Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated Cap Space 4/9
(04-09-2020, 05:03 PM)Destro Wrote: Dalton is likely in the position of being a backup, now, with all teams already having a QB #1 or plans on drafting one. Question is how much does someone want to give for a backup ( trade and/or salary ), including the Bengals. Now out of 32 teams, where would he least like to be? I don't know, can't read his mind, but I would have them as my bottom 5, for sure. keeping that around isn't a good thing.

From what I can find, Mariota is currently the highest paid backup QB in the league at 7.5 mil. 

I think I heard that he will be given a shot at the starter job.  But that means no other backup is making more than 7.5.  I actually thought it would be higher than that. 

So, basically, for somewhere in the neighborhood of five, six mil, a veteran backup can be gotten.  It may be a guy pushing 40 but the hope is he never ever sees the field.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 04:29 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Why not? Sign him to a 3 year contract for $8-10 mil per with no signing bonus add incentives if he ends up the starter. 

That should make him very tradeable. If not, we freed up rookie money and try to move him before week 10 next year. There is no rush. And help mentoring Burrow with out being a distraction would make him even more desirable. 

Why sign someone to trade them? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And in all honesty I'm fairly certain AD still wants to play not mentor. Plus, I'm not paying 10 million for him to mentor Burrow anyway.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 12:36 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Thoughts? I hope you're right. I don't want Andy in the locker room or anywhere near Burrow. Nothing against him, but I think he'd just be a distraction. If Andy didn't make himself a distraction, which I sorta doubt, the media probably would. We need to draft Burrow, plug him in as our starter, and let him focus on winning football games.

Use the money to extend AJ and others.

Everything pretty much Andy Dalton as done in his tenure as a Bengal is opposite of being a distraction.. Andy would be one of the best QBs to actually mentor Burrow if the Bengals chose to go that route especially since Andy knows they have tried to trade him and it has not worked out.

With that said, I don;t think they keep Andy.. I really don;t but that does not change anything from the above statement. 
Reply/Quote
To take a positive angle:
When was the last time the Bengals had to worry about going over the cap?!
Tiger Who Dey
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 05:24 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Why sign someone to trade them? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And in all honesty I'm fairly certain AD still wants to play not mentor. Plus, I'm not paying 10 million for him to mentor Burrow anyway.

To make his contract more team-friendly for another team such that they will actually give up draft pick(s) for him.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 04:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have this idea, no evidence to support it, just a hunch.  The idea is that perhaps during the draft, at least a team or two might miss out on a QB that they were looking at, and with Andy being a quality starting QB, the opportunity to gain a valuable pick for him will present itself.

You could be onto something with your Shawn Williams idea.  However, in the 3-4 hybrid, the "Star" or LB/Safety hybrid position is an important one.  I would think that a 3 Safety look would be most effective against teams that run the ball effectively and have mobile/running QBs.  (Ravens for example)

I think this is a real possibility. Day one is only round #1. So teams will have almost 24 hours to make trades. The same for day #3 as after days one and 2, only 3 rounds are complete. So again a window time for team to regroup. If a team has the 1 year money a sketchy starting QB, do you want a 4th round QB rookie or a vet with a winning NFL record on a bad franchise.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 06:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think this is a real possibility. Day one is only round #1. So teams will have almost 24 hours to make trades. The same for day #3 aas after days one and 2, only 3 rounds are complete. So again a window time for team to regroup. If a team has the 1 year money a sketchy starting QB, do you want a 4th round QB rookie or a vet with a winning NFL record on a bad franchise.

I think a lot of teams also look at it and think, well, we could trade assets for Dalton, or just sign Newton or Winston and lose no draft picks. Plus, it seems that most teams are essentially set at QB for this upcoming season, and Dalton is a one year deal. 

Look at the teams that have money on this list. What landing spot do you all see for Dalton? I thought the Bears would be our chance, but they went with Foles.

NFL Cap Room
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 06:52 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I think a lot of teams also look at it and think, well, we could trade assets for Dalton, or just sign Newton or Winston and lose no draft picks. Plus, it seems that most teams are essentially set at QB for this upcoming season, and Dalton is a one year deal. 

Look at the teams that have money on this list. What landing spot do you all see for Dalton? I thought the Bears would be our chance, but they went with Foles.

NFL Cap Room

True but they could do that right now as both are free agents.

They can't with AD
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 07:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: True but they could do that right now as both are free agents.

They can't with AD

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I think teams are hesitant to trade assets for Dalton when they could just sign a Quarterback from free agency that would have comparable cost.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 12:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We finally know the contract details for the rest of the FAs who were signed (woohoo!)
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

The Bengals now have $8.95 mill in cap space.
The one caveat with that is the draft picks are expected to cost ~$11.5 mill when all is said and done, which could put the Bengals over the cap if no one is cut/traded.

I think the most likely scenario that happens is Dalton is traded/cut during or after the draft, freeing up enough cash for the Bengals to not only sign their draft picks but also extend a guy before the season starts. Maybe WJ3 or AJ Green.

Your thoughts?

My thought is I like. Cool
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 12:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We finally know the contract details for the rest of the FAs who were signed (woohoo!)
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

The Bengals now have $8.95 mill in cap space.
The one caveat with that is the draft picks are expected to cost ~$11.5 mill when all is said and done, which could put the Bengals over the cap if no one is cut/traded.

I think the most likely scenario that happens is Dalton is traded/cut during or after the draft, freeing up enough cash for the Bengals to not only sign their draft picks but also extend a guy before the season starts. Maybe WJ3 or AJ Green.

Your thoughts?

When I look at the summary at the bottom of the page it looks like $8.95M after accounting for the draft picks. Or am I reading it wrong?
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 09:48 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: When I look at the summary at the bottom of the page it looks like $8.95M after accounting for the draft picks. Or am I reading it wrong?

You are reading it wrong.
The draft picks are italicized because it hasn't happened yet. It's just showing what it's estimated to be.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 05:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: To make his contract more team-friendly for another team such that they will actually give up draft pick(s) for him.

What makes you think he’d a) sign such a contract or b) a team would be willing to trade for it while you accept all the risk (like injury or team chemistry)? Do you think that’s a good route to take?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 12:38 PM)McC Wrote: I agree.  I would have no problem with signing a veteran backup for a lot less than 17.7 mil.

Is McCarron available?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 09:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You are reading it wrong.
The draft picks are italicized because it hasn't happened yet. It's just showing what it's estimated to be.

Got it now. Thanks.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 10:28 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: What makes you think he’d a) sign such a contract or b) a team would be willing to trade for it while you accept all the risk (like injury or team chemistry)? Do you think that’s a good route to take?

The ONLY reason I think Dalton would sign such a contract is because he has no guaranteed money coming if cut, so he'd basically make nothing until he's picked up by another team. And most of the teams already have a starter in place, so the likelihood he's going to make more than $8-10 mill a year after being cut could be slim.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 10:43 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Is McCarron available?

I don't know but I don't want to bring him back as some might start talking about starting him over Burrow lol
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 04:29 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Why not? Sign him to a 3 year contract for $8-10 mil per with no signing bonus add incentives if he ends up the starter. 

That should make him very tradeable. If not, we freed up rookie money and try to move him before week 10 next year. There is no rush. And help mentoring Burrow with out being a distraction would make him even more desirable. 

Not sure I see why Dalton would ever sign that deal.

In a world where Carr is making $25m/yr, Tannehill is making $29.5m/yr, Cousins is making $33m/yr, and Dak Prescott is getting $29-30m for 1 year... Dalton is just a hurt starter and a stretch of 3-4 good (not even great) starts away from making at least $20m/yr.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 03:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not sure I see why Dalton would ever sign that deal.

In a world where Carr is making $25m/yr, Tannehill is making $29.5m/yr, Cousins is making $33m/yr, and Dak Prescott is getting $29-30m for 1 year... Dalton is just a hurt starter and a stretch of 3-4 good (not even great) starts away from making at least $20m/yr.

What starting gigs are open right now though that would want to give Dalton $20 mill a year?

NE is really the only wide open one.

MIA is likely to take a QB at 5 and has Fitzmagic as a stopgap.
LAC is likely to take a QB at 3 and has Taylor as a stopgap.

Minshew did well for JAX last year (3200 yards, 21 TDs, 6 INTs in 12 starts), so they may not view Dalton worth $20 mill a year. They may be interested in Dalton though in the $8-12 mill range to compete with Minshew.

DEN may be interested in Dalton to compete with Lock, but they may want to roll with Lock as their starter given he ended with a 4-1 record last year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 03:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not sure I see why Dalton would ever sign that deal.

All those guys are starters and Dalton is not.  Apples to oranges.

If he gets cut and signs somewhere else it will be as a backup and for much less than 20 mil.  No backup QB makes more than 7.5 mil. 

Unless he signs a one year deal as a backup and the starter goes down and Dalton steps in and tears it up and he signs a new deal to be a starter, Dalton will never see anywhere close to 20 mil a year ever again.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote