Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated PFF OL tells the tale
(10-12-2022, 05:14 PM)jj22 Wrote: Run blocking "remains an issue'. Can't even show any love for the much improved numbers we saw with our own eyes.

one game of having a good run performance doesnt mean everything's kosher now with run blocking
Reply/Quote
It doesn't but they could have saved the shot for when the bad run game returned.... Why take it now when Mixon had his best outing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 05:14 PM)jj22 Wrote: Run blocking "remains an issue'. Can't even show any love for the much improved numbers we saw with our own eyes.

(10-12-2022, 05:15 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: one game of having a good run performance doesnt mean everything's kosher now with run blocking

(10-12-2022, 05:17 PM)jj22 Wrote: It doesn't but they could have saved the shot for when the bad run game returned.... Why take it now when Mixon had his best outing.

You can when they changed the scheme to something they're more able to do successfully.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I really think this current OL is just better at power blocking than zone blocking.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 02:58 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I hope to see them get it together against a great defense on Sunday. Put up 30 and we'll be able to rest easy. If they continue to struggle like against the Cowboys, Steelers, and Ravens, its' hard to say how good we'll be this year.

Yes, this game against a great Defense will tell a lot.

(10-12-2022, 03:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's a blend of factors that include play calling.  What enables play calling to be effective?  Flawless execution.

For sure.

(10-12-2022, 03:57 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We changed to a run gap scheme the majority of the plays instead of wide zone.

Vs Ravens:
Gap = 6.6 yds per carry
WZ = 2.7 yds per carry (close to Mixon's average)

Nice, thanks for this Casear, I thought they changed up the scheme to a run Gap. Keep it up.

These OL are clearly more directional blockers and aren't known for their athleticism, something needed in a wide zone.

I know La'el is athletic when he is healthy but he must not be 100% with his back as he doesn't look athletic right now.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 05:36 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I really think this current OL is just better at power blocking than zone blocking.

Some of us were saying this going back to before the opener.... Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 03:57 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We changed to a run gap scheme the majority of the plays instead of wide zone.

Vs Ravens:
Gap = 6.6 yds per carry

Interesting, so our interior OL are much more efficient in designed power plays than in picking up defenders laterally.  It might look like boring football, but a team with an OL that can effectively execute ISOs, Traps, and Whams (TE traps) is likely to average over 4 yds/ attempt. (fewer "melee gaps" for athletic defenders to exploit=fewer hits behind the LOS)  Which can lead to some timely PA stuff and preferred receivers able to exploit one on one coverage, later in the game.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It seems to me you would Taylor your schemes and plays to what your players are proficient at. But I stayed at a TravelLodge last night, so….
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 05:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: And that was on a 15/3 gap/zone ratio. They had been splitting it mostly down the middle with a slight edge going to zone up until this past Sunday.

So, they're making adjustments.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 03:59 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Unfortunately we have posters that don't watch things like this. 1 guy out of the 11 can screw up a play in which everybody wants ZT's head on a platter. Be it a G not getting to the 2nd level, a T not sliding inside, a TE missing a chip or a WR not cracking down on a block.

It is his job to make sure the players can execute the play and run it flawlessly. If they can't run it in practice flawlessly they should not try to run it in a game.

In any case it reflects directly on the head coach.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2022, 11:11 AM)Wyche Wrote: So, they're making adjustments.....

People always want the quick fix. If it doesn't work one game, change it all up for the next game. 

I don't know the pace that they're changing, or exactly how much their changing from what they wanted to do preseason...but i would think that they would start the year and want to run what they want to run until it gets shut down for multiple games (as anyone would). 

People who aren't in the building and don't know what it takes to impliment a weekly game plan, let alone change up what you need to do from that original plan that you just spent 2 months practicing, think you can just dump the whole pot and start a new batch of soup, voila.

A lot of the suggestions and criticisms i've seen have been pretty reasonable and wouldn't seem that hard to do--add RPO, more play action, different run scheme, etc--but HCs are stubborn, man. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2022, 11:22 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: It is his job to make sure the players can execute the play and run it flawlessly. If they can't run it in practice flawlessly they should not try to run it in a game.

No coach can make every player run every play flawlessley, every time. 

That's completely unrealistic. 

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2022, 11:39 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: People always want the quick fix. If it doesn't work one game, change it all up for the next game. 

I don't know the pace that they're changing, or exactly how much their changing from what they wanted to do preseason...but i would think that they would start the year and want to run what they want to run until it gets shut down for multiple games (as anyone would). 

People who aren't in the building and don't know what it takes to impliment a weekly game plan, let alone change up what you need to do from that original plan that you just spent 2 months practicing, think you can just dump the whole pot and start a new batch of soup, voila.

A lot of the suggestions and criticisms i've seen have been pretty reasonable and wouldn't seem that hard to do--add RPO, more play action, different run scheme, etc--but HCs are stubborn, man. 

Absolutely, spot on. Great post. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2022, 11:22 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: It is his job to make sure the players can execute the play and run it flawlessly. If they can't run it in practice flawlessly they should not try to run it in a game.

Yes it is his job but the same uneducated sports-world mob will still whistle to the tune of get rid of ZT as the play-caller. How do you know it's not run correctly in practice? Takes one simple mishap to eff' up the outcome of a play.

Should the SB winning Rams have dumped Sean Mcvay a year ago when they dropped 3 in a row in late Nov./early Dec. when they scored a total of 50 points in those games? Was everything they were running simply not working in practice? Again, for the mildly confused whether you've played the game or not, it takes all 11 players to run a play successfully. From the players intrinsically involved in that play to the player the furthest away from the action who simply might not be selling out the fake on the defense correctly.

Cinci. has FOUR, yes, FOUR new starting OL and just a pretty good starting LT and NONE (all 5 plus the TE) of them played a down together until they had to line up against Watt. I'd like to think you might be one of the very very few % of people on this site that understand that and how vital their jobs are both physically and innately but not sure.
Reply/Quote

Vs Ravens:
Gap = 6.6 yds per carry

It's almost like some of us said they'd have to change the run blocking scheme because they didn't bring in guys who could execute wide zone well...low and behold, they have much more success when they aren't doing wide zone.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 06:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Interesting, so our interior OL are much more efficient in designed power plays than in picking up defenders laterally.  It might look like boring football, but a team with an OL that can effectively execute ISOs, Traps, and Whams (TE traps) is likely to average over 4 yds/ attempt. (fewer "melee gaps" for athletic defenders to exploit=fewer hits behind the LOS)  Which can lead to some timely PA stuff and preferred receivers able to exploit one on one coverage, later in the game.

All of this ^, also this group is very solid in Duo, which should be be very effective vs light boxes.

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 02:29 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: 26. CINCINNATI BENGALS (UP 6)

Projected Week 6 Starters:

LT Jonah Williams
LG Cordell Volson
C Ted Karras
RG Alex Cappa
RT La’el Collins

Cincinnati’s line was far better this week than in previous outings this season. Nobody on the line allowed more than one pressure against Baltimore.
Run blocking remains an issue, but if their pass protection continues on this trajectory, the team will consider that a major win.
Upcoming Opponent: New Orleans Saints

The Saints have elite talent up front, but it’s not playing up to that level in 2022. The team ranks fourth-worst in pressure rate and blitzes at the third-lowest rate.

i think we would have been losing money in Vegas that after 5 games, with that this revamped line would be 26th in any ranking and wow last through week 4.  

Say what you want about play calling, Burrow under performing, the Oline is the main reason we sit at 2-3, lets hope the improvement from last game continues or we are in for a tough year to make the playoffs
Reply/Quote