Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated Pro Bowl votes
Don't underrate how lousy a name Cousins actually is. Who wants their cousins to be better than they are? Smirk
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 01:08 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I think it comes down to the whole argument that you need an elite NFL QB to win the Super Bowl. Thus, the good guys get overlooked for their accomplishments. Cousins exemplifies a good, but not elite talent.

It's also funny how much winning a title changes the narrative about the QB.  Matt Ryan was always viewed as a good QB, but had he won that one Super Bowl, up 28-3 in the 4th quarter, I think he would be viewed much differently.  
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2021, 10:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It's also funny how much winning a title changes the narrative about the QB.  Matt Ryan was always viewed as a good QB, but had he won that one Super Bowl, up 28-3 in the 4th quarter, I think he would be viewed much differently.  

For sure & for just a brief window Flacco had his elite moment because he played elite for a stretch of games which lead to a Super Bowl victory (It didn't hurt him a DB on the Broncos botched coverage in the playoffs).
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2021, 10:54 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: For sure & for just a brief window Flacco had his elite moment because he played elite for a stretch of games which lead to a Super Bowl victory (It didn't hurt him a DB on the Broncos botched coverage in the playoffs).

He did have a hell of a run in those playoffs.  And it wasn't just against Denver (although for that game situation, it was horrible), but Anquan Boldin won most of those games for him.  Dude was unbelievable.  Flacco just threw it up, and like a rebounder, Q would come down with it.  

I always joked that Flacco should have given half of his contract to Q, as he was largely responsible for it.  
Reply/Quote
Flacco was never elite. Just got hot in the playoffs

Matt Ryan is also a hall of famer at the end of the day
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2021, 11:04 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Flacco was never elite. Just got hot in the playoffs

Yes, this was already stated:

Quote:for just a brief window Flacco had his elite moment because he played elite for a stretch of games
Reply/Quote
The QB that has a chance to really change his legacy this year is Matt Stafford.  He put up big numbers his entire career with the worst franchises in the league (4 winning seasons in last 20 years).  With the Rams this year he 4th in passer rating and 3rd in passing yards.  If they can get their shit back together and win a couple of playoff games Stafford will start getting a lot more credit as one of the best QBs in the league.

He is only 33 but has over 300 tds and close to 50,000 yards.  He has a good shot at Hall of Fame numbers if he can just get a few big wins.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2021, 12:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The QB that has a chance to really change his legacy this year is Matt Stafford.  He put up big numbers his entire career with the worst franchises in the league (4 winning seasons in last 20 years).  With the Rams this year he 4th in passer rating and 3rd in passing yards.  If they can get their shit back together and win a couple of playoff games Stafford will start getting a lot more credit as one of the best QBs in the league.

He is only 33 but has over 300 tds and close to 50,000 yards.  He has a good shot at Hall of Fame numbers if he can just get a few big wins.

Agreed, and he has the team to really do something. I think he should be getting more credit as a top QB, but the narratives are usually built in the playoffs and it is just really, really hard to win in the playoffs. I'd like to think he will have some PO success in LA. 
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2021, 12:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The QB that has a chance to really change his legacy this year is Matt Stafford.  He put up big numbers his entire career with the worst franchises in the league (4 winning seasons in last 20 years).  With the Rams this year he 4th in passer rating and 3rd in passing yards.  If they can get their shit back together and win a couple of playoff games Stafford will start getting a lot more credit as one of the best QBs in the league.

Unfortunately he has to rely on Odell as his #2 option now. A guy who doesn’t finish his routes and is often injured
Reply/Quote
Reader getting no love is a mystery.
Reply/Quote

To me, Stafford gets filed away with QBs like Rivers and Matt Ryan. I'm not sure if they were great, or just "really good" with the benefit of playing in pass happy offenses in an era with inflated passing stats due to rule changes. None of these 3 ever won much in the playoffs.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have guys like Eli Manning and Flacco, who were entirely average and maybe even below average in regular season, but strung together amazing playoff runs.

If the first set of guys had these playoff runs, I'd say they are shoe-ins for the HOF. As it stands, it should be interesting to see who gets voted in.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote