative of the way the Bengals played. I never really know what to make of Dalton. I liked him coming out of college, but I haven't really followed him closely enough to say anything definitive. His stat line was impressive on sunday tho.

Should be fun. Looking forward to it. Good luck to you all. :)
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 03:20 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Not sure why you guys are making a big deal.

Zach played SF 2 times a year for the last couple of years, so I'm sure he has an idea how SF works, and McVay can always give him some tips. Nothing like a double win, helping a friend who's a new coach to beat your division rivals.

SF Defense didn't look so good. Winston is just that bad. Seattle's Def is much better.

With no run game and no AJ their defense allowed the most passing yards in week one. Their defense may have been top five in years past but from what I saw Sunday they were just a shell of what they once were.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 04:36 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: With no run game and no AJ their defense allowed the most passing yards in week one. Their defense may have been top five in years past but from what I saw Sunday they were just a shell of what they once were.

Yeah, the ENTIRE Legion of Boom is gone and its an entirely new line. Only guy left is Wagner.

Also to tack on what another poster said about the o-line in Seattle....its ALWAYS been bad. Ask ANY Seahawk fan. They will tell you its what has prevented them from going to another championship. It's atrocious. Only reason its passable is that they made a trade for Duane Brown. 

The fact that Wilson can still play under that much duress is an example of just how good he is.

As for previous poster saying Taylor has seen SFs defense....also helps that the teams are running VERY similar offenses. Taylor is from the McVay tree and McVay himself is from the Shanahan tree.

From an offensive scheme standpoint, these teams are very similar.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 05:00 PM)Marvin49 Wrote: Yeah, the ENTIRE Legion of Boom is gone and its an entirely new line. Only guy left is Wagner.

Also to tack on what another poster said about the o-line in Seattle....its ALWAYS been bad. Ask ANY Seahawk fan. They will tell you its what has prevented them from going to another championship. It's atrocious. Only reason its passable is that they made a trade for Duane Brown. 

The fact that Wilson can still play under that much duress is an example of just how good he is.

As for previous poster saying Taylor has seen SFs defense....also helps that the teams are running VERY similar offenses. Taylor is from the McVay tree and McVay himself is from the Shanahan tree.

From an offensive scheme standpoint, these teams are very similar.

It should make for an interesting game.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 11:17 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Thanks for info

I would add this is back to back West Coast to East (3.5 to 4 hour flight) for 49ers as well.

Teams who played back to back road game did not fare well the second week in the past.

the 49ers stayed east this week.  They've been practicing at Youngstown State so travel won't be an issue just 10 days in hotels

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 06:09 PM)pally Wrote: the 49ers stayed east this week.  They've been practicing at Youngstown State so travel won't be an issue just 10 days in hotels

That's correct.

They started doing that in the Harbaugh years. They'd find a few back to back eastern trips and have the team stay in Youngstown for the week between. That's where the DeBartolos/Yorks are from.

From a timeclock perspective, they should be fully acclimated, but the heat/humidity will always be an issue. Surprised that the Bucs wore dark jerseys last week and the Bengals wearing their blacks.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 06:09 PM)pally Wrote: the 49ers stayed east this week.  They've been practicing at Youngstown State so travel won't be an issue just 10 days in hotels

I wonder if they allowed conjugal visits this week.  Ninja

"Women weaken legs!!"--Mick

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 04:06 PM)Marvin49 Wrote: Hey guys,

Niner fan here. No smack talk....just read a number of things in this thread so attempting as non-homerish a scouting report as I could muster.  :)

1) Garoppolo: He seems a bit rusty coming off the ACL. People forget that the dude has only started 11 NFL games. He is 9-2 over that span, but he is an inexperienced QB. There is no question tho that he was really rusty in week 1. He was throwing high and behind on several throws (which isn't normal for him) and in his tenure as a 49er he always has ONE WTF throw (which IS normal for him) where you just have no idea what he's thinking. That was the pick 6 vs Tampa. Usually though, he makes a few "WOW" plays that make up for it. Not so much in Tampa tho. He was consistently so-so all day. Will that continue or does he break out? Dunno.

I think he's going to be really good later in the year, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he continues to struggle vs the Bengals as he knocks off the rust and plays through the injury mentally.

It should be noted tho that the 49ers actually had THREE TDs called back on penalty, including two TDs from Garoppolo to Kittle.

2) D-Line: The D-Line SHOULD be dominant, and I don't mean specifically in this game so its not an indictment of the Cincy O-Line. They have FIVE first round picks on the line. Dee Ford had 13 sacks last year and looked FAST in week 1. Bosa is still hampered a bit by a high ankle sprain that happened in camp, but that dude is for real. He isn't fast moving around, but he can make a tackle look foolish in a hurry. Buckner is a DT and had 12 sacks last year. Armstead has usually looked good for a few games and then always ends up injured. He's not much of a pass-rusher, but the dude can dominate with power when he's healthy. He also had a good game in Tampa.

Then there's Solomon Thomas. He is such a likable guy and he's a great athlete...but its just not working man. At this point, looks like a huge bust.

3) O-Line: 49ers have 2 exceptional Tackles in Staley and McGlinchey, but their interior line has been a problem. They could get very little movement in Tampa, but then again I saw the Panthers have the exact same problem against them last night. Vea and Suh are pretty stout and they have 2 fast LBs behind them. My guess though is that the interior of the 49ers line will be an issue all season.

4) Secondary: The Niner secondary was a problem all last year, but IMO I think it was overstated. Yes, there were issues, but they also had ZERO outside pass rush all year and it exposed their DBs. Well with Bosa and Ford, they've resolved that issue, at least for one week. Sherman looks healthier than he did all last year and Witherspoon had the best game of his career...and I'd have said that BEFORE his pick 6 at the end.

This week will be a much better test.

5) Run D: I saw someone here mention that the Bucs got some push, and they did, but its worth noting that it happened largely in the second half, in 95 degree heat, Insane humidity, and after the Niner O did the Niner D no favors in terms of time of possession. There was definitely some sucking wind going on. Also notable, Kwon Alexander was ejected in the first quarter. I heard it'll be pretty damn hot in Cincy as well, so bears watching.

6) WRs: Niners have ALOT of youth at WR and they clearly haven't figured it all out yet. Deebo Samuel looks really good, but he played like a rookie vs Tampa. Pettis hardly played at all and reportedly will play much more on Sunday. At this point though, I have no clue who will be getting the most snaps there. Its doesn't help that Garoppolos favorite WR target Trent Taylor is out and rookie Jalen Hurd hasn't played since week one of preseason with a sore back.

7) Kittle: No joke, Kittle is a superstar. It really started in the tail end of 2017, but the guy is just fantastic. He is a great athlete who was criminally underused at Iowa. He blew up a bit at the combine and can catch and block. Weirdest thing? He was second in the NFL last year in yards after the catch (McCaffery was first). Second. As a TE. In 2018, Kittle racked up 10.2 yards after the catch per reception. That was the most in the NFL by 1.2 yards (Evan Engram, 9.0).

8) RB: Tevin Coleman is out, which sucks, but reality is that there isn't a ton separating any of the Niners top 3 RBs (and I'm not even counting McKinnon whose on IR. Breida and Mostert always seem to play well when given a shot. Both are burners, Mostert being a bit more physical and Breida being more elusive.

Bottom Line, I think the Niners are better than they showed vs Tampa, particularly on O. However, if what I've heard is true than the final score in Seattle isn't indicative of the way the Bengals played. I never really know what to make of Dalton. I liked him coming out of college, but I haven't really followed him closely enough to say anything definitive. His stat line was impressive on sunday tho.

Should be fun. Looking forward to it. Good luck to you all.   :)

Great information, man, thanks for sharing. I've admitted I don't know all that much about the 49ers (like us, it's not like they get a lot of national coverage these days) so this was exactly what I was looking for.

Sounds like this is really going to come down to who wins in the trenches as both of us have strong d-lines and question marks on the o-line.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 07:47 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Great information, man, thanks for sharing. I've admitted I don't know all that much about the 49ers (like us, it's not like they get a lot of national coverage these days) so this was exactly what I was looking for.

Sounds like this is really going to come down to who wins in the trenches as both of us have strong d-lines and question marks on the o-line.

Exactly.

Also, if the Niners lose a starter on the O-Line, it could get ugly fast...particularly at Tackle.
They had Shon Coleman who was a decent option at swing tackle, but he broke his ankle on like the 5th play of preseason (and it was an ugly, foot pointing in the wrong direction type injury). Now they have Justin Skule as the swing tackle. Yeah....who? Exactly.  Big Grin
Reply/Quote
12% of teams that start 0-2 make the playoffs. We Must Win.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 08:32 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: 12% of teams that start 0-2 miss the playoffs. We Must Win.

Uhm. Do you mean "make the playoffs"? That seems like an awful low number of teams to miss the playoffs after starting 0-2

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 06:15 PM)Marvin49 Wrote: That's correct.

They started doing that in the Harbaugh years. They'd find a few back to back eastern trips and have the team stay in Youngstown for the week between. That's where the DeBartolos/Yorks are from.

From a timeclock perspective, they should be fully acclimated, but the heat/humidity will always be an issue. Surprised that the Bucs wore dark jerseys last week and the Bengals wearing their blacks.

That may explain why they were able to double dip 3 times in 4 years from '11-'14--back to back road wins East of the Mississippi. 

Prior to that, it had been 10 years since they did it.

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 08:57 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That may explain why they were able to double dip 3 times in 4 years from '11-'14--back to back road wins East of the Mississippi. 

Prior to that, it had been 10 years since they did it.

Yes....

...and they've been doing it in years since, but they have sucked in general.  :)   IE, it didn't make a difference because they lost MOST of their games, regardless of location.   Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 09:02 PM)Marvin49 Wrote: Yes....

...and they've been doing it in years since, but they have sucked in general.  :)   IE, it didn't make a difference because they lost MOST of their games, regardless of location.   Big Grin

Harbaugh was an outlier, but he was also really good at turning things around in his first few years at a new place. 

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 09:18 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Harbaugh was an outlier, but he was also really good at turning things around in his first few years at a new place. 

He took a consistently shit team and made them great. And then their owner, instead of giving him a raise and an extension after their SB (even though they lost), turned against him and sunk everything good they had going. What an idiot. 

It gives me hope (that not all owners are completely re tarded) that the Rams owner gave McVay an extension and raise after their SB defeat. Jed York is a compete fool. Sometimes I wonder if he's worse than Mike Brown. 
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote